Please help with aftermarket tachometer

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Please help with aftermarket tachometer

Squirlye
I am an absolute idiot when it comes to electrical work. If it's not plug n play I'm screwed. I'm trying to install a aftermarket tach. And the directions are very specific and easy to understand. But when I try to find the wires or fuse location it doesn't make any sense. So I've included a few pictures. Can anyone please tell me what exact wire or fuse or anywhere to connect the wires to. I'm about to receive an new HEI distributer in a few days. And I'm sure I will need help with that as well. Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it.971E0D6D-FAC9-41A9-9B43-E18A4031C585.jpegD5FF2677-9962-49FF-BA2C-C8291EBAD065.jpeg876BE160-A5BF-4533-8410-BC50E74589D0.jpeg977D6206-F8BA-4DD1-BE9B-FDD45527CF21.jpeg
Squirlye, 86 F-150 short bed, 300 I6, 4x4, 4 speed, HEI distributer with computer delete. And more to come.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Please help with aftermarket tachometer

FuzzFace2
This post was updated on .
Let try this again, had something typed and lost it
You will need a 12 volt test light or a meter, I like the light.

In the fuse box key off check to see what has power, take note.
Then with key on and take note.
You need one that has power only when the key is on.
If it has a fuse you will need a fuse tap to tap power from it.
This will be your 12 volt with key on for the tach.
(edit) the slot just above the 5a dash light fuse may have power with key on but check to make sure.
You will also need a "tap" to hook a wire and fuse to it.

For the dash lash light wire can be a little harder to find.
You might find something in the fuse box? Did you find a fuse that did not have power to it?
Maybe it was marked "dash lights"?
Turn on the head lights and see if it has power now and if so see what happens if you turn the dimmer down? This may be where the "dash light" wire gets hooked to.
(edit) maybe the 5a fuse at the bottom center?

The ground can be to any metal part of the truck.

The wire to the coil gets hooked to the NEG. side of the coil.
On the HEI dist, there should be a place to hook this wire to and marked as such.

Think that should cove it.
If you need help post up
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Squirlye
Take a look at the EVTM on the Charge page as it makes the fuse logic easier to digest.

Also check out the #1 option here as it has circuits that do what you need of unused and you want to go with a 'connector' approach.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
We need to help you with posting pictures.
Have you had a look at the FAQ's???

Be sure to have a relay, socket, some terminals and primary wire in hand when your new distributor arrives.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I would probably use the ash tray light for illumination
Do you see wire 19 (light blue & red)?

It is easy to get to, and close by when you go to make a ground connection at G701.

For power in run, check the power windows circuit 400 (light blue & black)
You could use a "tap-a-fuse" in position 14.

The tach signal is going to come from wire 11. (dk green & yellow) which you can find in the 'A' side connector 208 behind the instrument cluster.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Squirlye
Hey thanks for the help. These last couple of pictures and schematics help me understand it now. I also just got my new HEI dizzy. So I will be looking for advice on wiring it up as well. My biggest problem with electrical work is not understanding all of the different relays, resistors, fuse blocks, fusible links etc....
I have a very mechanical mind. I can fabricate almost anything. Pretty much out of any kind of material. If it bolts screws or nails. It doesn't matter. I have a photographic memory when it comes to mechanical parts. I built my very first bicycle when I was six. By the time I graduated high school I could weld, use a milling machine and lathe. I built houses for 25 years. But for the life of me I cannot get my head around electrical work. As for my uploading pictures, I have no idea why these last pictures came over as links. And the pictures that I uploaded of my distributer came up fine. I didn't do anything different. And once again I appreciate all of the help from all of you guys.
Squirlye, 86 F-150 short bed, 300 I6, 4x4, 4 speed, HEI distributer with computer delete. And more to come.