classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Plastic repair advice (interior)

Ford F834
Administrator
I know there have been some really good discussions around plastic repair products related to fixing broken radio bezel tabs etc., However, these have been instances where missing plastic was built up and replaced.

The repair job I am wanting to do right now is to re-attach a broken tab from a plastic door map pocket. It is the brittle (ABS?) type of material. My initial thought was just to reach for the 2-part clear epoxy, but if there is a better option I am all ears.

These interior map pockets are not particularly common, and are often broken because they are so brittle. Mine are in great shape minus the one tab on the driver side. They are also a one-year-wonder because the truck was a 1984 which is the first year for Canyon Red, and the last year for plastic map pockets (went to carpet for 85/86). I purchased a beautiful Canyon Red interior for my crew cab, but the carpet map pockets are sagging and warping. I don't like how fragile these are, but they will actually look more correct with my 82/83 XLS theme. This is the truck they came from:

SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Plastic repair advice (interior)

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
To follow up on your thoughts about epoxy
My instinct would be West System G-flex with a fiberglass bandaid on the back to add tensile strength to the repair.
This epoxy is not fast drying, and will allow you the time to wet out the fiberglass and remove any excess.

If you are looking for an epoxy in a syringe, Devcon 22045 plastic welder hardens quickly and smells like it has some acrylic monomer in it.
Seems to get a good 'bite' on interior plastic in my limited experience with it.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Those may actually be PVC.  In any event, I was able to glue mine with PVC glue.  But I think Jim's suggestion is even better.

Another thing that I did was to embed a piece of metal, maybe 3/8" x 1/8" x the length of the pocket, in the top lip of the pocket - right where the pocket will hit people's legs.  That's where one of mine was broken and I could see that it wasn't going to survive without some reinforcement.

So I laid that strip in on edge, meaning flat horizontally, so it would be less likely to bend and glued it in.  Not sure what I used, but I do have some G-flex on Jim's recommendation, so may have used that.  In any event it really stiffened up the top of the pocket but can't be see since it is below the lip.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Excellent tip Gary! I will definitely be doing that. I am not rough on my trucks but I do use them, and stuff is bound to happen. Hopefully that will prevent heartbreak down the road.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I envision another how-to in the making.  

By the way, I think there's a lip on the top of the whole pocket where your break is.  I'd glue a splint across the break or, as Jim suggested, use fiberglass cloth.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Easy repair. No epoxy, won't hold up. YOu need two things, a soldering iron and some ABS
 plumbing cement. I have done a lot of repairs with ABS. Even things that get painted body color and are exterior. So trust me on this. The ABS cement can be bought  at Lowes or such. Because it is a cement, it will dissolve and weld the ABS plastic. It can also be used as a filler, for that reason and also that it contains some ABS in it. You start with the soldering iron, melting ( welding ) the plastic back together. ABS is a thermoplastic, so it melts with heat. Since you have a grain on the front, you want to weld from the rear. Try not to go through, but you do want to melt it back together. Then once securely attached, cover the area and some surrounding area, with the cement. Let it dry a couple hours. You will be amazed at what you can fix this way when dealing with ABS.

Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Thanks Pete! How do I tell what kind of plastic it is? ABS? PVC? I assume there are cements that work with each? Luckily my broken tab will not show. The fracture is right at the line where the door card meets the map pocket so it will be in a dark crack if you can see it at all. The only reason I am repairing it is because I am afraid it will rattle, and that is one of my worst pet peeves. There are plenty of other fasteners to hold it on.

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Either plastic a thermoplastic, so melting it together is the start. You may be good enough with just melting/welding it back together. I've used a pencil type soldering iron to add grain back into the piece on teh front side, many times. I have done this with consoles.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Pete,
That looks like a '70's Honda side cover.

Have you ever used your hot iron to embed metal screen in the back side of a plastic repair?
We used to do this with bumper covers before hot air welders and compatible repair sticks were available.

If you want to use plumbing cement as a filler, consider shaving similar plastic into it to thicken.
A $.69 fitting and a block plane or Surform tool will make flakes that easily dissolve and add body to your concoction.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I use http://www.plastex.net/
to repair the dash bezel on my 70 AMC Javelin. The lip that screws go thru to hold it to the main frame was missing. I built a mold to make a new lip.

The mold

Fixed

Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100