6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Pinstripe colors

ckuske
Administrator
Hi All,

I've been wondering... my truck orignally had Type 6 pinstriping on it.

I believe it had this

I've been looking, and haven't been able to find a Pantone color, RGB, or even color sample anywhere.  I can try to dig up a picture from when the truck was new, but I'm hoping someone has this info somewhere?

I'd like for it to be as close as possible, and "Blue" and "Blue" doesn't help much in the description.

Oh, and the paint code that was original (and will be again) is Midnight Metallic, Code 3L

Thanks!

Chris
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Pinstripe colors

Steve83
Banned User
I've looked for over a decade, and I've never found a source for anything close to factory pinstripe tape from Ford, paint stores, parts stores, etailers, or NOS.  I'm considering trying to get it done as a wrap material, but there are SO MANY color combinations...
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Agreed!  I've resigned myself to the fact that I have to have something custom made.  Just what the darn colors are is the trick!  

For instance, do we think the color names in the list match interior colors perhaps?

I just want whatever I have custom printed to be the same color as the original, or as close as I can get.  There just doesn't seem to a source for how to get these colors made... (what the CYMK, RGB, or Pantone color is, for instance)
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have the '83 exterior color chip chart here: Documentation/Literature/1983 Literature/1983 FORD LIGHT TRUCK EXTERIOR COLOR SELECTIONS.  But, what I saw on my screens, plural, after scanning that in was not what I saw when holding it in my hand.  And there's no way what you see on your screen(s) will be correct.

So if you are basing your color choice on something like that you need to buy a chip chart and work from that.  They aren't expensive.

Or work from the paint codes, which are shown here: Documentation/Specifications/Exterior Paint Codes.

As for interior colors, I don't have them in a chip chart.  In fact, I'm not sure one of those exists.  But I do have them listed here: Documentation/Specifications/Interior Paint.  And SEM has paint to match those colors.  However, it is not off-the-shelf paint - you'll have to have it mixed.

Please let us know what you figure out.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by ckuske
ckuske wrote
...have something custom made.  Just what the darn colors are is the trick!
You're making it harder than it has to be...  You're replacing ALL the tape on the truck,right?  Think about it: NO ONE knows what the colors should be.  So who could tell you yours are wrong?   Pick the colors you like, and get back to driving the truck.   The top & bottom colors of the tape should match the paint; the stripe colors only need to compliment that color IN YOUR OPINION.

You only have to get the original colors if you're keeping some original tape.

...in which case you HAVE the original colors to match them.
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Hi Steve,

Yep, you're right.  It's my un-diagnosed OCD shining through here.

The only person that will know is me... haha.  Thanks for the perspective, I'll give it a bit of a look and then move on to more important things.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris