Parts shop can't find the right U-joints for 1986 F-250HD 2wd

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Parts shop can't find the right U-joints for 1986 F-250HD 2wd

RenoHuskerDu
My son wrenches at a local garage. Their parts supplier says they can't find out which U-joints belong on the ends of the driveshaft. They located the middle U-joint, and the carrier bearing.

I suggested using a micrometer to measure them, but apparently this particular parts shop is more like AutoZone and less like NAPA. The nearest NAPA is in the other direction from here.

A while back I spec'd a diff for our Bricknose with Custom Differentials in Bloomsdale, Missouri. They informed that the truck might have THREE different U-joints in it.  Hopefully that's not the case here.

I just might have to take the driveshaft to NAPA after all.

Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Parts shop can't find the right U-joints for 1986 F-250HD 2wd

Bruce moose4x4
The Precision U-joint book shows for the front joint in a three joint shaft.
Front joint using U-bolts is a 434
Front joint NOT using U-bolts is a 354
Center joint is a 354
Rear Joint is a 434

Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by RenoHuskerDu
When I installed a Ford T5 5sp in my 70 AMC Javelin that had a AMC T10 I had to use the T5 yoke and a joint to fit the yoke to the AMC drive shaft.
Like you posted I took measurements went to NAPA they pulled out the chart and I went thru it to find the one I needed.

Time to measure and hit NAPA
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
Pulled the end joints and found this, except for 10+ years of congealed grease.  Note differing cap sizes.  Also note, the snap rings don't go in the groove on the cap, they go outside the caps. My son will take one joint to work tomorrow and I'll take its twin to Napa. Pincer attack.

Parts store says the middle joint is a Moog 254, we have that now at his work, my son will try install tomorrow.

Is there a trick to separating the splined slip joint? We tried, unsuccessfully, two big guys.
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looks like you are going to get it done.  But I've not seen a production use of a u-joint with different sized caps.  In fact, the snippet from the master parts catalog, below, seems to say Ford didn't use u-joints with differing cap sizes.  Otherwise they'd have to have "D1" and "D2".  I'm wondering if someone has installed a larger axle in that truck.

As for the splined joint, I had to put a chain through the u-joint eyes and put the other end around my lift's leg, place the differential on a cart, and roll the cart hard several times to get the stub shaft out of the diff on Dad's truck.

But you may find something in the section from the factory shop manual on the Front Drive Axle in Documentation/Driveline and then the Front Axles/Instructions/Dana 44 tabs.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Gary,  IME Ford is notorious for using combination (or 'bastard') universals.

Spicer lists them, and they are available from Moog as well.

It's not necessarily that someone swapped *yokes* or anything like that.

Yes, measure the cup diameters AND the distance across the cross both ways to ensure you're getting the right ones the first time around.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I guess I just haven't run into it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.neapcocomponents.com/images/catalogs/9901018.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjao9Kfo6jlAhUSmuAKHdQ5BJ0QFggtMAg&usg=AOvVaw18hiXo5HfvEqXeio2i2-TU
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I have run into it many times, I had a good friend owned an independent parts store in Newport News, I could take an odd ball U-joint to him, and he could find a match to it.

I have run into combinations where not only was the cross differing lengths, the "pins" were different diameters and the caps two different styles, one would be an external snap ring the other internal.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
Since I was a punk kid street racer with a jacked-up 289 Mustang I hi-po'd (never lost a race), I've heard Ford parts guys gripe about how hard Furd makes their jobs; Partial production, substitutions, obsolete, check the VIN...maybe, here - try these two.

So I'm ready to believe anything.  Both front and rear U-joints are the same, but the larger cap is on the driveshaft side. This might be a case of somebody putting in a better driveshaft since 1986.
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
NAPA UJ458 found by measurement. It wasn't listed for this truck. I suspect somebody upgraded the driveshaft.  
Made in China...

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Reno is in Texas, but is HuskerDu the band or the game?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Another TSB:

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
Straight edge before it was cool, Husker Du
https://youtu.be/J1sYN0PuRs4
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It was always cool.  

Man, I miss those times.
But then, I got started in high school in the '70's.

Running Alphabet City before the crack came and ruined the vitality of the art scene on the LES.
 Jim,