Parking brake tightening?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Parking brake tightening?

swampedout
Hey everyone. My rear drums are way out of spec. Parking brake does nothing. Therefore, as I understand, my braking power is almost nonexistent in the rear.
I know this may be hard to explain over the internet but does anyone know which way Id have to turn the star wheel to tighten the drums?
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Parking brake tightening?

Danny G
Are you talking about the little adjusting screw between the pads?
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Turning it clockwise should tighten the brakes and turning it counterclockwise should loosen the brakes, depending on which way the threaded portion is this will be towards you or away from you. Threads facing left should be away and threads facing right should be towards. Been a long time since I have opened a drum.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
The parking brake cable is also adjustable on the outside of the frame.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
Good point about the adjusting the cable. Sounds much more enjoyable than messing with the star wheel.

Thanks for everyones help. Ill report back
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Hopefully it will be that
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by swampedout
Sam, the wheel goes down when viewed through the oval hole in the backing plate.
I have a few brake adjusting spoons, but tend to use the 60* head on my shorter Snap-On one.

Why not pull the drums and see what's actually going on?

Tightening the cable isn't going to help the wheel cylinders do their job, and it isn't going to help the parking brake situation either, if it's already beyond that point.
It will only affect the position of the lever arm, and in turn the cam attached to it.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Sam, while this addresses the opposite problem -dragging- you may find it helpful in understanding how all the parts work together.

https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-resources/brakes-and-brake-components/ford-light-truck-rear-drum-installation-problems-severe-brake-drag/

And this:
https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-resources/brakes-and-brake-components/importance-drum-brake-self-adjusters/

Adjusting the cable will help if it is visibly slack on the drivers side frame tail, and the pedal goes to the floor with almost no resistance.
It doesn't adjust your brakes at all, just the slack in the cable....
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Danny G
Adjusters are right and left.
The little self adjuster that is supposed to work when you apply the brakes while reversing lifts up (when viewed from the outside (wheel and drum off)

This means the star wheel must go down when viewed from the adjuster hole in the backing plate.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
He may have to back it off just to get the drums off.
If the drums are worn and the lip won't get past the shoes.

I guess I should have said "adjusting the cable won't have any effect on the braking ability of the rear".
The wheel cylinders have only so much stroke, and without adjusting the shoes at the bottom, the wheel cylinder can't do its job before topping out or actually popping out!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Definitely listen to these guys. When I got my 80 the cable had frayed so the PO used some wire rope clips and a short piece of cable to tie it all together. This caused it to be too long and the pedal bottomed out before engaging the brakes. I also had to pull the pedal back up part of the way.

Unless something obvious like that shows up under there, these guys are right that it's time to pull the drums.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Scott, was the clock spring in the pedal assembly itself broken or missing?

I'd think the e-brake should be able to return the pedal, even with the cable cut clean through.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
In reply to this post by old55pete
Ah I see.
Jim and Steve, thank you for clarifying.
I know the most thorough course of action would be to remove the drums. Maybe i will do that next weekend.
I was thinking Id try adjusting the star wheel but if I risk shooting out all the hardware in there, thats probably not a good idea.
Now Im really glad I asked!
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You're not likely to "shoot out the hardware"..

The wheel cylinder piston can pop out if the shoes are WAY out of adjustment -and- the residual pressure check valve is gummed up and keeping it on top of its stroke.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I didn't think there was a return spring in the pedal assembly besides the handle one. I thought it was the springs in the drums on the cable that returned it?
With that 80 it's possible something else is amiss. I've just been carrying around a short 4x4 on the flatbed that I throw in front/behind the tired when I get out so haven't tried the pedal in a long time
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You know Scott, that may be one of the 'improvements' of my Bricknose parking brake assembly over the Bullnose one.

I know they interchange, but have different part numbers.
 Jim,