Parking Brake Sticking??

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Parking Brake Sticking??

Jmac1773
Hey, everyone. Been a while since I posted and, as you can probably guess, I've run into a problem. I'll describe what's happening.

I loaded up my 86 and went to the dump and they have, obviously, a dirt pad and road in there. I parked, unloaded the truck, and prepared to leave. Started off in 2nd as always, pushed the clutch to go to 3rd, and heard the driver's side rear tire skidding on the gravel. I stopped, tried the parking brake release a few times, drive in reverse and hit the brakes to see if it would help.

It finally seemed to but I even noticed a little more slowing down than normal when depressing the clutch to shift on the paved roads home.

Then it went away. Or seemed to.

So now I'm trying to fix this issue that I assume is the parking brake sticking. Had a difficult time getting the drum off but finally did. So... Can you Bullnose gurus take a look at the following pics and tell me if anything looks... off... to any of you? From what I've seen so far, the front-facing pad looks to be a little more worn than the back one. Would that be a sign of the parking brake sticking?

Many thanks. I wrote this on mobile so hopefully the pics came through.

20210414_160154.jpg

20210414_165024.jpg

20210414_165047.jpg
1986 F150 XL/Flareside/4X4/300ci
NE Texas
2 Chron 7:14
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Parking Brake Sticking??

FuzzFace2
From what I could tell from the pictures all looks good.
Being you are that far apart I would remove the E brake cable and make sure it is free to move and maybe lube it or maybe just replace it or both.

Now the only issue I had with my 81 F100 when I replace the cables was the springs that push the arms back were to long and when installed looped down and would rub on the drum.
I even get a 2nd set that were the same way and dont know why?

The E brake also dose not work all that great and also most not at all in reverse.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
Agree fully with Dave/Fuzz.  

This happened to me back in the day but now I have brand new cables and enjoy pressing on my parking break.  But, for a long time, I was using a block of wood as my parking break.  For a while, I got away with oiling the casing to release the parking break and then just never applied the parking break.  When I accidentally did, I'd have to get under the truck and yank on the cables with the housing.  Ok, so...

You might get away with a little bit of a temporary solution of oiling the metal casing/housing that is surrounding the brake cable as it progresses to the brake drum.  I'd focus on the area after the "splitter".  So, the place from where the cable splits from one to two, especially the driver's side metal casing/housing.  Wipe it down with a rag soaked with motor oil or maybe some WD40/PB Blaster.  Then, flex it a bit.  It might be that a strand of wire that makes up the cable has broken and is getting caught in the housing/lining.  If the oil penetrates, it allows for some lubrication of course.  Yanking on it, might free up the stuck little strand.  

I think I'm not being terribly coherent but hope I am making a bit of sense!
1984 F-150 2wd short bed with 4.9L, 4 speed overdrive manual transmission, and 3.08 rear end (18) switched to the 3.55 limited slip (H9).
Reply | Threaded
|

Jmac1773
Thanks for the input, guys.  

I'll try lubricating the parking brake cable and see if that helps.

Also, would replacing the brake hardware be a good idea - just in case?  Found a drum brake hardware kit (by Dynamic Friction - the only one that said it was for 4WD) on Rock Auto for lass than $7.  Figured it couldn't hurt.  Right?
NE Texas
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It can't hurt - if you install it correctly.  Do one side at a time so you can use the other as a guide.  And take pics before you start.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
In reply to this post by Jmac1773
To me, replacing all the springs/hardware makes good sense.   I just did my drums and put in new hardware - like $20 for 2 sets Carlson brand from Amazon.  Looks better and you can have faith in it's not 40 years old.  Mine was terribly rusty - the adjuster cables had rusted in two on both sides.

The "better looking" means it should be easier to deal with next time.   I also cleaned all the hard parts that weren't sent with kit and painted them.   Yes the paint probably won't last long, but that and some brake grease should help it all be less rusty/dirty/worn next time.  

Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Jmac1773
Randy -  thanks for the response!  I'm ordering one right now.

I'm going to also replace the brake shoes while I'm at it.  From looking at the pics I posted, do I have riveted or bonded shoes?

It's been forever since I messed with drum brakes...
NE Texas
Reply | Threaded
|

Jmac1773
Nevermind.  I think I'm going to go with riveted after reading some online about the differences.

So... a drum hardware kit, shoes - anything else?  
NE Texas
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
I went with bonded shoes.  No real reason.  

Reading the chilton manual, I added some high temp brake grease.  I would probably say go ahead and replace the wheel cylinders.  One of mine was ok.  Other had black "mud" in one side and the other weeped uncontrollably when I pulled the plunger out to clean it.  

How is your brake fluid?  Does it need flushing?  If you decide to do the wheel cylinders, may as well give it a flush.  

Just thinking through everything I ended up doing.  I should have either replaced the drums or at least had them turned.  

Hope yours goes a little smoother than mine.  
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
In reply to this post by Jmac1773
Also, sand that center hole.  Mine was hanging there.  Gets rusty.  That's why I painted my hubs too.  Maybe slow the rusting together.
Randy