Park brake cables

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Park brake cables

Oz Econoline/F100
I am looking to order a set of rear park brake cables and all I can see from LMC is a L/h and R/h rear. Are there different sizes for SWB and LWB or are they all the same length Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Park brake cables

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
The front cables come in different lengths.
The rears are the same, short - regular - long wheelbase
Is yours 133" WB?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
When I was redoing the system on mine, I ended up locating Dorman replacements through RockAuto.com
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I got my R/R & L/R wheel cables from Auto Zone.
The only thing I found wrong with the cables were the springs that push the shoe park arms back were too long. The springs would bow out and rub the drums and you could not step on the ebrake pedal as the spring would not compress. I cut them shorter and may still need to make shorter.
My front cable was good.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Oz Econoline/F100
Hey Dave how did you joint the end back on to the cables as one of the cables that I ordered from Rockautos is to long as well. And the truck is a Flairside short bed if some one has any part numbers that would great
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
So it's 117".

I don't have a way to read my parts CD for the Ford part # but Dorman lists C93398 as front cable for 117" WB 1984-'91

Not sure if the LAPS in Oz can cross that number.

I see rear cables for with or without ambulance package listed for F-150, there is no distinction for wheelbase.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Oz Econoline/F100
Yes it's a 117'' though I don't think that they (Oz parts stores) will be able to cross reference that part number. I will order them from RockAutos but I just want to get the right ones. What does it mine with ambulance package
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That is the Dorman part number for the front cable specific to swb pickups.

Rear cables can be had for regular (srw) trucks or the larger drums that come with the ambulance package.

I haven't looked or purchased from RA in quite some time due to their multiplying shipping charges and poor CS.
There were quite a few boycott discussions over on FTE...
But I suppose shipping down under costs enough that their dinging you for shipping from multiple warehouses is just a small piece of it.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Oz Econoline/F100
Thanks for that I'm after the rear cables and this is a US truck so I need to get the cables from the States. Yes - RA does charge a bit for shipping but I can't do much about that when I'm all the way over the other side of the world. At $16- $35 for the cables plus shipping that's a lot cheaper than I have seen some cables for sale over here at $150 plus and that's if they even fit.
Reply | Threaded
|

Oz Econoline/F100
Or is there any other suppliers that that you can recommend that may ship o/s
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary and I both buy a lot of parts from Amazon.

They list rear cables from Dorman, Raybestos, Wagner, and AC Delco as being Prime on my app here in the US.

Free 2-day delivery and no hassle returns is a huge plus in my book.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Oz Econoline/F100
How are the cables any different, even if they were to run down the right side rail instead of the left? (as here in US)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Oz Econoline/F100
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I'm happy to get them from any where as long as they ship to Oz but the main thing is that I get the right parts as I don't want to have to sent them back and I don't think I will get the free two day delivery.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Amazon.au is just a book store?

Dorman rear cables for a 1985 F-150 are C94490 & C93347
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Oz Econoline/F100
Thanks for those rear part numbers and I will see if will fit the 1980 f100.
Amazon.au I thinks is only just starting up over here but a have brought a few thing from Amazon.com and I have found them to be good
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm sorry, did not realize the age of your truck.
Those numbers are for 1984-'93.

The correct Dorman cable numbers for 1980 - '83 are:
C93343 Rear left w/o ambulance package. (right in Oz)
C93232 Rear right w/o ambulance package
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Oz Econoline/F100
Thanks again for your effort I will chase this up as I can't put the rear brake back together with out them
Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
Don't forget to look at www.rockauto.com.  I use them when I need parts other than LMC Truck.  More of a selection.
1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, 1406 Edelbrock Carb - Currently going through an engine rebuild through a "Father/Son Project"