Painting interior plastic parts

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Painting interior plastic parts

JohnnyD
I'm working on an interior refurbishment (Projects>1981 F150 "Old Blue" needs a new interior), and was unable to get the door panels, sliders, and dash in the original powder blue. I think, because I'm lazy and also operating on "better is the enemy of good enough", I'll leave the new parts in black, the way I received them. (How's that for a run-on sentence!?) I figure that any blue paint I buy will not match the existing blue parts that will be reused, so black parts mean I don't have to repaint everything. However, the original LH door slider bezel (blue) and replacement LH slider (tan) don't match the new black parts, so I need to paint them. Is a rattle can of vinyl paint from NAPA sufficient? What about prep? Do they need a top coat of clear UV protectant? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.
"Old Blue" 1981 F150 Custom, short box, 2wd, straight 6, manual 4-speed; purchased new in NY, now happy in Oregon
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Painting interior plastic parts

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I like SEM brand vinyl paints.  Others may have good results with other paints however.  But, the key to painting plastic or vinyl is prep.  Check out the SEM line and what their recommended prep is.  It is pretty detailed, but gives good results.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI