Oxx power industrial 3 cyl. (Half 300 six)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Oxx power industrial 3 cyl. (Half 300 six)

Ford F834
Administrator
Interesting half 300 six engine!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F143334334589

SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Oxx power industrial 3 cyl. (Half 300 six)

1986F150Six
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Wow! Hmmm... put that in my truck and take on Paul [Rogue Wulff] next year in the gas mileage test!!!

Where is the intake manifold? Direct injection of some type?

I found the following:

Hydrogen Engine Center Unveils 3-Cylinder, 2.4L Mini Oxx
01 April 2006
Hydrogen Engine Center (HEC) unveiled its new Mini Oxx three-cylinder 2.4L engine at the Aviation Industry Expo in Las Vegas, Nev. The Mini Oxx is a compact version of HEC’s Oxx Power six-cylinder 4.9L engine—the company’s basic product. (Earlier post.)
HEC is targeting the 65hp (48.5kW) Mini Oxx for applications such as luggage tractors and other airport ground support equipment.
The new three-cylinder engine features interchangeable parts with its six cylinder counterpart.
We wanted the engines to share some of the same components to increase efficiency in production and maintenance. Seventy-two of the 81 parts used in the six cylinder, 4.9L engine are the same for the new three cylinder Mini Oxx and are interchangeable.
—Ted Hollinger, president of HEC

HEC Engines produced at HEC are sold under the Oxx Power brand. In addition to their gasoline engines, HEC developed a family of engines that use fuels such as hydrogen, natural gas, propane, and methane. The engines include the same essential technologies and can be converted to use hydrogen when it is available.
HEC has targeted production of the Mini Oxx to begin in the first quarter of 2007.
Posted on 01 April 2006 in Engines, Hydrogen | Permalink | Comments (2)

Comments

At 0.8L per cylinder, this engine is built for low-end torque and fuel efficiency, not high RPM. The 65hp rating is fairly meaningless for the applications it is intended for.
Still, it is ironic that hydrogen is to be used at airports, where jet engine emissions and fuel consumptions are sky-high anyhow. Luggage tractors et al. are prime candidates for serial electric hybrids with small diesel engines.

And:

Home > Hydrogen News > Press Area > Hydrogen Engine Center
Hydrogen Engine Center Unveils Mini Oxx(TM) Three Cylinder 2.4L Engine
Wednesday March 29, 11:04 am ET
LAS VEGAS, March 29 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Hydrogen Engine Center (HEC) today unveiled the new Mini Oxx(TM) three cylinder 2.4L engine at Aviation Industry Expo in Las Vegas, Nev. The Mini Oxx(TM) is a compact version of HEC's Oxx Power(TM) six cylinder 4.9L engine.
"Before the conception of the Mini Oxx(TM) many aviation experts were consulted regarding the feasibility of a three cylinder engine for the industrial market," said Ted Hollinger, president of HEC. "We discovered a need for a smaller version of our 4.9L engine."
The Mini Oxx(TM) will produce approximately 65 horsepower. Many applications exist for the Mini Oxx(TM) including luggage tractors and other airport ground support equipment.
The new three cylinder engine will also feature interchangeable parts with its six cylinder counterpart. "We wanted the engines to share some of the same components to increase efficiency in production and maintenance," said Hollinger. "Seventy-two of the 81 parts used in the six cylinder, 4.9L engine are the same for the new three cylinder Mini Oxx(TM) and are interchangeable."
The Mini Oxx(TM) is the newest addition to HEC product line that already includes five engines. Engines produced at HEC are sold under the Oxx Power(TM) brand. In addition to their gasoline engines, HEC developed a family of engines that use fuels such as hydrogen, natural gas, propane, and methane. The engines include the same essential technologies and can be converted to use hydrogen when it is available.
"We were presented with a challenge and we exceeded expectations in the creation of the Mini Oxx(TM)," said Hollinger. "We are committed to the promise of hydrogen fuel; it burns cleaner and it reduces our dependence of foreign sources of fuel." HEC has targeted production of the Mini Oxx(TM) to begin in the first quarter of 2007.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
$500, someone needs that to play with lol.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Granted it probably doesn't run on gasoline, I think these guys are making prototypes for alternative fuels, maybe one day we can all convert our 300 I-6's to hydrogen fuel.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
2 cyl?! I wonder what that sounds like?

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Take a look at the intake manifold [of the 2 cylinder] and imagine cutting out the center of an original log manifold.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I noticed the modified factory intake... and was surprised to see that the injectors were in the runners, not through the throttle body.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Notice that gasoline is one of the specified fuels, so a carburetor could be mounted, just like on the 240/300/4.9L.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
My thought exactly David... I don’t know if the YFA would be too much at 1/3 displacement but it would at least fit!