Overheated but didn't fail me.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Overheated but didn't fail me.

Pebcak
Driving to meet my wife at a Rodeo arena I noticed that the engine was getting hot about 5 miles out from arriving.  I had driven about 25 miles already going about 70-75.  As I noticed it I had one stop sign left and then be at the arena.  Nothing was happening except it was showing hot.  So I decided to try to make it so I wasn't stranded on the side of a two lane highway.  

As I was sitting at the stop sign I noticed some steam coming from the hood.  Thought to myself "Come on baby, just a little further." I limped it to the arena going about 50 and coasting where I could.  About 100 feet out I started hearing a "tack tack tack tack" noise and just let off the gas and coasted into the driveway.  As I went through the threshold of the property the engine just quit......

Then....  The steam and smoke started rolling out of the hood.

I turned everything off and opened the hood and couldn't see a thing.  Worried there was going to be some flames, I walked in and got a bucket of water.  When I got back I could see that the smoke was from the oil smoldering that was on the engine from over the years and the steam was from the coolant all over the engine bay.

After an hour it cooled down enough for me to take the radiator cap off and it was still full of coolant.  In fact, the coolant reservoir was steadily running more fluid in from the hose connected at the top.  Every so often things would gurgle and then spit out coolant out the top.  After a couple times of that happening and the coolant sizzling on the engine I put the cap back on.

So now, ol' Beast is still sitting at the arena and cooling down and it looks like I'll go back Saturday morning to check things out once it has cooled down.

Now that the story is done, here are my observations and questions.

- I didn't see any busted hoses even though there was coolant EVERYWHERE in the engine bay.  But everything was so hot I couldn't touch anything to check for sure.

- Is it possible that the thermostat got stuck closed?  Hence why I still have coolant in the lines?

- I'm concerned with the "tack tack tack tack" noise before the engine just stalled.  I did NOT attempt to start the truck again.  I left it the way it was.

Saturday I'm thinking I need to do a full visual check of everything looking for anything "out of place" and also take a new thermostat and do a coolant flush on the truck before attempting anything.

I'm a little proud that "The Beast" didn't fail me on the side of the road.  Also, a little frustrated that this happened when I constantly check the truck over.  And finally a little scared I may have caused some damage getting it to a safe place.

I've made sure not to exaggerate anything so I can get objective 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc opinions.

Questions, comments, scoldings or your own experiences are welcome.
1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, 1406 Edelbrock Carb - Currently going through an engine rebuild through a "Father/Son Project"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Overheated but didn't fail me.

Ford F834
Administrator
Bummer. Sorry to hear about the trouble. Did you check the dipstick to see if there was water in the oil?

Thermostats are designed to fail “open” but that does not mean they always do...

If you fill the radiator and go to start it, leave the cap off. If you have a compromised head gasket you will be able to see it.

I had a radiator hose that was rubbing on a bracket in a hard to notice spot. I was on my way to work at a brand new job and had already called off once the first week because of vehicle problems. I was only about a mile away so I just went for it. Steam started coming out from under the hood as I badged through the gate. All I had to do was trim the hose and re-fill the coolant to get me home, but the truck lost coolant ever after that event. I’m 99% sure I cracked a cylinder head (6.9 diesel). No particular relation to your problem, I’m just sharing some understanding about trying to make it where you were going. I do hope yours isn’t too serious...
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Pebcak
The fact that you still had coolant in the engine suggests you didn't do like I did and blow a radiator hose and lose everything.  That is when an engine gets really hot and, in my limited experience, is when the real damage is done.

But, your gauge did show that the engine was hot, and you had steam, so there was a problem.  And the engine stalling was probably due to the clearances getting too small and the friction overcoming the minimal power output at idle.

So, it does seem like a stuck thermostat is a possibility.  Another is that you threw a belt and the water pump wasn't turning.  So I'd check things over externally, like the belts, and if they appear to be in place and the water pump will turn, change out the thermostat.  But I don't know that I'd worry about doing a coolant flush there at the arena.

As for damage to the engine, with coolant in the system there shouldn't have been serious overheating and, therefore, I doubt there will have been serious damage.

Good luck!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
I also think thermostat failure is an unlikely cause. That full overflow bottle does make me think blown head gasket.

I've coasted in on a hot engine too, so no scolding!
Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
Well, you guys gave me some directions to look.

If I get a chance to go out there today I'll look at the color/consistency of the Oil and Coolant, visual check of belts and that nothing is locked up for pulleys.

I'll be googling about blown head gaskets today at work.

1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, 1406 Edelbrock Carb - Currently going through an engine rebuild through a "Father/Son Project"
Reply | Threaded
|

ScubaSteve
I wouldn’t get too concerned about the head gasket till you check out the thermostat and water pump. I have never had a thermostat fail open but I have had plenty fail closed.
1986 F150, XLT Lariat, 5.8, AOD, 8.8 limited slip, 4.10 gears
Reply | Threaded
|

BuggTruck
On the topic of thermostats. I'm replacing mine soon, and have found ford recomends 192° but comparible sizes range from 160-200 with most common either 190° or 195°. Which should i go with?
1986 f150 2wd standard cab w/ac 302 5l v8 efi 175,000 miles.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I use 190's, but newer engines are continually increasing the coolant temp.  Seems the manufacturers have found that increasing the temp increases the economy because there's less rejected heat.

What I don't recommend is a cold thermostat, like a 160 or a 180.  The colder the coolant the longer it takes to get the engine up to temp so the moisture boils out of the oil.  Cold 'stats and short trips are not a good mix.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I would second the 190*-195* models. Anything lower and you don’t get decent heat or window defrosting in the cab.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

*UPDATE* Overheated but didn't fail me.

Pebcak
In reply to this post by ScubaSteve
I've never been so happy to see BLACK oil!!!

I checked everything on the engine and it all looked good.  Decided to take a chance and crank it a couple times to see if it would start.  After the second crank it started right up!  It was a little rough as it was running so I quickly popped it up on the two wheel dolly I had so I wouldn't have to push.

I did notice when it was on the dolly and I was securing it that there was coolant leaking from somewhere on the left side of the radiator/hose area.  It was getting dark so I'll look at it more this next few days.

So, now it's here at the house.  I went to the local car care store today and got a new Thermostat, Upper Hose and Engine Coolant.  I have the lower hose being delivered Monday by noon. Just going to swap it all out regardless after troubleshooting.

SUnday/Monday I'm going to get some time to go out and start it up and watch, listen and smell what I can to try to find where it's leaking from.  I'm hoping it that the upper hose has a hole, split or leak from the connection to the radiator.  Who knows though, it might be the radiator itself.

Great news is that it isn't a blown head gasket or worst at this moment.

I'll update more when I find something out.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: *UPDATE* Overheated but didn't fail me.

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Great news!  Hope you find something simple to fix.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: *UPDATE* Overheated but didn't fail me.

Ford F834
Administrator
Yes! What Gary said! I’m glad the oil looks okay and that it restarted readily. Hopefully it is a simple fix 👍

Reply | Threaded
|

*2nd UPDATE* Overheated but didn't fail me.

Pebcak
Today I finally got a chance to look at the truck today.  

Went to O'Reilly's and got the lower coolant hose.

Came back and started troubleshooting, cleaning and looking for a possible problem.

Took the housing off and took out the old thermostat.  It had some gunk in the seal and corrosion on it.

Scraped, cleaned and sanded down the connection on the engine and the housing prepping for reassembly.  Realized I didn't get another gasket.  Put that on the "2nd trip to O'Reilly's" list.

While inspection and cleaning I kept smelling gas.  Decided to start at the carb and work my way back.  Ended up finding that the fuel line hose started to blister and melt from the engine overheating!   It was dripping fuel even with the engine off.  I'm glad I found that instead of having something else happen.  3/8" hose got added to the list.

When I went to O'Reilly's I took the housing with me to ensure I got the correct gasket.  As I was standing at the counter I asked if I should get a gasket or some high temp RTV because one of the "ears" were bent.  As I brought it up to eye level and touch it, it fell off!    Mind you I was scraping, cleaning and sanding this part earlier with NO ISSUE!!  

At that point I just hung my head and asked "Do you have one of these here?" thinking I'd be (to quote Oh brother where art Thou) "Two weeks from everywhere!"

I had two choices, do the special order of the OEM with no price until they order it.   OR get the one on hand that is an aluminum part with an O-ring.  I decided "What the heck" and have decided to try out the new fangled part.

HERE are all of the pictures I have of the Old and New housings.  Please read the comments and add as you see fit.

After all of the above, I'd like to ask one question.  Do I still need a gasket with the O-ring on the new one?

Tomorrow my son is coming by to help with finishing the Coolant work and swap the fuel line.

Enjoy my ramblings!    I'm just hoping that my adventures and stories will help someone else someday!

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: *2nd UPDATE* Overheated but didn't fail me.

grumpin
From what I've experienced with o rings, I would not use a gasket, just the o ring.

Hope you get her going and no damage!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
Got everything swapped out and started the beast up and it sounded great!

BUT.....  

I went to the engine bay and apparently my radiator has turned into a colander and once the engine was running it started leaking all over.

So, now I have a radiator waiting for me to pick up in the morning since the Mrs has the other truck out at an arena riding horses.  

I just want The Beast back up and running.  I miss driving it.

Hopefully I'll have better news tomorrow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Bummer. Hope that fixes it... any idea if that was the original point of coolant loss?

Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
I would say one of the following is possible.  Maybe a combination too.

1. The housing where the thermostat was from my initial post.

2. The petcock on the radiator was dripping after I drained everything.  I can't confirm if it was that was to begin with or not.

3. When I started the truck it was pooling at the bottom part of the radiator.  With the fan running it would pick up the coolant and fling it everywhere.  That might be why my whole engine bay was saturated when this all first happened.

FYI to everyone.  O'Reilly's has a two options for the radiator.  Pay close attention.

1. Upper hose on the Passenger side and Lower on the Drivers side.

2. Upper hose on the Drivers side and Lower on the Passengers side.

Double check your options because it's not obvious if you don't read the whole description.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I suspect it was the radiator as the fan will, as you described, fling it all over everything.

As for the two types, the inlet on the driver's side is for the 300 six, and the one on the passenger's side is for all other engines.