Original Ford tooling dash pad?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Original Ford tooling dash pad?

CliftonK
Did you guys know these were available?  Anyone buy one? https://www.npdlink.com/product/dash-pad-black-original-ford-tooling/141913?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Dpad%252Bassembly%26top_parent%3D60000%26year%3D
Tessa - 1982 F-100 - 300 6 with a mystery build, C6, new(to her) forged front end and not-so-stock emissions wearing a 1985 F-150 Texas Chainsaw style.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Original Ford tooling dash pad?

Rusty_S85
Yep bought one for a customers '82 I put the 5.0 coyote in.  Will be using the same for my truck but the dash pad will be the last thing I do.

One thing dont throw your old pad away right away, youll have to dig out the metal clips that you screw into as the dashpad doesnt come with them.

This is the white one that is offered that we dyed before installation.  One thing different how ever from OE is there are no screw holes in the dash pad in the defroster vent region.  I will attempt to drill these out myself as the washer head screws will stop any tears from forming.

"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

CliftonK
I only knew about the plastic and cloth covers.  You'd figure for as much as they retail for they could have gone that little extra and added those holes and the clips.  I have two pads right now, one in pretty good shape.  It's got some minor cracks now from being in storage for so long.  When I got it(donor truck) it was super clean, only one small hole between a couple of the little holes in the speaker area.  Mine is fairly rough but structural still, good candidate for a repair attempt.
Tessa - 1982 F-100 - 300 6 with a mystery build, C6, new(to her) forged front end and not-so-stock emissions wearing a 1985 F-150 Texas Chainsaw style.
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by CliftonK
This is off topic just slightly, and it may already be knowledge to the forum members, but thought I'd put it out there. When I restored my truck several years ago, I weighted the purchase of a new dash vs. a dash topper or dash capper. Can't remember the proper nomenclature. Anyway, I went with the dash capper and I have been very pleased with it. You cannot tell that it is not the original dash and it will not crack out like the original dash. It's much tougher. If I had to do it again, I'd go the same route.  
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by CliftonK
You think they would, youd also think they would offer them in some of the popular colors other than just white (which Ive never seen a Ford truck with a white interior) or black.

Its no different than the dashpad for my '56 Fairlane, they only offer it in black and I dont know how I will go about dying that dark black pad into the medium blue that it should be.  Only difference is this dash pad glues down to the metal dash and the flap is held in place on the front of the dash via metal trim clips.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Only problem with the dash cap is your dash pad has to be flat or it wont sit right.  Mine in my truck around the speaker grill is curled up and the time it would take to sand it down to get it smooth I rather just purchase a new pad itself.
Reply | Threaded
|

CliftonK
Black is probably cheap and easy to make and I figure white is easier to color. Use interior paint. I used duplicolor to paint the donors blue dash face black.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
I prefer to use SEM its a dye like paint with good UV inhibitors to protect.  I used it on my black door panels on my truck but the color is a dark blue how ever which made it a pita to tell if I had a even coat of blue or if the black was bleeding through.

I would probably go white how ever as its easier to tell coverage.
Reply | Threaded
|

CliftonK
This stuff is the same way, used on upholstery as well.