classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Opinions on Retreads?

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I mentioned the other day that I had hit a 'gator' on my way from work.

The tires I've liked in the past (like the traditional Cooper radial LT M+S, and the Kumhos) are NLA.
I've lost a steel belt on a Goodyear!  Was a bad day....

So I'm thinking I should get some new shoes before winter, and I'm looking at Treadwright.
The stock 235/85 R-16 E is fine, or maybe a little taller, like 265/75~85.

Anyone have these on their truck?
I see a lot of good reviews, they seem to have a good variety of tread patterns, and they tout their siping.
The prices are good (especially for a 10 play rated tire)
But I don't know anyone who has personal experience, and 5-6 beans is a big chance to take if they don't perform well.

With all the newer pickups rolling on 17 to 20's 16's are looking to go extinct like 16.5"
And I doubt I'd be able to cut my losses by selling them forward in a timely manner.

Has anyone dealt with Treadwright before?
Are they all they're cracked up to be?

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Opinions on Retreads?

Rembrant
Interesting. I didn't even know you could still get retreads for passenger vehicles. These are only for the rear, right? I seem to recall that when they sold them here they were not approved for front installation. Mind you, that was a long time ago...I'm sure the technology is better these days.

I had a set of winter retreads on the back of an '84 Ranger many years ago.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I was intending to go with four (all around)

Yes, I've heard that on big rigs you can't use retreads on the steering wheels.

Again, like everything else, technology is making things better, faster, stronger! Every day.
whatever happened to Lee Majors anyhow?

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
Actually, the "rule" is you shouldn't use retreads on the steer axle, unless it's a commercial vehicle carrying passengers{bus for an example}, then it's not allowed. I personally would not use a retread on the steer axle of a class 8 vehicle that I was using on a daily myself but you could. On a pick-up truck I don't see a problem in using them all around as long as they are of good quality.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yeah, I wouldn't want my kids in a school bus rolling on retreads.

Do you have any personal experience with Treadwright?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
I wouldn't neither. I don't have any experience with the Treadright's, but I have ran retreads about 20 yrs ago, which after checking out their web site I learned that they are remolds and not retreads. Retreads are tires that have had the tread part of the tire scraped off and a new tread "cap" put back on the tire, a recap. Remolded tires have had most of the tires rubber removed from one bead to the other and new rubber added back to rebuild the tire back up from the tire's carcass. So remolds are mostly new and retreads are mostly used. I don't believe there would be any problems with them as long as the core carcass that they are built from is free of defects that would compromise the finished product.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Thanks for the insight.

I have confidence, but still no first hand reports.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Thanks for sharing that Shaun!  

Although the production values, video editing and cheesy 'infomercial' quality of it remind me why I'm never going to pay a cable bill for the opportunity to view 800+ channels of this fluff, I think the production (re-production?) process clips show a job well done!

I can't really imagine a tire plant being that  clean and uncluttered. 😄
I go back and look at some films of Dayton and Akron in their prime and SMFH.
Man, (Ohio man?) Health & Safety have come a  l o n g  way!

I also can't imagine how loud that stinking little Jeep was on the highway drive to get to that wheeling park.
Cool to see the boss drives a rusted out Aeronose FSB!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Jim, I'm pretty lucky here, the county school buses use a 215/85R-16 and as a result I can get them new at a good price. They are heavier rated than Darth but last extremely well. I don't know if they would carry wider ones though. I would look into who the people with school buses buy from, or anyone with a commercial truck.

Good luck in your search!
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Bill, I think I've found my source.
Prices include delivery, and I have a great tire shop who wants my worn tires.

I'm thinking Wardens, or maybe Claw II's , which are close to the tread design of the Cooper's  and Kuhmo's I like, but with larger blocks.

If the county dries up before you do Treadwright offers 215 & 225 for duallies as well!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Which Coopers do you like?  I have the Discoverer S/T Maxx tires and like them.  They have an aggressive tread but aren't too noisy.

Or, I think they aren't too noisy, but with the headers and glass packs....  I remember that I didn't think Rusty's tires were noisy until I replaced the flatulent Flushmaster with a Magnaflow and suddenly discovered the tires were singing, loudly.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
DID I Like!

The old Discover radial LT M+S.

Then they came out with the ATS?
Those sucked.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Sounds good Jim, mine were bought from the shop that services the bus fleets on tires. I need to (a) repair the broken weld on the center post of my Coats 1010 tire machine and (b) get my Hoffman wheel balancer set up and running.

On those tires, December will be 5 years the front ones have been on.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

emunder
I've never owned a set of Treadwrights myself. My girlfriends uncle was running a set of their MT's & swore by them. He never had any issues but I forget the model he had. Being in Jeep clubs & forums you hear a lot of things about a lot of products. I've seen where folks had great luck with them & other reviews where they got some bad tires but if I remember correctly Treadwright was pretty quick to replace them if they had issues.
1986 Ford F150 XLT 4X4. 300 I6 w/ 4 speed manual.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's nice to know that they stand behind their product.

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards the Wardens.
I used to spend a lot of time slogging material around muddy job sites.

Now -honestly- I  spend time commuting, and driving up the trail to the horse paddock.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

FoxFord33
Sorry if I am too late; beginning of the school year is busy!

I have encountered treadwrights. A guy brought them into our tire shop for his truck. He left with 4 tires from our trash pile mounted instead. Not sure if he got his money back.

The problem we saw was the outer mold peeling off of the old material underneath right at the edge of the bead where it contacts the wheel rim. This made the tire uneven, out-of-round, and ultimately unbalance-able.

This is only one experience, and I saw where someone said they stand behind their product, and another set could be good. But the question was for any experience with the product.

Sorry if it's a buzzkill.
Ford Grand Wagoneer - 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer preparing to receive a Ford drivetrain...

A Keeper - 1993 F-150 XLT Super-Cab 5.0 EFI 2WD E4OD 8.8" with 3.55 gear Sold it for my Grand Wagoneer project!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
No buzzkill at all!

A realistic POV from someone who fits these things for a living.
Out of balance and out of round are two things I don't want to deal with at highway speeds.

Maybe Treadwrights are fine off road where you're bouncing around or crawling over boulders.
I'm definitely going to reassess.
 Jim,