Open this post in threaded view
|

Opinions Please

86 1/2 Brutus
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Opinions Please

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, if you are adding a black stripe on the truck, and since there's a black stripe on the running boards, I think the side of the running boards toward the wheels should be black as well.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

81f100custom
In my opinion I would not paint the part that is facing towards the tires as it will be taking a beating throwing up water, sand, rocks, and whatever else and will chip the paint and then it will be some painted and some unpainted. That is just the way I look at things like that. If I know it is not going to stay looking all painted then I would rather not have it at all. Just my opinion. Maybe a thin piece if rubber or such affixed to it then it would not chip I could go that.
Eddie,
81 F100 Custom SWB, 5.0L, 4x2, Single Rail Four-Speed Overdrive, 3.00 Non-Limited Slip Rear Axle, Non A/C truck to complete 85 F150 factory A/C conversion, Nutmeg interior color.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
could paint it black then get one of those clear plastic rock protector films and put over it.  Like how the factory does with new trucks they put these clear plastic protector films around the fenders where rocks may hit to protect from chips
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
you have a good point.  i'm thinking bed liner
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
I did it in paint to see what it would look like.  I couldnt do the strip without it looking like crap

Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
I did the one in the back as well.  We decided no.  it just dosent look right.  thanks for the input
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Mine are not painted either and have held up quite well for 34 years. Are those DeeZee running boards? They look quite similar to mine.

The only issue I have ever had with my running boards was the braces going from the underside up to the cab rusted out. DeeZee had discontinued the style I have and flat out discontinued the dually bed side ones that flare outward to meet the fenders.

When I replaced the rusted bed, I put a piece of square tube across where the bed side splash guard comes up. The original mounting was a long flat piece bolted to the inner bed wall in the wheel clearance bulge and wasn't real strong. This modification actually save a fender when I blew a tire at 70 mph. It was the left outer dual, left black stripes on the facing running board splash guard was the only sign.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
In reply to this post by 86 1/2 Brutus
Looks great! I like the idea of a one to two inch tall stripe that runs from the front of the corner marker light straight back to the tail light, right above the body line. Just my two cents.

Are those clear corner marker lenses? If so, where did you get them?
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
I'm not sure what brand the running boards are, they came with the truck as did the bed liner.   the only problem we ever had was rusted bolts on the brace that goes under.
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Only reason I know what mine are is they say it on them. They are extruded aluminum and the bolts slide into the slots. Two big flattened Z shape supports from the rocker panel lip down and three braces under the cab then a rear support and the splash guard at the front. When I redid the supports DeeZee sold me a crew cab installation kit so I was able to replace the rusted supports. I went to Fastenal and bought a load of CRES bolts, nuts and lockwashers then used plenty of antiseize on the bolts.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
sounds like ours, but it dosent say it on them.  Maybe they made them for Ford.  Our truck is a special edition truck  its an 86 1/2  it was originally Baby Blue with the Z vector stripes.  It was a military truck decked out.  Black front and black bumpers, black mirrors, those running boards and a bed liner.
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Mine was done in Suffolk VA for the original owner, Del-Mar Stables so I would imagine they put them on along with replacing the front bench seat with a pair of Pyramid ones and adding a storage console between them. FWIW, both front seats leaned outboard toward the doors.

I have pictures I took underneath when I was repairing the mounts with my "almost" granddaughter, she was 14 at the time and had a ball helping.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Love to see them
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Ok, here they are:
Right side cab board

Left side, both cab and bed boards

Left side, underneath looking forward from under the bed

Left side, looking back toward rear wheels

Support tube for rear of bed side boards

Right bed side board ready to be reinstalled

Original rear support for left bed side board

Mount for rear of left cab side board, rusty piece is from original mounts. This also gives a good view of the extrusion.

End cap for boards, rear of cab and front of bed and they are left and right hand to match the respective ends

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
they do look alot like the ones on ours, but there are slight differences, but close enough for me to think they made them for ford.  Thats a sweet truck
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Thank you, it's a work in progress, right now it's just being used as my Taurus ate it's FS10 compressor and has been sitting until I can at least put the bypass pulley on so it can be driven while I asses the level of contamination in the system.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile