Operation 4 Barrel - Mission Accomplished

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Operation 4 Barrel - Mission Accomplished

Whisler
Well I finally got my Edelbrock AVS installed on my truck. It fought me the whole way but I overcame by sheer stubbornness.

It wasn't the carb. that caused problems but all the things you have to work around to install an Edelbrock carb. on a Ford. I bought the obligatory linkage and bracket kits and, of course, neither of them worked properly. I knew that was going to be a problem from all I have read here and on FTE, but didn't know where else to start. At least the bracket made a good template for the one I had to make with a hacksaw and file.

Then there was the fuel system. Again fro reading here and FTE, I knew I needed a fuel pressure regulator. Mounting the regulator and running new fuel lines was a real PITA, but with a little help from the shop that works on my newer cars, I again overcame.

Got everything hooked up today and had the wife work the ignition while I checked for fuel leaks and of course there were some but finally tracked them all down. The truck even fired up before I was ready. I did the necessary adjustments to choke, idle speed, fast idle speed and idle mixture , then took it for a drive.

AND IT RAN GREAT.  
Woo hoo!!!   I guess the carb. was worth the $100 I paid for it.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Operation 4 Barrel - Mission Accomplished

Rembrant
Well done!
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Whisler
Congrat's!  It is always a good feeling when you persevere - and win.  

And $100 for an AVS is a great price!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Whisler
That must be exciting!
I'm glad to hear it is running well for you.  

I like my AVS 650 on the 460. I just wish it had some more on top.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
Thank you all for the good wishes and all the helpful advice.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.