One front wheel is locked in 4x4 mode

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

One front wheel is locked in 4x4 mode

Paulco
While I was working to replace a ujoint on the front axle of my truck I noticed that my passenger wheel does not move freely, and when I do move it the front axle rotates. Before I start taking it apart and buying new bearings etc. anyone had this problem before? The hub locker does move freely and the other wheel works as expected.
1982 Ford F-150 XL 4x4 Short Bed with 302 V8
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: One front wheel is locked in 4x4 mode

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Pull the locking hub and see what the damage is.
There's no need to get as deep as the bearings.

I found my passenger side would always be locking itself.
I finally swapped to Warn premium hubs.
While they do take a full revolution to engage, I found with the stronger detents they never moved from the 'Free' position.

I suspect that your locking hub has broken internally and is keeping the splines engaged.
Plastic parts have a habit of doing stuff like that.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
In reply to this post by Paulco
Yeah pull your locking hub, if it’s not broken try to clean it up and re-grease, put it back in and try to spin it while unlocked.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
Pretty common. The hub uses spring pressure to engage, and plastic ramps to disengage. The plastic gets pretty fragile, you may need to find a new knob.
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

Paulco
In reply to this post by Paulco
Thanks everyone, I believe it was the hub lock it sprang off  when I disconnected it. I put it back together and hopefully that fixes it.
1982 Ford F-150 XL 4x4 Short Bed with 302 V8
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
....  I found my passenger side would always be locking itself.
I finally swapped to Warn premium hubs.
While they do take a full revolution to engage, I found with the stronger detents they never moved from the 'Free' position....
I had the same issue with Warn standard hubs.  They were actually spring-loaded to the "lock" position and held with a detent in the "free" position.  One side (I think it was passenger) always locked itself.  Warn Premiums aren't spring-loaded to any position.  They'll stay wherever you put them, but have detents to hold them in the end positions (the only places you have any business leaving them).  I switched to Warn Premiums as well and haven't had any issues.

tcbaklash wrote
Yeah pull your locking hub, if it’s not broken try to clean it up and re-grease, put it back in and try to spin it while unlocked.
Be careful about regreasing.  Locking hubs don't like much grease.  They'll gum up and stick.  Just enough grease so you don't have metal-on-metal contact.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Also, if you get REAL cold weather use a low viscosity grease.
-20 will make them impossible to turn without pliers.

Stens or John Deere make '00' (or corn picker) grease that's all I use in snowblower gearboxes.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.