classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
130 messages Options
1234 ... 7
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Old School Cool

Jacob84
Now that I have finished college, I actually have the time to start a write up on my truck. My truck is an ongoing project. Specs in my signature. It has come a long way and it has a long way to go. It was this truck that peaked my interest in the automotive world and I dove into it head first. Anyways. Got this truck when I was 15. It had sat for a long time but, being the 15 year old I was, all that mattered to me was that it was a 4x4 and it had a V8 (still pretty important). I was sold as soon as I saw it. From then until now it has gone from a very tired 351w HO to a 95 f4te 351w roller block with 5.0 HO cam, efi, other goodies. Rebuilt c6 trans, more than a couple sets of tires, and many many miles. Its been lifted as of late and fitted with some 33s. New third member for the 9 inch or rebuild coming soon. Swapping out the t-case for a BW1356 if I can find the correct tail housing I need (need provision for speedo cable). Andddddd maybe a NV4500 swap as I like rowing gears, OD, and my buddy may have a core for me before too long (I’d have a ball rebuilding a manual trans). I also have a lot of interior work coming up as well. I hope to post as much as I can here on the forum, especially pictures, I like pictures, I’ll post some here soon. I’m gonna call this project “Old School Cool”. I love the innovations of the modern age but I love old school touches and try to incorporate those touches into my truck wherever I can. Anyways, I hope you all enjoy. If you have questions or input, by all means, post it
Jacob,
84 F150 base model, New 95 roller 351w with 5.0 ho roller cam, Summit Racing Max EFI 500, and other toys, MSD DIS, C6 trans, 9 inch rear 3.50, reg cab, long bed, 4x4. 33s, 2.5" Rough Country lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Old School Cool

Jacob84
/

The day I pulled it out of a friend's back yard.
Jacob,
84 F150 base model, New 95 roller 351w with 5.0 ho roller cam, Summit Racing Max EFI 500, and other toys, MSD DIS, C6 trans, 9 inch rear 3.50, reg cab, long bed, 4x4. 33s, 2.5" Rough Country lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm along for the ride.  Let't go!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Jacob84

New f4te motor with fancy efi

And that lovely serpentine setup. Many upgrades came just with that setup from the alternator to the AC compressor and deleted smog pump
Jacob,
Reply | Threaded
|

Jacob84

This how I mainly ran the truck for a long time. Other than having the stock grille and swapping the Pacer Turbines off and on

This is after the lift and 33s wrapped around those turbines

Who doesn't like stickers?
Jacob,
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I like those Pacer Turbines! Looks good! Keep it up.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jacob84
BOLO an '87-'90 5.0 4wd with a 5 speed.
The Zf-5 42 will fit your block, and come mated to a 1356 with speedo drive.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I agree, the ZF is a good tranny, albeit expensive to rebuild.  And my 1345 and 1356 have speedo ports.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Jacob84
In reply to this post by grumpin
Thank you sir!
Jacob,
Reply | Threaded
|

Jacob84
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
No doubt it's good. That's what I wanted to do originally several years ago. I can't find one locally though and the ones I find on the web are wayyyy too expensive.

The NV4500 is going to be more costly to swap in but I should be able to put my hands on one very soon.

One in hand vs two in the bush I guess. But if I somehow run across a ZF decently priced I might spring for it. Much easier swap and it'll keep it all Ford. I'd even go for a TOD but those are even more rare. Also don't know how well it would hold up to the 351w.

That's the plan anyways. I've got an E4OD on the shop bench but to rebuild it properly and figure out the electronics to make it function properly aren't worth it to me. If I was using the entire EEC system I'd do it though.

The t-case I've got is from a 95 and I guess since they had long been using the VSS in the rear end for the speedo they decided to omit the provision for the speedo port. It surprised me though, had a fellow Ford fanatic tell me they should have the provision in all the cases, they would just be plugged.
Jacob,
Reply | Threaded
|

Blacktop
Can I please ask, which lift kit did you go with? Any details on it and fitting info?
I’m considering fitting a 4” rough country lift kit to my truck.
Many thanks,
Alan

Oops, just seen you went with 2.5” rough country lift. I love the turbines by the way👍
1984 F150 XLT short bed 4x4 351w 4speed manual
1980 F100 long bed 2wd 300-6 3speed manual project truck
🇬🇧UK based truck enthusiast🇬🇧
Reply | Threaded
|

Jacob84
A quick note on the lift you might like to know. The 2.5" has stock-like rake once the coils settle in. If you're looking for a leveled look go with the 4 inch. The 2.5 inch was a pain to install but it's just tall enough. The 2.5 inch lift comes with radius arm bracket "spacers". They lower the stock bracket down. They're a pain to put in. The 4 inch lift has new radius arm brackets, much less frustrating.

You'll need longer brake hoses if they're not included in the kit you get.
Wasn't included in the 2.5" kit.

If I wasn't hauling and towing on a regular basis I would've gone with the 4 inch. I have a little rub in a full lock turn with 33x12.50s.

You will need an alignment afterwards. I'd stay away from the adjustable camber bushings. Get solid bushings. The adjustable ones are of a very low quality and I have pics to prove it.

Go ahead and get a steering stabilizer while you're at it. The roads here in Arkansas are terrible, much bumpsteer with the big tires.

Rough Country has wonderful customer service that are US based. That is a massive plus.

I would also get new rear leaf springs instead of the lift blocks. Much better looking and a lot safe in my opinion.

Thanks on the wheels! Straight from 1976!

If you have any other questions let me know, would be happy to help!
Jacob,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary, you think the Zf is any more expensive to rebuild than the New Venture???

Sorry I didn't reply. I was having issues yesterday.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I too really like the wheels!
But, I was driving when they were popular.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

IDIBronco
I read you are in Arkansas.  Where about do you live?  Arkansas isn't all that far from me (south west Illinois).  If you where in the right part of the state I may have some parts that could help your project.

That is a pretty nice looking truck.
1985 Bronco
6.9 IDI
C6 T19
hydroboost brakes

8 Lug coil sprung D44ttb
10.25 3:55
warn classic bumper
8274 warn winch
Saginaw Conversion

1986 Ford F350 "Dump Truck"
6.9 IDI
T19
8'x12'x4' hydraulic dump bed
front mounted tow bar

1981 Ford F350 "Welding Truck"
300 I6
T18
Welders bed with hoist
onboard air
Reply | Threaded
|

Blacktop
Many thanks for the info sir👍

Alan
1984 F150 XLT short bed 4x4 351w 4speed manual
1980 F100 long bed 2wd 300-6 3speed manual project truck
🇬🇧UK based truck enthusiast🇬🇧
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by IDIBronco
Looking at our map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map) I see that he's in Hot Springs.

Jim - I've never built nor had built a New Venture.  But the ZF in BB cost me $1K to have rebuilt.  Needed lots of new parts.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Mine rattles like a 170 pound maraca in neutral with the clutch out.  😲

I'm not looking forward to that bill.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Jacob84
In reply to this post by IDIBronco
Hot Springs like Gary said, so a decent drive but I do have family just a stones throw from Missouri so I'm up that way every once in a while, especially once duck season opens up lol

To everyone, thanks for the compliments on the truck, wheels, etc, much appreciated!
Jacob,
Reply | Threaded
|

Jacob84
Gary, was that ZF rebuild something you did or pay to have someone do it? Rebuilding a trans sounds fun to me (my family tells me I'm not normal). I'd love to pick up a new skill as well.
Jacob,
1234 ... 7