classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Oil dipstick calibration

1986F150Six
Administrator
Today, I was told about a situation where when filled with 6 quarts of oil [the correct amount with new full sized oil filter], the truck's engine registered about half way between 1 qt. low and full. This has been discussed previously on our forum, but I think it will be easier when searching if the subject is specifically about this topic.

I have owned 3 Ford trucks and have found that when filled, the dipstick did not reflect the 6 quarts as being full.

Next time you change the oil, park on an even surface and make sure all oil has drained. I usually start with a warm engine, remove the drain plug and then grease the front end and u-joints and check the air pressure of the tires. That gives plenty of time for the oil to drain before replacing the drain plug. Next, remove the oil filter and replace with a new one with anti-drain back check valve [i.e. Motorcraft FL-1A]. Pour in 5 quarts of appropriate weight oil [let the oil containers drain well] and start the engine, keeping the speed as low as possible until oil pressure builds. Let the engine idle a few moments and check for leakage at the drain plug and filter. Shut the engine off and wait a few minutes to allow the oil to drain into the oil pan. Now, remove the dipstick and on the back side, using a very clean file, scratch a line where the true 5 quarts of oil leaves its mark. This will now be your engine's true "1 quart low" mark. BE SURE TO WIPE THE DIPSTICK WELL, SO NO METAL FILINGS GET INTO THE ENGINE! Next, add the 6th quart and repeat the above process, marking the true "full" line on the back of the dipstick.

Now you have a calibrated dipstick.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Oil dipstick calibration

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
You now have 11,500 posts, Gary!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
1986F150Six wrote
You now have 11,500 posts, Gary!
Wow!  And the forum is only ~2 years old.  That's ~730 days, and that calc's to 15.75 posts/day.  

Looks like I racked up 32,860 over ~7 years.  At my rate here I'll be over 40k in 7 years.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Postaholic?
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded