Oddball ac

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Oddball ac

Panelvanman
I was told by an old timer at the parts store that this ac is "dealer air" and that's why I can't find a replacement. I rerouted the belt but I'd like to get it working again.

I've never seen ac that was held with hose clamps before.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Oddball ac

Panelvanman
So what's the best replacement for this? Newer r134a compressor? And will my other stuff hold up? It was holding a charge and was cold. Then locked up and snapped a belt.
Reply | Threaded
|

Panelvanman
In reply to this post by Panelvanman
Next question, what's the newest truck I can grab parts off of. I also frequent reddit and they tell me I can get an r134a compressor from a newer truck and piece together my own set up. Wondering if anyone had tried this?
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
Well at some point they went from v-belts to serpentine belts on the 300, and I don't know if that coincided with the change from R12 to R134. I think the big problem you will run into is finding an R134 compressor and a compatible bracket that will work with v-belts. V-belt and serpentine belt brackets are incompatible as far as I know. It may not be as simple as using a v-belt bracket and then swapping a serpentine belt pulley for the v-belt pulley. Someone with more knowledge on the subject should be able to tell you for sure if there's a silver bullet out there.

The only thing I can say with certainty is that you will be able to use a modern R134 compressor without any aftermarket parts if you convert to a serpentine belt. You would need to find a later EFI 300 truck (aeronose would be a safe bet), pick all the brackets and pulleys, alternator (would need to do the 3G modification), belt tensioner, fan & clutch, and buy a new water pump for the year of the donor truck. You might also need longer power steering lines. There are several benefits to going this route, but it's a big job and you will start entering Johnny Cash - One Piece at a Time territory. Just something to think about.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by Panelvanman
I have the same setup on an engine in the shop pulled from an 83 that I'm doing a v8 swap and adding a factory air system to. I know nothing of the condition, but I may be able to get pics, part numbers or dimensions for you.