161 messages Options
1234 ... 9
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Observed Problems

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let's document the problems, issues, and concerns we have with Nabble here.

One of mine is formatting, and this appears to be what Nabble gives us:

H2 made things bold.

Let's try H3.  Nope, that's smaller bold italics. But, there's an "I" thingee for that.   

H4 is

H5
H6

But, there are no bullets and no indenting. This may be a serious problem.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Observed Problems

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Also, there's something funky about the "Insert Image" button. I have trouble getting it to work, or maybe I don't know how long I'm supposed to wait. Or when to click Close. 😳

Oh!  Cool!  Nabble appears to take the standard iOS emoticons: πŸ‘πŸ˜³πŸ˜ˆπŸ˜‚πŸŽ‰πŸ˜₯πŸ˜˜πŸ™πŸŽŠ

Another issue is with my avatar. What you see now is a corner of the picture showing my twin-snorkel air cleaner for Big Blue. But, when creating an avatar you have to go through the crop step, and on this iPad it won't let me move the crop window. πŸ™ˆ

And, there's the signature. I don't see any way to jazz it up by making things bold, bigger/smaller, etc. But there is an option to use HTML, so maybe there is a way?  πŸ€”

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, HTML coding/tags do work in the sig. granted that is a pain for the user, but it shouldn't be too big of a deal since you don't do it often at all.

But, I still haven't found a way to do bullets or indention. 😩  (However, the ability to use the emoticons w/o having to go into advanced mode is a big help.)

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
One unusual thing that I just noticed is that the view count adds +1 every time you refresh the page, regardless of whether there is anything new to view on the page or not. I know, view count may not mean a whole lot, but I don't think it is supposed to behave that way...
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under constructionβ€” converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Hadn't figured that out, but I knew something was funky as the view count last night was far higher than I expected it to be.  Ok, I need to keep a list.....

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The avatar/picture thing is wonky.  I've tried it on a real computer several times now, and even though I expand the red cropping box to include the full air cleaner it still only takes the upper left corner of the pic - the part that the box is on when the window opens.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, at first your avatar was just a patch of grass, now it shows the whole air cleaner.

I've noticed that after you open a thread the link turns purple and stays that way. The only hint that new replies have been added is the time of last reply turns blue. It would sure be a lot easier if link would turn blue and stand out when new content was added.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under constructionβ€” converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good point on the link, Jonathan.  I'll do some research and see if there's a way to do that.

And, it took a bit of time before my avatar changed.  Maybe two minutes?  That part of Nabble seems flakey to me.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As an admin I have the ability to move posts, threads, etc. However, that requires copying what is called a "permalink", which is the link to where you want to put whatever you are moving. And I can't get that to work on my iPad, although I've done it quite a bit on my computer. So, it seems like there is a problem administrating on mobile devices. Need to research this.

Reply | Threaded
|

kr98664
Is there a way to stay signed in long term? Currently I get kicked off when I leave the forum and then return later. It would be nice to stay logged on.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I haven't had a problem if I don't close the browser.  However, the next day I have to log back in.  I'll see what I can find out......

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I keep getting the login page, but then it won't accept my login. Then I noticed my user name was still showing as a link above the login boxes (i.e. I was actually still logged in). I hit the browser forward button and was back to whatever page I was on last. I notice that this software seems to like forward only navigation, the browser back button works but sometimes does not take me where I expect.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, I almost get exactly the same thing you are seeing.  The main difference is that it does take my log-in.  But, as you said, I was already logged in, as shown by my name above and to the right.  However, before I log in there are no forward or back arrows/buttons on my browser.

So, what browser are you running?  What OS?  I'm on Chrome and Windows 10.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've reported the problem and we will see what they say.  But, there's a way around it by clicking on your name and choosing My Posts.  That'll take you to your posts and then you can go wherever you like.  Bizarre.

Or, you can just click on the Bullnose Forum link above and it works.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I am still "playing" but the main menu on the left drops down below my screen edge and using the scroll bar only moves the window in the center not the menu.

I can see the full menu if I do a full screen (F11).

Now I will tell you it could be my laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium & Explorer 11, I don't like change LOL.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dave - I think it may be the browser you are running.  I have both Windows 8 and 10 running, but use Chrome on both and don't have a problem with the menu.  However, Underhood is close to being a problem as the last item, Tool Box, is just usable.  So, it wouldn't hurt to shorten things slightly.

Some thoughts toward that end are to put Engines in Driveline.  And/or find another place for Oddities.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Is there a way to make that menu scroll like this forum menu does?
This way it could stay as is or even go longer if need be.

I have not checked out this site on my phone yet.
If so how does that menu work?

I do know this is a lot of work and it will not be fixed over night or at all for us that don't run up to date OS/browsers and that ok with me.
Even MS does not support older OS/browsers lol
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dave - I need some help.  What do you mean by "scroll like this forum menu does?"  Are you asking if there is a way to make it be at the top of the page?

As for how the site, not just the forum, works on a mobile device, it depends on how wide the screen is.  For instance, if I have my iPad in landscape mode the menu is just like it is on this laptop.  But if I turn the iPad to portrait mode the menu goes into mobile mode and becomes what is referred to as "the hamburger", meaning a three-line icon in the upper left.  And when you click on it you get the menu seen on the left on larger screens, but it is the whole screen and you can scroll it.  And an iPhone does the latter as well.

So, is that what you are after?

Reply | Threaded
|

kr98664
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Let's document the problems, issues, and concerns we have with Nabble here.
Nabble is blocked on my computer network at work. We have lots of free time between flights, so surfing at work is not a problem. I'm seeing this blocked access as a big drawback for this forum. Anybody else run into this?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Are you trying to access the forum directly on Nabble or on Garysgaragemahal?  I'm not sure that would make a difference because the actual forum info is really on Nabble, but just want to clarify that.

1234 ... 9