OD trans TV cable adjust ??

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OD trans TV cable adjust ??

scbill
From all I can find, the cable is to be set at a neutral position,no tension,no slack, as per video link.
My question...if it is too slack,od band will slip, and burn out. If it is set a little tight, will it cause the od band to be tighter, and will it cause problems?

Reason for question, When it shifted to od, it slipped like low fluid, fluid level ok, found cable off of clip reconnected, all as was before, readjusted a little tighter, all shift points seem to be more as it is supposed to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L3hNzxdiYw
1983 F100 XL 300, 6 cyl, aod, long bed
1961 E100 pickup, 289,C4
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: OD trans TV cable adjust ??

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll see if I can add the factory shop manuals instructions to the website today or tomorrow.  Beyond that, I dunno as I've not played with an AOD.  Perhaps others have?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by scbill
The cable adjustment is really supposed to be done with a pressure gauge. Best way I have found is to drive the truck. OD should be able to engage around 45 mph. To early and it will slip and burn up the band, too late and it will "hunt" in and out of OD at highway speeds. Adjust the casing back is later shift, forward is earlier. This is in relation to the end of the cable. When it is right, 3rd will be a relatively firm shift as it is a straight mechanical connection from engine to output shaft. OD will be slightly less firm, but still quite positive as it is on the order of 75-80% mechanical (torque converter has only limited use). The final will be does it "hunt" at highway speeds, if so back the cable off 1 notch closer and try again. I have adjusted many of these this way and gotten loads of miles on them with no problem.

Back in the day, we used to do Hydra-Matics the same way, fine tune for best shift quality.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

scbill
Shift points feel positive with OD shift @ 45/50 mph, I'm thinking a tighter cable equals tighter band grip/pressure. If that be the case, all should be OK.

FWIW..this is a shot of the repair on the tv cable end. I used a "stacon" lug, spread where the wire goes, clamped in place, shaped to fit stud....it works.
1961 E100 pickup, 289,C4
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Nicely done, and you have rare one, a 6 cyl with AOD. You are correct that it does equal higher pressures as the Throttle Valve (TV) pressure also effects line pressure. You should be good to go with it.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Read this:
Reply | Threaded
|

scbill
Thanks to all,I have a better idea of how it works, and how to set it up.

Bill
1961 E100 pickup, 289,C4