OBD 1 Codes

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OBD 1 Codes

Bruno2
My son's 91 has been dying while idling. It dies when he is backing out of the driveway.

Here are the codes I "think" we pulled:
Whitey: 1996 F 250 XL CCLB 4X4 7.3 DI ZF5 (The Work Horse) Lots of power mods
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: OBD 1 Codes

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Do you have the decoder ring to tell you what those are?  I'm not sure we do on here.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
I have seen some. I need to find a good chart. Some of them are incomplete.  We need one here though. The EFI Bullnose trucks (85-86) are OBD1.

Now all vehicles OBD1 do not share the same codes. Ford specifically has their own and so does Honda, GM, etc, etc. OBD1 was the Wild West.
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Bruno2 wrote
The EFI Bullnose trucks (85-86) are OBD1.
They're actually EEC-IV.  But not all of them have a working DLC.  Click this & read the whole caption:

But you either read the codes wrong (some of those numbers don't apply to bullnoses), or the EEC is failing (throwing spurious codes).
Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
In reply to this post by Bruno2
Engines are easier to diagnose over the internet when all the codes are listed, and in order of test.

KOEO - (O) Self-Test Codes = ?
KOEO - (C)(CM) Continuous Memory Codes = ?
KOER - (R) Self-Test Codes = ?

Check Base Timing?
Check Timing Advance?

Do you have any Non-Stock modifications?
  (Air Intake? Smog System? Exhaust System? Ignition System?)
Vinny... "Do All Scheduled Maintenance Prior To Troubleshooting" "Resolve All Known Issues Prior To Troubleshooting"
Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
This post was updated on .
What Engine & Tranny do you have ?

His EGR system is a mess....

Try taking off the EGR EVP sensor.
Spray in some WD-40 or PB Blaster
Take a large flat punch and beat the EGR-Valve stem, closing the stuck EGR.  Re-test
Vinny... "Do All Scheduled Maintenance Prior To Troubleshooting" "Resolve All Known Issues Prior To Troubleshooting"
Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
Code 26 O/R – This could be the TOT sensor in his transmission.
(Transmission Oil Temperature)

Make sure the transmission is warmed up before checking codes. (drive it 5 miles)

When is the last time the tranny fluid and filter were changed?

Also, clean the electrical connector on the tranny....
Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
Code 63 O/C  - Throttle Position Sensor below minimum voltage.

Clean the TPS connector.
Check for 5v dc on TPS sensor Grey/Red striped wire.
Check for ground on TPS sensor Brown/White striped wire.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
In reply to this post by Steve83
It's a 1991 Bricknose with the 5.8 and E4OD Steve.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
In reply to this post by vjsimone
Vinny , show me some pics or a link that describes what I am looking at on the EGR system. I am not very familiar with them.

Thanks

Oh yeah, all of these codes were pulled with a jumper wire. IOW they are all KOEO.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Vinny scanned this stuff in. I'm gonna put it up on the website in a bit, but for now here 'tis. Thanks, Vinny!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
Ok.

" IOW they are all KOEO."

Mmmm, 36 is a KOER code........

Codes 33 & 34 are Continuous Memory codes, which indicates an intermittent issue. I'd say if you fix the Code 32, the 33 & 34 will go away....

If you take out the 3 screws holding this Grey EVP sensor, you can look inside the EGR, you will see the shaft that the EVP sensor rod rides against.  Tap on that and see if it moves any.

Check the action on that EVP shaft, see if it goes up and down easily.
You can also electrically check the sensor.

It's probably due for a new EGR-Valve.
Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
The other item I would check is the Idle Air Bypass Valve on the Throttle Body.  Unplug it, note any change in idle (if it will idle). I would remove it and clean it and the bypass slots in the throttle body, and replace with new gasket.
Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
Is there any way to delete the EGR system in a manner where it wont effect the Speed Density  EFI negatively?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No.  Among other things the ignition timing tables assume EGR so gives a lot of advance when it is supposed to be on as the inert gas significantly slows the burn rate.  If you block it off and there's no inert gas in the cylinder the air/fuel mix will burn much faster than the computer expects and you'll have pinging if not detonation.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by vjsimone
Guys - I've started a new page: Electrical/Electronic Engine Control (EEC).  My intent is to use it to bring together several bits and pieces that we already have.

But, for this conversation if now has the error code info on it from Vinny.  See what you think, please.

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Bruno2 wrote
It's a 1991 Bricknose with the 5.8 and E4OD Steve.
Then you might have gotten the right codes, but you should still read that caption & re-read them a few times until you're sure.
Bruno2 wrote
Is there any way to delete the EGR system in a manner where it wont effect the Speed Density  EFI negatively?
No.  Ford didn't put any extra systems on the engine - they all help it run better.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, I tagged you in a facebook post of a video with the code flashes in it. I cant tell if the first faint flash is a 1 or 2 or if that is even a part of it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I didn’t get the tag and can’t find your FB post.