Nutmeg interior - upgrade

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
67 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Nutmeg interior - upgrade

delco1946
I'm having a hard time find nutmeg anything for my interior. I've been checking junkyards, too. My doors are very faded and dry rotted at the top (they scratch super easy from 30 years of sun damage). I'd rather find new panels or at least better-condition panels as i doubt painting such damaged panels will really be a long term solution.

Also, I was curious has anyone added rosewood trim to their panels to match the dash? Does this require a certain panel type - perhaps with a recessed area vs raised? Also, of all the new panels i can find online, in addition to not being nutmeg, don't have the chrome strip and some brands specify it cant be added (say from my old panel). Do i have any options to get a what i want that i might mot be aware of?  A nice condition nutmeg panel, with chrome insert for power windows and doors, with rosewood trim??

I'd also like a new dash pad at some point as my speaker grill is damaged, and is getting some cracks. Perhaps that's being too optimistic.
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Nutmeg interior - upgrade

grumpin
Might have to find a decent panel and paint it. I don't have any experience adding the wood trim.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
I may try painting, as i suppose i have nothing to loose. I have yet to see the rose wood inserts up close, but I'm going to portlands car parts expo this weekend so hopefully i find some goodies!!
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
delco1946 wrote
I may try painting, as i suppose i have nothing to loose. I have yet to see the rose wood inserts up close, but I'm going to portlands car parts expo this weekend so hopefully i find some goodies!!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/80-86-1980-1986-Ford-Truck-or-Bronco-door-Woodgrain-Panels-Inserts-Power-Windows/173822083222?hash=item28789a8096:g:deMAAOSwo61cfZhq&frcectupt=true

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by delco1946
Even some of the replacement parts in the MPC were “paint to match”... if you use the proper products and techniques the paint will work. The crumbly parts issue is something you will have to decide if you can live with or find replacements (either reproductions or better condition used parts). Either way don’t be limited by the color.

The rosewood door panels were originally attached with tiny plastic tabs (82-84) or metal tabs (80/81). These do not survive removal in most cases, and if you are adding rosewood you will have to use adhesive. I have contemplated gluing elevator bolts to the corners of the panels, and nuts on the back side, but there is limited space for bolts to stick through and it looks like they will probably rattle and rub. Some people screw through the panel with sheet metal screws but I think it looks horrid. Note that the 80/81 rosewood panels are aluminum over press board, and 82-84 are hard plastic. They are easier to re-mount and don’t get the big silver circle scratch on crank window trucks. Both warp equally bad, and the plastic ones have the pin stripe painted on (instead of aluminum showing through) and it is often rubbing off. Nice panels are hard to find, but they sure are attractive.

The original panels also had a large cut-out square behind the window crank area. This may be necessary for power window wiring and switches, but if you have crank windows you do not need to hack out this hole. It just went hand in hand with tooling for the plastic tab slots.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Thank you for the picture, that's perfect - helps me understand what/how i need to engineer panels to make this project happen! And hadn't really thought of just buying OEM/NOS panels in a different color and then painting it to match. I'd feel a lil bad but i guess i could use a common panel color....plus it would look fantastic afterward  
Reply | Threaded
|

Custer
I have a new OEM arm rest pad that was suppose to be tan but is more brownish. If you need it let me know. I also have two tan armrest pads that are in perfect shape...just faded. They were tan
Custer
North Carolina
Paul.mypc@yahoo.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
You might also look for used panels on eBay that already have the rosewood. It may be cheaper than buying them separately and you wouldn’t have to worry about mounting them. I don’t happen to see any right now but they do turn up from time to time and can be reasonable.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Thanks for the offer Paul! My armrest pads are actually in pretty good shape, its actually been strange how some parts have faded a lot and others look much better. My door panels are bad, one of my quarter panels is awful, and at the very least id like to get a dash cover - although once again i can't find one in nutmeg lol.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
delco1946 wrote
I'm having a hard time find nutmeg anything for my interior.

Nutmeg?

https://www.amazon.com/Ford-Bronco-F-150-F150-Armrest/dp/B01EO45HE6/ref=sr_1_47?keywords=E1TZ&qid=1554481817&s=gateway&sr=8-47
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
anything but armrests (or the single cracked door panel on eBay)

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
That's a good question. Do we have a picture of what original "nutmeg" colored panels look like?
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
Interior colors are here: Specifications/Interior Paint.  And on the Ford's Color Names tab you'll see this.  Note that E1TZ 1004104 is a visor and "A3T" is Nutmeg.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks, Gary.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant

My ‘81 was originally nutmeg. There wasn’t much left, and I didn’t much care for the color so I changed it. Sorry, no parts... they were too rough to keep.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Ford F834 wrote
My ‘81 was originally nutmeg. There wasn’t much left, and I didn’t much care for the color so I changed it. Sorry, no parts... they were too rough to keep.
Ahhh, Ok, now I see what color you guys are talking about.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Nutmeg interior Here is an interior picture from my truck right after I bought it. The color can be tricky, sometimes it looks like Brown and other times it almost looks more orange.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
While all the pieces were supposedly "Nutmeg", even originally they didn't exactly match.  And, over time each type of plastic has changed even more, whether from the sun or the type of material of which they are made.

Notice the softer vinyl of the seat is different than the harder vinyl of the dash.  And the hard plastic of the dash is yet another color.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
thats just a seat cover. Pretty good match considering

The door panels and one of the quarter panels are really the only thing that looks really bad, although my dash pad has physical damage. It is odd how things discolored differently. I took the cover off to see what was under, its the original higher end trimmed seat but its seen better days - no surprise considering someone decided to cover it. I'll get that replaced eventually with something with a bit more pizazz.