Now that I am at 3rd base on the Bronco project . . back to step 1

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Now that I am at 3rd base on the Bronco project . . back to step 1

PetesPonies
I first found this site while I was looking for information about my HVAC. What I have learned is I had a dealer installed AC . .which is not present now. I am not running AC on this . .not now anyway. So I have 5 pics of what is left. as is, I do not have a working heating system. I know the controls are typically vacuum, but mine are 100% cable. I assume that is the part of the dealer installed stuff as well. I like cables anyway  :) But I have nothing hooked up. And no cables reach to where they should be connected. Look closely at the pics I showed. I know it's difficult to get proper orientation often, looking at pics. I'm looking for the easiest solution to have temperature control and position of such. My two sliders work fine. I can see where they should be attached, I believe. One under the dash and the other in the engine compartment. Does anyone more knowledgeable with these trucks see anything different? Do I just look for cables that will work? The connection from the engine compartment is missing a place to screw down the cable, as you can see in the pic. So being that "hardware " is missing . . ?????? I'm about ready to recolor the dash and want to know what needs to happen here before I do it. Any thoughts, thanks.

Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Now that I am at 3rd base on the Bronco project . . back to step 1

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I understand it is standard and yes, I do like the cables  :)  A LOT. But something is a miss, it seems. Obviously as I said, no cables are attached nor are there any cables that will reach, or attach. So something is missing it seems.. . maybe just the correct cables? maybe the dealer installed AC changed the stock cables?? This is what I;'m not understanding.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Bueller Bueller Bueller ?? anyone? :)
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
I guess I'm confused, I see two cables that look to be attached.

This one controls air flow, to either the defrost vent or the floor vent:

This one controls the air's temperature:
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Yes you are confused  They are not attached. They in no way are even close to be attached. I told you it's difficult to understand a pic. I was hoping someone with a lot of experience with these in this area would be able to see the issue. They truly are not connected. The slider controls are connected to nothing .  and nothing is there to connect to anyway. I appreciate the help . . I guess look again  :)  The two areas you point to are indeed where something would attach, but the cables that are there are not connected to the slider, nor can they be connected. They are not even close in length, plus one needs a support to screw itself to . .which there is not one there.  . .  ( your first pic ) The second pic would be more straight forward, as if that cable made it to the control, no issue. But it's not close. It must have worked at some time . .but how? What is missing? What do I need?
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Oz Econoline/F100
It looks just like the standard heat box that I have in my stock 1980 F100 and they look as if they are connected to the heat box it self but not the controller. I don't know if the cables have been changed with the dealer air but the ones on my truck with out air go from the heater tap from the engine bay to the hot/cold switch and the other from the heater box to the air duct/defogger/windscreen /floor levels switch. I hope that this may help in some way Cheer Darin
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
So yes this could help. Can you tell me how long each are? I do think the original cables were changed when the dealer AC was installed, as these that I have in now way work as is.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Oz Econoline/F100
Its a bit hard to measure but a quick run over with a tape is that they are around 30'selector one and 33 plus inches long in the cab but the a that goes into the engine bay you with have to add to the 33'. Its pretty hard to measure with the dash all back. I can see that the hot/cold line runs on the front side of the heater box (seats side of the dash).The other vent line runs in a loop around the back of the heater box from the switch to the controller> hope this is a help Cheer Darin It did look like in one off those pictures that both end off the cable was connected but the loop off the cable was lifted off the controller
Reply | Threaded
|

Oz Econoline/F100
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
And from what I can remember they (cables) both connect to the switch in the same area as in pic number 2
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Yes I know right where they connect. So estimate is 30" for one and about 45-50" for the other. Is that about right? See my cables are in no way that long, not even in the ballpark. And this is what I was trying to find out. I'm going to go to a pick and pull next week for a few things for the fleet, so I'll look for some. If anyone here has a set, let me know. Thanks
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
PetesPonies,

If you cannot find good used or NOS ones, I have read where some have fabricated similar cables using throttle cables for lawn mowers.
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Yeah always a choice. NOS won't be though  :) Thanks
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Stopped at the pick -n-pull. Can't call it local, because it's not. 3 hrs on the road round trip. But it's a nice one. Found the two cables I needed and some A pillar trim pieces. $19 for everything. I think I saw 8 or 9 Bullnoses there.

Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
PetesPonies wrote
Stopped at the pick -n-pull. Can't call it local, because it's not. 3 hrs on the road round trip. But it's a nice one. Found the two cables I needed and some A pillar trim pieces. $19 for everything. I think I saw 8 or 9 Bullnoses there.
Nice score. I wish we had some Bullnoses at our local pick and pull yard.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995