Not what I was looking for but I could not pass this up!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Not what I was looking for but I could not pass this up!

Ford F834
Administrator
I have been poking around online looking for donors/parts-ads to potentially fix the recent damage to my ‘81. I came across something that does not help me with that truck, but was just too good to pass up.

Non-running 1989 F250 4x4 supercab IDI with a ZF-5. It supposedly ran strong until he switched to the front fuel tank which resulted in some fuel system bad-ness and it’s been parked ever since. (2-3 years? Last registration was 2016). It turns over by the damper bolt but starter would not crank. The engine is not original. It’s a late 6.9 with bolt in oilers, not a 7.3. The shift lever is broken off at the stub, and he was shifting it with a pipe. He said it shifted fine for the year or so that he used it. The body is bit crusty. I’m guessing it came from the salt belt. It’s useable, but I wouldn’t invest heavily into it. It might also serve as a parts donor to get my crew cab on the road, or re-power a Bronco at some later time. For the $500 price tag I can recover most of my expense even if I simply scrap it. If I’m lucky I’ll get a user 6.9 diesel and 5 speed out of it. It has a good manual tilt column and Lund visor, and some other goodies. Axles are 4.10 ratio (bummer). Front is a D50. Transfer case is a slip yoke BW1356. First step will be to see if I can get it started on a can of fuel and a new starter.

SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Not what I was looking for but I could not pass this up!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Charlie seems to like it.  

Seriously though, you can't go wrong at that price - as long as you don't plan to put it back on the road.  And if the engine and tranny are good you are miles ahead.

Might the front axle be a D50?  Bigger lockouts than the D44's?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Gary, D50 are default for supercab 250's.

Looks like Jonathan found the 4x4 Zf I mentioned to him when I parted the Superduty.  

That gearbox, even with diesel ratios, is worth more than five bills.
Good find!  "
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
The kids were having a blast playing in it while I checked it out. They drove it around the world. And yes, supercab 250’s got the D50 TTB. I’m not really sure how I want to use this, I just know viable IDI donors and 4x4 ZF’s are getting tough to come by... especially at a low price. I may have a dud, but don’t think so. I can definitely recover the price of admission if nothing else.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
The shifter broke in the 88 7.3 with the ZF I used to own.

Pulled up to a stop sign reached over for the shifter, couldn’t find it, look over and it’s laying on the floor!

My wife had drove it before, so naturally...
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I’m not sure why this is such a common fail, as the stub is a fairly substantial piece of metal. I’m guessing the bolt threaded into it must slightly act as a wedge and a crack grows over time and breaks under the leverage of the shift cane. It’s not difficult to remedy, but the thought of it breaking off in your hand at an inopportune moment is unsettling. I don’t really know what to do preemptively except carry a spare.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I've welded up 3 or 4 of these in my day.

From 302-460's.

I always weld full penetration and then clean up the groove with a flex shaft or Dremel leaving a root radius.
I knock the sharp corners back on both the stub and stick.

Don't know if this is SOP or even the best method, but it is what I have done.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Ford F834 wrote
I’m not sure why this is such a common fail, as the stub is a fairly substantial piece of metal.
You just reminded me of something I hadn't thought of for many years. I was doing some forestry work for a while back when I finished college and we were driving an F350 diesel dually 5spd every day. It was a cab and chassis truck and I forget what year it was, but it was definitely a Bricknose...1988-1991 somewhere. This happened in late 1992 I would say and the truck was already a few years old. Anyway, we were back in the woods...probably 20 miles from civilization, and the damn shifter snapped off when we went to leave one day. I remember Terry went to push the shifter forward and his hand smacked the dash with the shifter in it...lol. 27 years ago I forget how big that broken stub was, but we used a bunch of extensions out of the tool box to make a shifter out of. It was sloppy as shit, but it worked to get us home.

Jon, that truck doesn't look all that crusty in the pics....well, at least not what I call crusty anyway...lol. In any case, not a bad investment imho. Even if you did have to part it out, the bed would be worth what you paid for the truck (in my area at least). I didn't even realize until recently that some of these trucks had fiberglass bed sides?

PS: Is that your Jetta in the pics? ALH or BEW? I had three different Mk4 ALH cars, and man those things were so awesome. Consistently in the high 40's for MPG, and if you drove them easy on the highway 50MPG was achievable.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ford F834 wrote
 ...the thought of it breaking off in your hand at an inopportune moment is unsettling.
Now I'm going to worry about that for a long time.  I'll be in the back of beyond, in 1st, and it'll break off.    

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
Ford F834 wrote
It’s not difficult to remedy, but the thought of it breaking off in your hand at an inopportune moment is unsettling.
Is there ever an opportune moment for your shifter to fail?

This kind of thing even happens to those of us with automatics.  Me in 2011:

Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Dorsai wrote
Ford F834 wrote
It’s not difficult to remedy, but the thought of it breaking off in your hand at an inopportune moment is unsettling.
Is there ever an opportune moment for your shifter to fail?

This kind of thing even happens to those of us with automatics.  Me in 2011:

Matthew, your problem was that the shifter was on the wrong side!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Corey, by rust belt standards I’m sure this is salvageable, but with so many rust free trucks/parts around in my area it isn’t worth messing with:

The Jetta is a late 1999 with the ALH engine. It’s pretty consistently 50 mpg, although I’ve gotten as low as 48 driving like a real jerk. Well, I did get 44 once but I had a horrible Leak in my IP seal which does not count in my book if it’s dripping all over the road. It’s neat when you have a ~13 gallon tank and the fuel warming light comes on at 600+ miles since fill up. I bought it with 109K miles and I’m at 286K now. Still runs just like it did when I got it. I’m getting ready to do timing belt change number 3. As long as you don’t let that break you can easily get 500K+ out of them before rebuilding... which I probably will do since the newer ones are not as good as these.

Gary, carrying a spare stub is a pretty minimal item, and you can usually improvise with a piece of pipe, vice grips or similar extension to get you home. What gives me the creeps is it happening while changing lanes in fast city traffic, or while downshifting on a steep grade with a trailer or... or... 😬. I just wish there was perhaps a way to preemptively reinforce it so it wouldn’t break in the first place. I’m going to explore that possibility along with attaching a more period correct lever.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Because of my body lift and center console on the Ranger, I have to run a custom extension on my shift lever. I've had a couple incidents where the bolts would come loose and the lever would not be able to move the stub and my extension. I carry tools so I was able to fix it each time, but it was still nerve racking when you're sitting in traffic and everyone else is going but you're not. I can only imagine what it must be like for the stub to snap off. I learned pretty quickly with my shifter that blue Loctite, lock washers, and locknuts are my best friend and I haven't had a problem since.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I got a chance to mess with the 6.9 a little. I put in a new starter, borrowed a couple batteries from my other vehicles, bought some ether, and tried to start it off a gallon jug of fresh diesel. It has been a comedy of errors but I did get it to fire up and run. It sounds pretty decent for a truck that’s been sitting for a couple years. I pulled the oil filler cap and it has remarkably little blow by for an IDI. I don’t have an oil pressure gauge on it, but overall the engine health seems decent. I’d say it can be run the way it is for a while if I want. I’m still undecided what to do with it, but at least I know it’s not a block of scrap.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Sounds like you got a deal that was too good to pass up, Jonathan!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's!  Maybe with that and all the other bits and pieces you can get the crew cab on the road?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim, I would say I got a deal... I realize there can still be plenty wrong but so far his story is checking out and it’s probably a good used runner.

Gary, that’s the direction I am leaning with this since the grandkid situation creates a pressing need for a back seat. I don’t relish the idea of putting a “temporary” engine in, since swapping IDI engines is not what I call a breezy task, but I don’t want to rush the performance 7.3. It has crossed my mind to leave it in the 89 since it is a SuperCab with a back seat. But it isn’t a vehicle I want to keep and I loath to put parts and labor into it. On the surface it does not seem to need to much but I know better... so if I pull it, it has to go in something. If not the crew cab then my other wish would be a Bronco. The immediate plan will be to pull the bed off the 89 and put it on blocks behind out pump house. Get the fiberglass camper shell from my folks house and put it on the bed. Pull drive train and anything useful and stuff it in the covered truck bed so it won’t get ruined. Get the rest out of our yard.