No Parking Lights in Rear and no Blinkers?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
36 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

No Parking Lights in Rear and no Blinkers?

kristopherdb
Any ideas where to start I replaced every fuse in the fuse panel with brand new. Everything is working but parking light and my blinkers. 4 Ways work
1985 4x4 F150 Flareside 6L Manual 4 with Granny gear
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: No Parking Lights in Rear and no Blinkers?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Tell us more - are you still blowing a fuse?  If so, which one?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mp470
In reply to this post by kristopherdb
Do you have reverse lights?
1985 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0 EFI, RWD, 8.8 Axle
Reply | Threaded
|

kristopherdb
No sir no reverse lights. All the fuses look good.
Reply | Threaded
|

mp470
The blinkers and reverse lamps share the same fuse / circuit but that is all I know. So there's an open somewhere in that circuit.  Need a wiring diagram next.
1985 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0 EFI, RWD, 8.8 Axle
Reply | Threaded
|

kristopherdb
could it be the big round one in the fuse box? I did not change that one
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by mp470
Electrical diagrams are best found in the Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual.  Go to Electrical/EVTM/1986 EVTM in the menu.  That gets you to the top level.  From there you may want to go to #3 Fuse Panel & Circuit Protection to see what fuses power what.  Or #12 Stop, Turn, & Hazard Lamps for those circuits.

Hope that helps.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kristopherdb
Thank you I’ll give it a look 👀 

From: Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <ml+[hidden email]>
Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2017 3:58:50 PM
To: kristopherdb
Subject: Re: No Parking Lights in Rear and no Blinkers?

Electrical diagrams are best found in the Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual.  Go to Electrical/EVTM/1986 EVTM in the menu.  That gets you to the top level.  From there you may want to go to #3 Fuse Panel & Circuit Protection to see what fuses power what.  Or #12 Stop, Turn, & Hazard Lamps for those circuits.

Hope that helps.
Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads, Weiand intake, Street Demon 750/ZF5/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/T19/3.55's

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/No-Parking-Lights-in-Rear-and-no-Blinkers-tp1413p1436.html
To unsubscribe from No Parking Lights in Rear and no Blinkers?, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
Big, round one... one of the flashers? There are 2, one on the front for the turn signals and a heavy-duty variant on the back of the fuse box for the emergency flashers.

Neither flasher has anything to do with the backup lights, though.
Reply | Threaded
|

kristopherdb
Ok I replaced the fuse again and now have blinkers. Still no parking light but just on the back and the bulbs have to be good cause they come on when I push brakes. 

Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2017 4:18 PM
To: kristopherdb <[hidden email]>

Big, round one... one of the flashers? There are 2, one on the front for the turn signals and a heavy-duty variant on the back of the fuse box for the emergency flashers.

Neither flasher has anything to do with the backup lights, though.

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/No-Parking-Lights-in-Rear-and-no-Blinkers-tp1413p1441.html
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't understand "Still no parking light but just on the back".  Are you saying that you have parking lights in the front but not in the back?

The blinkers and the park lamps use the same bulbs, but different filaments in the bulbs.  So just because one filament works doesn't mean the other should.  Maybe you have two bad bulbs?

Reply | Threaded
|

kristopherdb
That’s correct. My tail lights mind mine are the step side ones come on when the brake is applied but do not come on when I pull the headlight switch out one click. These ones do work though. Image

Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2017 4:31 PM

I don't understand "Still no parking light but just on the back".  Are you saying that you have parking lights in the front but not in the back?

The blinkers and the park lamps use the same bulbs, but different filaments in the bulbs.  So just because one filament works doesn't mean the other should.  Maybe you have two bad bulbs?
Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads, Weiand intake, Street Demon 750/ZF5/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/No-Parking-Lights-in-Rear-and-no-Blinkers-tp1413p1444.html
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Assuming that the tail lights don't work either, I'll bet that both bulbs have blown filaments.

Reply | Threaded
|

kristopherdb
Oh the same bulb has two different filaments. I get it now. I wonder if I bought the wrong ones. I had proactively replaced the bulbs. 

Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2017 4:54 PM

Assuming that the tail lights don't work either, I'll bet that both bulbs have blown filaments.

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/No-Parking-Lights-in-Rear-and-no-Blinkers-tp1413p1447.html
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The tail/brake lights should be 1157's, which have two filaments and staggered pins so they can't be put in incorrectly.  The one-filament bulbs are 1156's and if I remember correctly they have the pins even with each other as it doesn't matter how they are put in.

Another possibility is a bad ground, which do really weird things that boggle the mind.  But let's see if the bulbs are good first.

Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
Gary Lewis wrote
But let's see if the bulbs are good first.
I tend to forget about the easy, obvious stuff sometimes.
Reply | Threaded
|

kristopherdb
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
ok i took out the bulb turned on the parking lights and put a meter across a pins and the surround and got nothing, cleaned the connector double checked the 1157 and still nothing
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm not quite sure what you mean.  Did you check voltage from each of the two pins of the tail light socket to a known ground?  Or just voltage from the pins to the outside shell of the connector?  If you didn't have voltage from either pin then you either have a wiring problem or a ground problem.  You should try again from the pins to a known-good ground.  Perhaps to a long wire run from the battery's ground?  That way you can determine if it is a ground problem or a wiring problem.

Also, have you checked that the bulbs are good?  Like checked for resistance from both solder spots to the shell?

Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
There are 2 pins in a 1157 bulb socket; one is for the parking lights (brown wire) and the other is for the stop/turn lamp. Test each pin uniquely to a known-good ground, e.g. unpainted body sheet metal, a wire direct to the battery negative terminal, the truck frame would work. Don't trust the body of the socket, its connection to ground may be bad or broken.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I just had to straighten out a wiring mess in the rear of my F250.

I would get the front and the left rear parking lights. No right or license plate lights.

Found a bad connection where the parking lights were tied in to the trailer plug.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona