New user here

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New user here

Chris85250’s
Hello and thanks for starting this site. Looking forward to thumbing or clicking through it. I’m up here in Massachusetts, and the weather  has taken its toll on all the trucks up here. First truck I have is an 85 f250 reg cab with a 6.9 that I plow with. The 85 super cab is practically rust free I got for free and needs a motor. Currently building a 460 and gonna be my tow pig!DCABC448-419E-4815-9396-2CEAA3ABA4E9.jpeg
1985 6.9 plow truck
1985 super cab 460 haulin rig!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New user here

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Chris - Welcome!  Glad you joined.  

What part of MA?  We have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and can add you if you give us a city or zip.

I've added your pic - nice trucks!  You'll have to start a thread and tell us all about them.  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Chris85250’s
Gary I’m from rockland zip code 02370. I will post more info in the upcoming days!
1985 6.9 plow truck
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Glad to have you!
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Chris85250’s
You are now, quite literally, on the map!  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Welcome Chris!

Did your Supercab come setup with a fifth wheel or gooseneck hitch?

Agree they both look nice from here in Connecticut!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris85250’s
Ardwrkntrk,
It did at one point have a fifth wheel hitch. It used to haul cattle to butcher down south. It’s setup now for a piggyback camper, but going to put a fifth wheel back in it!F24ED55F-0025-4ACB-8835-D8FACEE26CAD.jpeg
1985 6.9 plow truck
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator

She's got different wheels now.

The pup doesn't look happy.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris85250’s
Yes, that’s how I got it for free. That was previous owner on the beach. He left the beach got on the highway and blew the motor. It sat for a year and his craigslist add said 1500 bucks with rims or tires, or free without them. I picked it up for parts for the plow truck. When I showed up to look at it, I said no way can I take parts off this thing!

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 6:03 PM ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

She's got different wheels now.

The pup doesn't look happy.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with an Edelbrock 1826 and Performer intake.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/New-user-here-tp77690p77703.html
To unsubscribe from New user here, click here.
NAML
1985 6.9 plow truck
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
***If I were the PO*** I think I would have bought a re-man engine for $1500 and kept rolling with it!  

Does it have the old engine now (for core)?

Edit: I see you say you're rebuilding the engine now.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
Wow, that's a pretty sweet deal! Welcome!
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris85250’s
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I picked up a motor that had 40k on it out of a rv, I tore it down, gonna have it bored to .030 and build it with some goodies. Paid 200 for that 460

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 6:23 PM ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think I would have bought a re-man engine for $1500 and kept rolling with it!  

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with an Edelbrock 1826 and Performer intake.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/New-user-here-tp77690p77706.html
NAML
1985 6.9 plow truck
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris85250’s
Also had a set do DO0e-R heads for it as well. And the motor that was blown had and eldebrock performer aluminum intake and eldebrock 750 I think. So I’ll use that stuff on the new 460 as well as a set of full tube headers and a bunch of other goodies I got for it. Hopefully be in the 400hp/500 torque range. Want this thing to pull a fifth wheel nice and easy!

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 6:23 PM ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think I would have bought a re-man engine for $1500 and kept rolling with it!  

Jim,

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/New-user-here-tp77690p77706.html
NAML
1985 6.9 plow truck
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't think the CJ/SCJ heads are going to do you ANY favors in your 466 application.
The intake runners are way too big, and they don't start to shine until you get to a cam with .600 lift and a very long exhaust lobe.
They will spin to 8k with a Dommie on a Victor type intake, but none of that is where you say you're going.

If it were me (and it isn't) I'd much rather go with some nicely ported D0VE-C's and trade those heads for a stroker crank with forged rods for tow duty.
521 seems the sweet spot.

L&L produce about the only rugged headers for that engine.
I'll let Gary fill you in about the fitment problems!

Just my 2c but I wouldn't want to be turning huge revs to make power dragging something around.
If it were a pulling truck or drag car in an iron head class then you've got gold.
Scott Johnson is a member here and he has the chops to back that up, but I'm just another know-it-all on the internet...
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote

Scott Johnson is a member here and he has the chops to back that up, but I'm just another know-it-all on the internet...
The headers that were on Big Blue when I got him were L&L's, and they touched the frame on the driver's side.  I had Scott Johnson build me a 460 with EFI heads, which take different exhausts, and bought L&L's because of the 1/2" thick flange on them, which prevents leaks.  But they hit the frame on the passenger's side.  So I had to trim ~1/2 for a ways off the bottom of the frame to get the needed clearance.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Scottie is THE 385 head porting guru! (along with Paul Kane)  

Parklandautomachine.com

Ask him about what I said.
Maybe he'll want to buy them.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris85250’s
So you are saying my DOVe heads won’t do anything for me? Almost all I’ve read is that these heads setting the timing back to 0, and the intake and headers will wake it up a lot. I’m no know it all and to be honest kinda just jumped into putting a motor In this truck on a whim! It’s to nice to rob parts off for my plow truck.

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 7:33 PM ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't think the CJ/SCJ heads are going to do you ANY favors in your application.
The intake runners are way too big, and they don't start to shine until you get to a cam with .600 lift and a very long exhaust lobe.
They will spin to 8k with a Dommie on a Victor type intake, but none of that is where you say you're going.

If it were me (and it isn't) I'd much rather go with some nicely ported D0VEs and trade those heads for a stroker crank with forged rods for tow duty.
521 seems the sweet spot.

Just my 2c but I wouldn't want to be turning huge revs to make power dragging something around.
If it were a pulling truck or drag car in an iron head class then you've got gold.
 Jim,

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/New-user-here-tp77690p77721.html
NAML
1985 6.9 plow truck
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
First off, above you say you have doors, now you say you have doves....

There's a BIG difference between Cobra Jet/Super Cobra Jet heads and 1970 Lincoln heads, like valve sizes, port location and the intake runner volume.
If you want a race car the doors stand above the doves, but unless you're building a race engine I think either of those would be bettered by a pair of well ported D3's if you're looking for the torque to tow something.

Add the fact that the Edelbrock Performer series won't even meet the ports in a CJ head and you have a recipe for disappointment.
Especially with a small displacement build where you're going to have to rev it to the moon to get those ports to have any filling inertia.

"There is no replacement for displacement" is an absolute fact.
If you want to move big heavy things you need grunt like a lineman, not a sprinting running back.

If you have the Performer and only a 750 carb, trade those heads for something better suited to you needs... like a stroker crank that will give you more displacement and compression in one swoop.

Have someone work the bowls and exhaust ports of some smaller runner heads and choose a cam that tops out at ~5,500.

Talk to Scott. His email is on his website.
He knows more about these things than any 10 of us, and can get you a cam ground specifically for your application.
Gary will tell you, he's a straight shooter and good to work with.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Welcome! 🙂
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona