classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New tool: used MIG welder

Ford F834
Administrator
I've been wanting to get my own welding set up for quite a while, but good machines are expensive... and I did not want a cheap-o junk welder that can barely do exhaust pipes. Used welders didn't appeal to me much as people don't tend to get rid of them if they are any good...

It is with a great deal of sadness that I say that my good friend Steve who shortened my crew cab frame and sold me the 1981 F150 passed away from cancer this September. A mutual friend from work told me that Steve's wife was trying to get what she could out of all of his cars and tools. To make a long story short I bought the welding machine that Steve used to shorten my frame. It had been left outside but had plastic over it. It feeds wire and strikes an arc, so I figured it was worth a gamble on it.

It is a Lincoln Weld Pak 5000 HD 220v Mig. It is missing the argon bottle, hose and regulator but I've been told I could try flux core wire until I get the gas parts. It came with a cheap Chicago Electric helmet. I think it is a harbor freight deal, but it is adjustable auto darkening and seems to work. I know there are much better machines out there, but hopefully this one will serve me through the building of my truck projects. Time to read up on how to use it, and pick up a few supplies for it... I'm excited! 😀

SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New tool: used MIG welder

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That is bitter sweet - lose a friend but gain a tool. 😢

But, that should be a good tool. I don’t know what all brands Scott sells, but it might include Lincoln.

And, you may have the same helmet I have. It works for welding and solar eclipses. 😜
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I read that some people watched the eclipse through welding helmets but this one does not always black out when pointed at the sun. I tested it in the shop at work by tagging a piece of scrap steel to a grinder and it darkened each time so I think it is safe.

Scott had Miller welders at the gtg. They were nice but quite out of my budget. So far I'm into this one $300 for the machine, metal cart, helmet, pair of gloves and a bag of tips. It has some wire in it but I don't even know what kind or size. I've found 20 cf argon bottles on eBay for $85, hose and regulator set for $35 and an argon fill is ~$80. I don't expect the same results that I was getting out of Scott's $1,600 machine and $275 helmet, but hopefully it will do a respectable job for my purposes.

My diesel build has quite a few things that need welded:

Fish plate the frame
Intercooler charge pipes
Core support modification for IC
DNE2 to BW1356 adapter
DNE2 cross member
Cross member for Bronco tank
Front hitch receiver
Traction bars (eventually)
Some kind of steps
I might even chop the '81...

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Mine was reliable up to the very last on the eclipse. But just at the darkest, and we were at 90%, you had to ensure you were looking directly at the sun.

Anyway, you made a good purchase and will get good use out of that welder. I can't imagine being without one.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
One thing a friend of mine found out the hard way, he bought a Lincoln Mig welder from Lowe's, when he needed something for it, I think the drive for the wire feed, he went and ordered it from Lincoln only the find even though it was the same model, it had a different setup inside it. I think he told me there was a long model number that was different from the ones sold through welding supply houses.

Based on that, I looked at a number of sources and discovered Northern Tool is actually listed as a Hobart distributor, so I bought a Hobart.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Good to know, thank you. I assumed that Lincoln being a major name that parts would be available, but evidently I will need to be very careful when ordering to be sure I get the right one. To further complicate things, I believe this model is called different things depending on where it was sold.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Judging by Scott’s Victor Welding Supply Facebook page they do sell Lincoln equipment. So if you have trouble finding parts I’m sure he would help you. He remembers you as he mentioned you recently.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Judging by Scott’s Victor Welding Supply Facebook page they do sell Lincoln equipment. So if you have trouble finding parts I’m sure he would help you. He remembers you as he mentioned you recently.
Thanks! I will keep Scott in mind. I'm pretty sure I found the Facebook page...

https://www.facebook.com/Victor-Welding-Supply-365351830302703/

Reply | Threaded
|

scbill
I have had this model for many years now, get the gas setup...you will not regret it. A really good choice for a DIY shop. When you run a pass, just brush it, and you're done, no slag to clean off, also you can better see what you're doing, no banging a rod to get started, just put it in place and pull the trigger.
1983 F100 XL 300, 6 cyl, aod, long bed
1961 E100 pickup, 289,C4