classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Lima Delta
Howdy all,
New to the forum, but been taking care of and driving my '85 F250 4x4 for six years or so. Recently started driving it more often, meaning more maintenance, and hence a need for more information. It's a regular cab, long box, "styleside". No lift but it sits pretty high on its stock-sized pizza cutter tires and 16" wheels. I find the narrower tread does an excellent job finding traction through snow - in fact, I just got back from pulling my neighbour out of the windrow at the end of his driveway. Truck is mechanically pretty sound, but the old original 351W will need a rebuild soon. I replaced the old Holley carb with a four barrel Edelbrock a while back and that really gave the old beast some new kick. Out here, it's keeping the rust at bay which is the real trick. Not many trucks of this vintage still worth looking at in these parts!
Cheers,
Lucas
Lucas
"The truck" - 1985 regular cab F250 4x4 - 351W HO, C6
"Beige Beast" (project) - 1981 regular cab F250 4x4 - 300 straight six, T18
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New member

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome, Lucas!  Yes, these trucks can get through the snow.  In a way that's how I got into them - I drove Dad's truck in a major snowstorm and it went anywhere I wanted to go, with ease.

So, where is "these parts"?  We have a member's map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map) and I can add you to it if you'll give me a town.

Interesting that you say and Edelbrock gave the 351W "some new kick".  I'm an Edelbrock fan but haven't done a 4180C to an Eddy swap.  What Eddy did you put on?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Hstrymkrs
In reply to this post by Lima Delta
Welcome to the forum, Lima. Good looking bullnose with the snow accents.
1985 Ford Bronco XLT, 4.9L, NP-435 transmission, NP0208 transfer case, 3.55 limited slip rear end,TTB Dana 44 with 3.54
Reply | Threaded
|

Lima Delta
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hi Gary,
Yeah, add me to the map please. I'm in Neebing, Ontario, Canada. That's about 2.5 hours drive north of Duluth MN.

The carb's a 1406 if I remember right, with an electric choke. The extra kick no doubt had a lot to do with the fact that the old Holley was pretty tired. The Edelbrock dropped right on there and ran great without having to hook up a lot of vacuum hoses. I was running it for while with a clam-shell type air cleaner, and that added some kick too. I ended up putting the stock air cleaner assembly back on with the hot air by-pass, because I had some trouble when the outside air temperature got really cold. Carb has been running well and reliably now for a few years set up this way... It's no fuel miser though.

LD
Lucas
Reply | Threaded
|

Lima Delta
In reply to this post by Hstrymkrs
Hstrymkrs wrote
Welcome to the forum, Lima. Good looking bullnose with the snow accents.
Thanks - the snow accents are doing a good job hiding the road grime at the moment!
Lucas
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are now on the map - way up north.

And a 1406 is just right for a 351.  In fact, I recently called Edelbrock to ensure I'd told my brother the right thing when I said he should use my 1406 instead of the 750 he was planning for his 350.  Yep, that's the right carb.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Welcome to the forum!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Welcome Lima!

My wife had family in Duluth MN for years. So I've gotten close to your climate and snow totals but I am sure you have many tales to tell to us "Southerners" about real winters!!
Jamie Helmick
'85 Bronco 351W HO, C6, 4X4, Full rebuild @ 51k original miles (fire), Edelbrock air gap intake & 600 cfm carb. w/elec. choke. 4" RC lift w/35's. Check the Projects Page if you're interested.