classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
22 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gavin82
Hi All,

Found your forum after I got my 1982 F100 xls.  Looking forward to searching through all of the great information and talking to all of you while I work to bring my truck back to life.

Gavin.

Gavin
1982 F100 XLS 4.9L i6 auto
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New member

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  

A real, true XLS!?!?  COOL!  Don't get me wrong, you'd still be quite welcome with any truck.  But there aren't that many real XLS's out there.  

Where's home?  Do you want to be on our Member's Map?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gavin82
This post was updated on .
Hi Gary. Sure, please add me to the map. I live in Regina Saskatchewan, Canada.

As for the truck... the vin is 2FTCF10EXCCAxxxxx but it doesn’t really identify that it’s an xls. From what I’ve found so far on your website it’s seems to have a lot of the trim options.  Is there anyway to know for sure that it’s a true xls?
Gavin
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Gavin82
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gavin82 wrote
Hi Gary. Sure, please add me to the map. I live in Regina Saskatchewan, Canada.

As for the truck... the vin is 2FTCF10EXCCA94589 but it doesn’t really identify that it’s an xls. From what I’ve found so far on your website it’s seems to have a lot of the trim options.  Is there anyway to know for sure that it’s a true xls?
Greetings from the east coast Gavin (I'm in Nova Scotia).

Beauty of a truck ya got there. I'm a big fan of the Flaresides, but I've never actually seen an XLS in the flesh. I'd say you've got something pretty unique there.

Looks like original paint and stripes? The data tag on the driver's door jamb will tell you more about the trim/colors/options than the VIN, but I'm not sure if it will identify it 100% as a true XLS, but Gary will know. Is the tag still clear enough to read?

Can't wait to see the progress on this one;). Good luck!
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Nice truck! Welcome to the forum!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Gavin - You are now on the map.  And that shows me that you aren't far from Ray/Notenoughtrucks.  Maybe you two can have coffee some day.

As for the XLS, I do not believe there is anything in the VIN nor on the certification label that tells it was built as an XLS.  But if you find the build sheet it might.  Those are sometimes found between the foam and the springs at the bottom of the seat, under the carpet, stuffed in the dash above the glove box, or in other seemingly random places.  But in my work trying to decode a few build sheets I haven't seen anything on there that would say XLS.

So, perhaps a Marti report would?

Jonathan/FordF834 is pretty savvy about the XLS trucks, so maybe he knows?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
It certainly looks to be a XLS. The mirror(s) has been replaced as it is not black.

Wouldn't you like to have the dash pieces, Gary?
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
1986F150Six wrote
It certainly looks to be a XLS. The mirror(s) has been replaced as it is not black.
Funny you should mention that...

I came across a Bullnose parts truck this morning, also in Saskatchewan where Gavin is, and it has black mirrors on it;). Not sure if they were painted that way or not, but they caught my eye regardless:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/nipawin/1980-ford-f-150-2wd-very-solid-body/1384696696?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Tallyho
Welcome.  Pretty neat truck!
Tallyho
1984 f250 4x4 460 4 spd
Raymond maine
Reply | Threaded
|

844rd
Welcome!
Kevin 84 F-150 300 i6 Manual 3 speed overdrive 2.47 rear end
Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
Great! Another Saskatchewiener!

Greetings from Melville.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Welcome! And what a nice truck you have! Looks mostly original and most certainly seems to be a “real” XLS 🙂

As Gary mentioned, I am the one collecting XLS info and will share it here as a web page. I have yet to find anyone with an intact XLS build sheet... so if you find one in your truck please share! My suspicion is that it ~is denoted on the build sheet. It was named on the Ford 999 report (no longer available through Ford), and therefore should also be specified on the Marti report. Ford calls it a “package” in the dealer facts book literature and on the dealer invoice. This suggests it was more than just a trim level designation (which was not tracked by Ford), and more in line with the 80/81 Freewheeling packages which definitely were tracked and part of the build sheet. A Marti report should settle it if the build sheet cannot be located or is no longer readable.

What are your plans for it?
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gavin82
Hi All.  Thanks for all the greeting and comments.

Rembrant - I agree.  I like the look of the Flaresides as well… but had no idea that this truck was unique.  I really don’t think any changes were done to the truck over the years other then the new mirrors that were pointed out.  I also don’t think the running boards are factory either.  (By the way, the truck you pointed out has already sold.)

Gary – I started looking for a hidden build sheet but no luck yet.  I have never heard of a ‘Marti report’, I will look into this…

Jonathan – If I do find a build sheet I will for sure share to with you all.

As for plans for my truck…  It currently will not hold an idle and when I tried to take it for a short drive it ran really rough and the brakes were soft.  My short term plan is to get it up and running again so I can enjoy it.  Long term plan would hopefully be to restore it…  It needs a LOT of work though.
Gavin
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Gavin - The guys & gals here will tell you that my favorite saying is that these trucks are like onions.  We just keep peeling them and crying.  But, eventually we have a mess of onion rings.

So, keep peeling.  And please start a thread on your truck.  We'll follow along and offer encouragement and advice.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Here is an XLS in Knoxville

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1982-ford-f100-xls-stepside/6696329032.html
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ray - Nice looking truck.  Shame that the radio bezel, which is rare, was butchered.  And the black grille has been replaced, but that would be easily fixed with some paint.  Beyond that it needs some work, but is in pretty good shape.  Thinking of buying it?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Nice truck Gavin82! I will be sure to follow your progress! Welcome to the forum.
Jamie Helmick
'85 Bronco 351W HO, C6, 4X4, Full rebuild @ 51k original miles (fire), Edelbrock air gap intake & 600 cfm carb. w/elec. choke. 4" RC lift w/35's. Check the Projects Page if you're interested.
Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Met up with Gavin today. First rate guy, even bought coffee!

That's a real XLS truck he has there. Looking forward to seeing more of it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cool!  Wonder how far he'll drive to buy coffee?