New guy with an 81 Bronco

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New guy with an 81 Bronco

James81
Hi all, my names James. I live in Oregon and just picked up my first Bronco. Ive lurked on the site for a bit of time so I thought I would make an introduction. planing on replacing my front axle u joints this weekend so if anyone has any info, that would be much appreciated. Will try and get some pics of my rig up later today.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New guy with an 81 Bronco

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome, James!  Good to meet you.  

Where in Oregon?  We have at least three other members there, as you can see on the member's map: Bullnose Forum/Member's Map.  And I can add you to the map if you'd like - just give me a town/city and I'll put you on.

As for the u-joints for the front axle, we just had a discussion about the Spicer part number for them here: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Spicer-U-Joint-Part-Numbers-td21298.html.  But that didn't talk about how to do it, so if you have specific questions on that subject then please let us know.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

James81
Im From Portland, And I have been struggling to get the rotor off. any help with that would be awesome. even just pointing me in the right direction. I'm new to this whole thing
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are now on the map.  

As for the rotor, how far into that are you?  I just need to know where to start in the instructions.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

James81
Current.jpg his is the point I am currently at.
Removed.jpg
Snapring.jpg I have removed both of these. also not sure if it matters but the hub was free when I took it off
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm a little confused, but what's new, when looking at your pics.  But, have you gotten the snap ring out?  There's a ring w/o tabs for a pair of snap ring pliers that sits in a groove.  Easily missed as the ends almost touch.  You have to work on it w/a small screwdriver to get an end up and bring it out.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
James - I've added the instructions from the factory shop manual to this page (Driveline/4WD Front Hubs And Rotors) on the Instructions tab.  See if that helps, and let me know what else you need.

Reply | Threaded
|

James81
Sorry for the delay had to run to the parts store before I get snowed in. the pictures I include the first one label current is where the car is right now. the other two are what has been removed so far. and no I never removed another snap ring without tabs on it so ill look for that. Thanks for such quick replies you my friend are a life saver 
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Happy to help.  That's what this forum, and the accompanying website, is for.

And, speaking of the website, I'm scanning in the section on the Front Drive Axle as I type.  

Reply | Threaded
|

James81
So I can't seem to find the snap ring that you are talking about. is it in the outer groove or is it around the axle shaft itself?
I have installed two of the bolts from the cap in the holes to see if I could pull it out and it maybe moves 1/32 if an inch so something is till holding it in
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
My problem is that I have the hubs apart and on the bench, so how they came apart is well in the past.  But that is something I'm working on.  In the interim, here's the lock ring I'm talking about.  Do you have it out?

And, by the way, to post pics click the Insert Image button above, then Choose File and then Insert Image.  But if it comes back saying the pic is too big, and the limit is 1Mb, then just click Big Size and Insert Image.

Reply | Threaded
|

James81
okay just got that snap ring off. still won't come out though
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Can you give me a pic of where it went?  Or the other side that hasn't come out?

Reply | Threaded
|

James81
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hey thanks for the help gave it a tough pull and it came right out 

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 12:47 PM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Happy to help.  That's what this forum, and the accompanying website, is for.

And, speaking of the website, I'm scanning in the section on the Front Drive Axle as I type.  
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/soon-to-be ZF5/3.55's & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/New-guy-with-an-81-Bronco-tp22129p22145.html
To unsubscribe from New guy with an 81 Bronco, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Great!

And, when you get to it the instructions for the front axle are on page Driveline/Axles & Differentials and the Front Axles & Differentials tab followed by the Instructions tab.

Reply | Threaded
|

James81
Just wanna again say thank you so much for all your help today, you were a lifesaver  got the u joints replaced on both sides, now time for lower ball joints tomorrow, but first a drink tonight while I clean up after my mess
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Happy to help.  I'm sorta working on the same thing, so thought we could use those bits from the factory shop manual in an easy-to-find place.

Reply | Threaded
|

James81
Got any tips for lower ball joints? I got factory service info for them but they want me to use a ball joint press and I would rather just use my BFH
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I go to the parts store and rent their ball-joint press.  Works great.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona