New garage clock!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New garage clock!

Dorsai
I'm pretty stoked by my new garage clock, so I thought I'd share.

This was given to me by my father-in-law recently, it's been in his garage for decades.  Unfortunately, due to health issues he's no longer able to spend time in the garage, so now it's mine.  It's a Telechron advertising clock, and based on both the design of the trucks on the face as well as the material of the back of the clock, it dates to WW II or slightly afterward.

It was keeping good time when I got it, but it was absolutely filthy (see 'decades', above) and needed a thorough cleaning inside and out.  The face of these clocks is painted glass, and on many of them the paint has been damaged by people putting in bulbs of too-high wattage - but on this one the bulbs burned out decades ago and were never replaced (I don't think my father-in-law even knew it was supposed to light up), so the paint is pristine.  I put some modern CFL bulbs in that give off very little heat, so now it's bright enough to serve as a night light in my garage.  I touched up some flaked paint on the hands, replaced the original cord that had dry-rotted and was a fire waiting to happen, and behold:

Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New garage clock!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!!!  That is WAY cool!  Congrat's!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Very nice!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
Those are some eye-popping prices on those eBay clocks!  I can't imagine the clock itself is worth that much, my understanding is that they made millions of these over the years.  Maybe the price is driven by what is being advertised on it?  I'd love to find production numbers on the various types of ad clocks they made, but I've never found any information of that kind.  I know this clock isn't unique, as you can search Google Images for "telechron cresci" and see at least two other examples.  But how many clocks would an obscure truck-body maker in NJ commission?  

Anyway, thanks for the links!  It's always fun tracking down the history of oddities like this.
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ebbsrig
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Man, I got to say that is a sweet clock.  There is something to be said for the nostalgia of items from our pasts.  There's a couple of things I would love to get from my grandpa's garage not so much to use, but just to remember.  I will add though, please don't take offense as none is intended, my darling wife will vouch for this, when I am in the garage time has no bearing.  After 30 years of marriage, my lovely wife knows there are only 2 things that will entice me to leave the garage, one is food, the other  is ..... well I don't know you fellas well enough to get in to that. :)
Eric B. Brewer (Ebbs for short)
Great Falls MT
1986 4x4 F150 300-6 AKA Superman -- Solid Honest and true
1983 4x4 F250 7.3 idi AKA The Zombie -- Will take any part from any truck anyway anywhere anyhow