classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New from Portland, OR 1984 F150 4x4 HO

QFW181
Howdy,

Originally from Central Texas. After a long stint in SoCal (Pasadena/Chatsworth) I have been in Portland Oregon for ~12 years.  I was in the motorcycle industry for ~20 years (service side, graduated from Motorcycle Mechanics Institute in Phoenix in 97) and I now help operate the control room at a Grain Elevator here in NoPo.

Forums have been problematic to me... largely because of the types of vehicles I have been involved with and types of people who flock to forums with those vehicles over the last 20 years.  This one is obviously quite different so here I am.  

I am finding the brutish simplicity of this large truck quite refreshing... but I am very unfamiliar with large brutish things like this so I am here to glean what I can from those who have that familiarity.  This HO 4180C carb is difficult to find info on, I am stoked to see reference of it cruising through these posts!  

I bought the truck last winter from a friend who had owned it since new.  He used it as a hunting rig and spec'd it accordingly... no carpet, no frills.  I think he parked it because it was such a gas guzzler TBH.  Sat for 12 years with 51k on the odo.  I bought it for $500 (good friend).  Rebuilt the carb (using like 2 or 3 kits to get the right stuff!), replaced the Rear tank, fuel pump, front brake calipers/rotors, master cylinder, not much else.  Found a set of turbines because I have always wanted a set on something and they were $100 at Tony's Ford Truck Parts here in Portland.  I have more into the BFG's than I do into the rest of the truck total.  Been driving it for a year.  The cruise control doesn't turn on at all, the front sending unit does't work and it doesn't like to idle when the ambient is below 50*F.  Holy shit does it shake it's ass when I hit a pothole!  Other than that, it's been bitchin'!  I have a new front tank/sending unit etc, just waiting for a nice day to install it, clean the carb and try to set the idle.  Any recco's on idle setting procedure are recommended as far as the order of operation.  Those damn hard to access EPA fuel screws just suck!
QW
Portland, OR
1984 F-150 Single Cab Styleside Longbed 4X4 HO 4BBL (4180C)
1981 Mercedes TN308 Cargo Van (Weirdo)
2017 Alta Redshift MX (electric)
2006 Christini Honda CRF250X (2WD)
2005 Ducati Multistrada (1000 w/1100 engine)
2008 Ducati 848 (racebike)
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (racebike)
1998 Ducati ST2 (~140k, needs rebuild)

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New from Portland, OR 1984 F150 4x4 HO

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  Glad you decided to join.  

While I'm not 100% sure why forums have been problematic for you, I can guess as well as sympathize.  We aren't adamant that everything has to be about Bullnose trucks.  (I know we've talked about motorcycles, but I don't remember and discussions of desmodromic valve systems.  )  And, we like each other, which keeps things on a friendly basis.

Anyway, you did get a good buy.  Wow!  Good truck and probably the sweet spot of engines - plenty of power with the fewest emissions.

As for the 4180C, you've seen this page: Fuel Systems/Carbs, Chokes, & EFI/4180C?  Notice the link to 1985-86 Fuel Systems Adjustments booklet.  And, click on the Ford's Service Manuals tab for more factory literature.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by QFW181
Welcome! Nice looking truck.

I had to do a lot of work to my Bullnose, and one item was the 4180 carb.. I ended up putting a new one on.

Also rejetted it for the elevation in Klamath Falls. What was really nice was all the linkage hooked right up. Very happy with it.

Here's what I got: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/classic_holley/parts/0-80457SA
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Welcome to the group! That is a great looking truck. I’m glad you are reviving it 🙂
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
  I know we've talked about motorcycles, but I don't remember and discussions of desmodromic valve systems.  )  And, we like each other, which keeps things on a friendly basis.
Ducks?

Welcome to the forum and that is a very nice looking truck!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Man that is an incredible looking truck! You have to submit more pictures of that thing. $500... I say a REAL good friend! Welcome to the Garagemahal!
Jamie Helmick
'85 Bronco 351W HO, C6, 4X4, Full rebuild @ 51k original miles (fire), Edelbrock air gap intake & 600 cfm carb. w/elec. choke. 4" RC lift w/35's. Check the Projects Page if you're interested.
Reply | Threaded
|

QFW181
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Excellent! No I hadn't seen that, thank you.  

Forums in the moto world have a tendency to attract blustery know-it-alls who suffer from the highest level of Dunning Kreuger Effect and rank beginner wet-behind-the-ears information gatherers that combine to make those of us in the middle of the continuum crazy.  

And yes Desmo... I was a Ducati Service rep for ~7 years, covered the NW USA from St Louis North and West.  The Desmo system is very satisfying on many levels, but it has its place as does conventional valve actuation.  For me, from a Mechanical Signature standpoint  it is just as much about the 90* V-twins, dry clutches and steel trellis frames.  Ducati, for good reasons, has gotten away from a lot of that and I don't enjoy the newest stuff as much because of it.  Also, the hideously complex engine/suspension/user interface management systems just don't butter my bread enough to want to deal with what happens when they fail. As one of the people approving and managing warranty failures, I saw my fair share.  Hence my list bikes not having much fancy shit other than FI.  I have a quick shifter on my 848 racebike and a pit lane speed limiter but that is about it!
Cheers!

QW
Portland, OR
1984 F-150 Single Cab Styleside Longbed 4X4 HO 4BBL (4180C)
1981 Mercedes TN308 Cargo Van (Weirdo)
2017 Alta Redshift MX (electric)
2006 Christini Honda CRF250X (2WD)
2005 Ducati Multistrada (1000 w/1100 engine)
2008 Ducati 848 (racebike)
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (racebike)
1998 Ducati ST2 (~140k, needs rebuild)

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I had to look it up:

In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people of low ability have illusory superiority and mistakenly assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is.

Man, I can relate to that.

Anyway, I was introduced to desmo valve trains in the 60's.  A friend at college had a Ducati (yes, David, a Duck), and I learned about the magic valve train that not only opens the valve but also closes it using the cam.  New to this Kansas boy.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI