classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Truck Manhattan, Kansas

mattmo
Hello from Kansas!

Just purchased a 1985 F250 flatbed. 351w with a Warner T18. Found the truck for sale and couldn't resist. Very excited to start on my first project truck.

To do list:
-Replace Throttle Cable
-Engine Oil Change
-Air Filter check/change
-Transmission Service
-Differential Oil change
-Coolant check/change
-Brake fluid check/change
-Spark plugs + plug wires
-Belts check
-Shocks/Leaf check/replace
-Brake check
-Battery cables check
-Ujoints check
-New wheels
-New tires
-Rust cleanup
Questions:
-What is the stock hub size of the Dana 44 TTB HD? What considerations do I need to make when purchasing new wheels?
-Will 33" tires fit without any sort of lift? What width wheel/tire is appropriate?

1985 F-250 4x4
128k miles
351w
Warner T18
Dana 61 Rear 3.54
Dana 44 TTB HD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Truck Manhattan, Kansas

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Matt - Welcome!  Good to meet you.  Glad you joined.  

Don't miss the request to add a signature that tells us about your truck.  It helps us give you the right answers if we know what it is.

Manhattan, huh?  Spent a couple of years there back in the late 60's.  Used to go up on Blue Hill, if I remember correctly.  

Speaking of Manhattan, we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and I'd be happy to add you with your permission.

As for the truck, that sure looks nice.    But I'm not sure what you mean by "hub size".  Are you asking for the size where the hub locks go in?  Or where the hub go through the wheel?  Or?

And 33" tires work nicely on Big Blue.  In fact, I'm running LT285/75-R16's with no lift.  (I'm actually doing a SAS/RSK installation, which will lift it some, but the tires worked nicely prior to that.)
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by mattmo
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

mattmo
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hi Gary,

Thank you for the reply. Signature updated!

Please do add me to the map.

I'm actually new in Manhattan, maybe Blue Hill would be a good spot for me to take the wife

When I say hub size I'm referring to the diameter of the hub (this may not be the correct term). When buying new wheels I assume the diameter of the inside of the wheel must match the hub. Is that diameter the same for the front and rear?

Thanks for the feedback on the tires! Do you know what width rim I would have to go with to accommodate LT285/75?

Thank you,
1985 F-250 4x4
128k miles
351w
Warner T18
Dana 61 Rear 3.54
Dana 44 TTB HD
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, I sit corrected.  It is Bluemont Hill, not Blue Hill.  It is now a "scenic overlook", and you are there.  

As for the hub opening on the wheels, I measure 4 7/8" on the spare to Big Blue.  And it would be the same front and rear.

But, the size of the hub itself depend on which one you have.  You say D44, and mine measures 3.875" on the hub.  But the same wheels fit the D50 and the D60, and the D60 hub I'm installing on Big Blue measures 4.865".

Concerning wheel width, the thing I recommend is going to TireRack.com and comparing the exact tires you are considering.  Here's a link that might work to the 285/75R16's.  And if you then select 3 or 4 of them and hit Compare you'll see the info on the tires side by side.  Then if you Click Detailed Specifications you see the nitty gritty details.  And on the tires I have the wheels should be 7.5 - 9" wide.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by mattmo
Welcome to the forum!  

These are lug centric wheels and do not rely on the hub at all.
The pattern is 8 on 6 1/2"

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.