classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Radiator

mattmo
Hello!

I recently noticed a small leak coming from my radiator. I went ahead and ordered a new one and removed the old. I plan to install the radiator today and wanted to see if I have the process down right. From my research the steps should be:

1. Install new radiator
2. Fill radiator with distilled water and drain while motor is running
3. Fill radiator with coolant and run motor till it comes to normal temp.
4. After motor cools fill radiator again

Am I on the right track? Is there any sort of burping process I need to also go through?

Side question, what's the best type of coolant to use? Opinions seemed to be mixed.

Thank you,
1985 F-250 4x4
128k miles
351w
Warner T18
Dana 61 Rear 3.54
Dana 44 TTB HD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Radiator

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I’ve never drained a cooling system while the engine was running, and don’t see a need to do that. But, I can see that doing so would tend to push out more of the old coolant. However, do NOT pull the cap when the engine is warm, much less hot, as the pressure is likely to spew hot coolant everywhere.

Concerning burping, I find that topping up the system as the engine warms up helps. But there’s a point where the expansion due to warming is quickly going to cause an overflow, so I put the cap on then and let the system build up pressure. Then I turn the engine off and let it cool, during which it will suck coolant in from the recovery reservoir- so make sure that is about 1/2 full. After doing that a couple of times the system should be full.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I forgot the coolant question. A name brand antifreeze is what I use, and I tend to buy the premixed stuff rather than worry about mixing it. But if you are going to flush with distilled water, which is a good idea, you’ll have some left in the system which will dilute the 50/50 mix a bit. However, unless you live where it gets REALLY cold that probably won’t be a problem.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I bought a radiator in oct 2018.. i really need to install it, old one leaks bad now.

Nice tip on the overflow reservoir burping!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good luck!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Ok, so I have a question.

Why is it that I can't keep coolant in my reservoir?
I use 50/50, fill the radiator, half fill the reservoir, keep on top of it for a couple of days.
My temp gauge reads between the 'O & R' of normal.
The radiator stays filled above above the core, and plugs show no sign of water in any cylinder.
I have a tested good cap.
It won't loose coolant between changes (unless something like the little rubber cap on the neck splits)
The reservoir doesn't seem cracked, nor is there coolant on the fender liner.

It's odd, and I've never figured it out.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

mattmo
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks for the tip Gary, this worked like a charm!
New Radiator installed, happy truck.
1985 F-250 4x4
128k miles
351w
Warner T18
Dana 61 Rear 3.54
Dana 44 TTB HD
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Matt - Glad it worked.  Just watch the recovery bottle for a few days as it take several hot/cold cycles to finally get all the air out.

Jim - Any chance it is evaporation?  You are pushing hot coolant into it as the system heats up and everything expands.  How long does it take before you notice the level going down?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Can glycol evaporate like that?

After the first couple of days, when it stabilizes I forget about it.

Weeks later -when I might check the oil- I notice the catch tank is empty.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glycol might not evaporate, but the other 50% of the mix can.  How hot does your engine get?  You seem to work it pretty hard, so maybe it is getting up over 212 and the water in the solution that gets pushed into the expansion chamber is boiling off?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
IR thermometer on the water neck says 192-196 (on a piece of masking tape)

Gauge never reads higher than R.

I don't really think it gets too hot.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Guess it is just one of those mysteries of life.  

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I have the same question on my Suburban. Don’t know where it goes, other than evaporation like Gary said.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona