108 messages Options
1234 ... 6
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Page: Interchange

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Today I added a page called Interchange.  It was inspired by a post by Angelo Voltura on FaceBook explaining what window glass fits our trucks.

But there's LOTS of space on that page for more interchange information, so let's use this thread to manage that page.  Please add your knowledge here.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Page: Interchange

FuzzFace2
Gary, On the 2nd page of my post on the fan shroud I have what I used for parts, what had to be done to make them fit and it also had the AC condenser and what was needed to fit the only part we can get for our truck over the counter.
Something like that is what you are looking for?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis

Gary Lewis wrote
...But there's LOTS of space on that page for more interchange information, so let's use this thread to manage that page.  Please add your knowledge here.
Without any definition of scope, this could get messy, fast...  It might be shorter to list things that CAN'T be swapped onto these trucks, but even that would be Library-of-Congress-size.

I'd like to contribute, but without some limitations (or at least guidelines) on what you're looking for, I wouldn't know where to start.  Just the things I've actually done to mine would be boringly-long; that says nothing of all the things I've done to others, or that I haven't YET done even though I know they can be done.

- Modern EFI?  Lots of incidental mods, and many choices during that process.
- Putting captain's chairs into a bench truck?  Some people say floor mods are required, though I disagree.
- Factory rear disks? Welding is required, as are rims/tires and e-brake cable mods.
- Ammeter to voltmeter?
- What about other brands - Dodge 16" rims?
Or is your intent to list only Ford parts that fit, or that can be modified to fit?  What level of modification?  What level of skill/tools/equipment/cost?

I've thought about doing this for several years, but IDK enough about web page design to make it happen.  I always end up imagining that it would have to begin with a "vehicle selection" menu (to choose YOUR truck) that would then go to a VERY complicated rotatable/zoomable/sectionable 3D model of the truck that a user could fly through to find the part/system of interest, and then explore a list of potential mods/replacements.  The closest I've come to actually doing it is my SuperMotors registries - if you browse a photo album, and read the caption of a pic that relates to your project, many contain links to more pics &/or replacement PNs (usually linked to Amazon, just because the URLs are stable) &/or links to albums showing how to swap/modify the part/system.  But it's not as inviting as the 3D idea (which will probably never happen).  You have to really want to read & dig through the captions to find out IF your idea is mentioned in them.

As to your first entry...
This shows the difference:

But by simply removing this spacer from inside the back of the divider bar:

...the older glass WILL work with the newer vent window (with a little extra slop).

Also; the way you define the year range could confuse some people.  The '97 F150 isn't the same as the '96 F150 or the '97 F350.  So the parts interchange is really only up to '96, but also includes '97 trucks heavier than 8500 lbs GVWR (old body).  The way I write it is "...-96 (& '97 >8500GVWR)" so there's no confusion with the later body style.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, I had a response all typed in and lost it.  Don't ask how as I don't know.  Anyway, here goes again.

You asked good questions/had good points.  And the definition or scope wasn't stated, at least not clearly.  So, here's what I'm thinking:

Scope: Ford parts that will directly fit w/o modification.  However, that does not exclude multiple changes, like the later window/vent window combination, which collectively bolt in.

So, with that scope let's work through your examples, with my answers in bold, and see what we have:

Modern EFI?  Lots of incidental mods, and many choices during that process.  If there is a true bolt-on/plug-in Ford-supplied EFI system then it would fit.  However, I can't imagine that there is.

Putting captain's chairs into a bench truck?  Some people say floor mods are required, though I disagree.  Floor mod's would disqualify it.  But, you can bolt in the later platform/base w/o modification. And, most floor mods are unsafe.

Factory rear disks? Welding is required, as are rims/tires and e-brake cable mods. Mod's, and especially welding, would disqualify it.  But changing tires/wheels wouldn't.

Ammeter to voltmeter? You and I both know this ain't happening w/o wiring mods.  But, I wish that wasn't the case.

What about other brands - Dodge 16" rims?   Nope, Ford only.

So, will that scope/definition work?  Is it too restrictive?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Gary Lewis wrote
So, will that scope/definition work?  Is it too restrictive?
If that's what you want it restricted to, it's fine.  I just need some boundaries.
Gary Lewis wrote
If there is a true bolt-on/plug-in Ford-supplied EFI system then it would fit.  However, I can't imagine that there is.
Depends on your definition of "bolt-on".  If you lift out the engine & wiring & fuel lines & tank(s) & exhaust, the newer stuff pretty much bolts in.  That's how I originally put EFI on my '83.  But wires WERE cut!   (Not as many as you might think, though.)
Gary Lewis wrote
And, most floor mods are unsafe.
So bolt-in Ford chairs only - gotcha.
Gary Lewis wrote
...welding, would disqualify it.  But changing tires/wheels wouldn't.
What about welding on the replacement part?  Disqualifier?  I'm just starting my rear disk project, by swapping the complete rear axle.  But I have to cut the disk axle's spring perches & shock mounts off to weld on the ones that fit our trucks.  Then it'll bolt in.  But I haven't nailed down the e-brake cables yet.
Gary Lewis wrote
...this ain't happening w/o wiring mods.
So no wiring changes at all?  Or just no cutting?  Adding a new wire/fuse/harness section - OK or not?  The 3G & voltmeter swaps CAN be done without cutting, but it's much easier to wire the voltmeter if the film circuit on the back of the cluster is cut instead of just folded out of the way or taped off.

But I think I'm getting the idea of what you're after...  I tend to think in terms of "improvements/upgrades/modernization", regardless of how invasive they might be.  I'll try to shift my focus back to "parts interchange"...  How are these?

- '80-96 (& '97 >8500GVWR) F-series/Bronco Inside W/S Trim: early upper clips are replaced by later screws (which self-drill into the hidden sheet metal) and '92-up is notched for RV mirror wiring; early metal upper door trim is integrated into later plastic A-pillar trim (also with later screws).
- '80-96 (& '97 >8500GVWR) F-series/Bronco Front Door Shell: '80-82 lack a hole for the sill button; '92-up have an extra hole for the mirror support (hidden by all RPO mirrors); '94-up have a larger hole for the wiring boot; '95-up have a side-impact beam (indicated by an extra subtle body line near the bottom); '96-up have a larger lock cylinder hole (requiring the later cylinder, or a plastic spacer).
- '84-91 F-series/Bronco Brake/Clutch Pedal Box Assembly: hydraulic linkage does not fit '80-83 without drilling the firewall, changing the cruise cancel switch connector, and plugging the pushrod hole.
- '85-95 F-series/Bronco MAP Sensor: interchangeable among all EFI truck engines (w/o MAF, '94-95 RPO).
- '85-95 F-series/Bronco ACT Sensor: interchangeable among all EFI truck engines (w/o MAF, '94-95 RPO).
- '85-96 (& '97 >8500GVWR gasoline) F-series/Bronco ECT Sensor: interchangeable among all EFI truck engines.
- '80-96 (& '97 >8500GVWR) F-series/Bronco Temperature Sender (Gauge): interchangeable from virtually all Ford/L/M products of the era.
- '80-96 (& '97 >8500GVWR) F-series/Bronco Taillight Assembly: '80-86 grooved w/small reverse lens; '87-91 smooth with wraparound reverse lens; '92-96 smooth w/small reverse lens.
- '80-91 F-series/Bronco E-Brake Pedal Assembly (w/front cable section): fits all wheelbases.
- '80-91 F-series/Bronco E-Brake Tension Limiter/Equalizer: fits all wheelbases.
- '80-96 F150/Bronco E-Brake Cables (axle sections): all axles/wheelbases.
- '80-96 F150/Bronco Wheels, Hub Caps, Center Caps, & Lug Nuts: all RPO 1/2-ton wheels are 15" with 5-on-5.5" lug circle and cone-seat 1/2-20 lug nuts 13/16" drive.

I'm not 100% sure on the ACT & ECT connector shapes, though the sensors themselves screw in.  And I could be wrong about the F250-350 tension limiter being interchangeable.  But I think the others are correct.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Well, we know that the beds all swap with ease...

If installing a 1987-1996 bed on a Bullnose is not the most common later model part swap, I'll eat a Duraspark ignition module. (Not all at once, but in little bites)... 
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steve83
Steve - Let's go with the "no cutting/welding" approach initially.  I think there are plenty of things we can capture with that guideline to keep us busy for a while, and then we can see if we need to mod the guideline.

As for EFI being "bolt-on", and you know this better than I since you've done it and I'm only planning it, the wiring scheme changed significantly enough between the Bullnose era and the later trucks that the number of changes required to integrate the two is mind-boggling.  Going from fusible links hanging off the solenoid to individual fuses in a neat box on the left fender is causing me to ponder my sanity.  

On the disc brake idea, how about if we have another category called maybe "Upgrades" or "Modifications" or somesuch?  And on the 3G/voltmeter issue, I think the how-to on the 3G instructions could be improved.  As you've pointed out, if the alternator's output is taken off the shunt there's no reason to remove the shunt.  And, then there's no need to cut the wires to the ammeter, although it'll only register discharge and not charge.  But in both of these cases we'll need a write-up on how to make it happen.  So we can't just put up a list that says "you can swap this part in place of that part", which is what I'd intended for the Interchange page.

Anyway, your list of suggestions is a good one.  But I need to get my head around each of them and write them up in the format I'm envisioning, plus come back and ask questions so I understand.  Thanks!

Cory - Yes, the later model bed will swap, and it is fairly common - albeit less than comely.  (I remember watching the made-for-TV movie Waco and pointing out to my wife a Bullnose with a Bricknose bed.  )  And, since Steve has pointed out that the later tail light lenses will sway then we need to include the beds themselves.

All - Keep those ideas coming in!  To some extent I need to see how far-ranging the interchange list is going to be in order to know how to organize this page.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Bed swap, the 1985/86 DRW bed is different from the 1980-1984 bed due to the axle change, Try to find a good 1985/86 DRW bed and fenders. Maybe in the SW you could find a bed, but I wouldn't bet on the fenders being any good after 30+ years in the sun.

The 1987/97 DRW bed is a drop on, with a couple of issues. Tailgate is different, tail light openings are a slightly different shape. Wiring is completely different connectors Ford was moving from open wedgelock and the molded "pull apart" connectors to smaller weatherproof connectors. Since the DRW trucks have marker lights in the fenders and frequently a set of three under the tailgate (depends on local laws where the truck was sold) the bed harness for the tail lights and marker lights changed. The older ones will fit, but even the marker light pigtails are different.

The bed body line differences are not as noticeable on a DRW truck as very little of the actual side panel is visible. Fenders will swap between the two beds so if you have good fenders, they can be reused.

For anyone planning on a bed swap on a styleside of any configuration, I highly recommend getting the proper end bolts from Ford, they have a strange flattened center that goes into a square tube through the bed floor and cross beams, the center bolts are a regular carriage bolt. Maybe by now the aftermarket suppliers have the end bolts, when I did Darth's bed I ordered a set that was supposedly correct, wrong! The six bolts were all carriage bolts and the end ones were a sloppy loose fit in the holes and with the prevailing torque nuts, impossible to tighten.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Gary Lewis wrote
...the number of changes required to integrate the two is mind-boggling.
That's what everyone THINKS, but it's really not that bad if you make careful choices about WHERE to make the transition from old to new wire.
Gary Lewis wrote
Going from fusible links hanging off the solenoid to individual fuses in a neat box on the left fender is causing me to ponder my sanity.
That discussion is probably best left to another thread (do you have a project/build thread for it?), but suffice it to say: the more new wiring you use, the easier the job becomes.
Gary Lewis wrote
..."you can swap this part in place of that part", which is what I'd intended for the Interchange page.
It took a while for that to sink in, but I'm with you now.
Gary Lewis wrote
Yes, the later model bed will swap, and it is fairly common - albeit less than comely.
I'd make sure to mention the change in body lines at the wheel arches in '87, and the change to the t/g latches/supports/hinges in '90.  Didn't the bed bolts also change at some point, which changed their holes in the bed's structure?  Common square-boss carriage bolts at first, becoming oval-boss by the mid 90s?

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Steve, I don't know exactly when the bed bolt change was, but when I put the 1996 bed on Darth the 4 end bolts were the oval shank and had larger heads than the center square-boss carriage bolts. Thread was the same on all 6 bolts though.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
On the EFI, six cylinder and Windsor V8s it would be fairly easy, 1985.5 and 1986 trucks have an oval hole in the firewall for the EFI harness to pass through since the early system was essentially designed as a "drop-on" and the front harness was made in such a way that the DS-II or EFI for the 5.0L could be connected and either would get the proper ignition system voltage. The ground connection on these was a problem, it sits right next to the battery and is actually attached to the clamp bolt on the negative post.

Air filter sits on top of the left valve cover. To use a later computer several circuits need to be changed and, if there is no speed control a speed sensor is needed. Either a 5.0L or 5.8L could be easily set up this way. Older trucks equipped with the EEC-III system, the EEC is under the driver's seat and that location could be used.

4.9L and 7.5L, 4.9L computer could be installed where the 1985.5/1986 5.0L was or if the truck had the FBC, it may already have an EEC there. 7.5L, you probably could use the 5.0L location and modify a 5.0L EFI harness. The injectors on the 7.5L are angled in and the harness runs inside and above rather than in channels on the valve covers as the 5.0L and 5.8L do. Air filters, since Ford relocated the air filter for all EFI engines starting in 1987 and the first 4.9L EFI motors came out that year, this would necessitate adapting the later air filter mount to the driver's side fender, however, the coolant tank and windshield washer reservoir are in the way. 7.5L same problem. Good thing, since the 5.0L EFI air inlet was on the left side of the radiator, the air duct for the later air filter will slide right in.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I had a meeting at church and then a haircut, and now I'm waaaaay behind.  Let me try to catch up quickly:

EFI: I think swapping factory EFI for a carb on these trucks is so complex that it can't be truly considered as an "interchange".  Yes, it might be technically possible to put an EEC-IV EFI system on a 1985.5/86 truck, but to me it doesn't fit the scope of this page.

So, unless I'm wrong, let's hold the discussion of where to do the electrical connecting for another thread or threads.  I do have a build thread for both trucks, but I'm not actively working on either at the moment so let's wait to have that discussion as well.

Beds: Yes, the body line and wheel well opening difference need to be pointed out.  And, the bed bolt difference needs to be highlighted as it could be a show-stopper.  By the way, the # of bolts went from 8 in 1980-84 to 6 for 1985 and on.  That's shown here: Suspension & Steering/Body Mounts & Hardware, and that includes a description of the bolts as well as part numbers.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve - Let me re-write your statements in the format I'm trying to use:

Inside Windshield Trim: 1987-96 (& '97 >8500GVWR) F-series/Bronco Inside W/S Trim will fit.  The Bullnose trucks used upper clips, and those are replaced by screws in the later trim, which self-drill into the hidden sheet metal.  In addition, the '92-up is notched for RV mirror wiring

I don't know what to do with "early metal upper door trim is integrated into later plastic A-pillar trim (also with later screws)".  Surely the later A-pillar trim doesn't work on a Bullnose given the differences in dashes?

Front Door Shell: 1980-82 doors lack a hole for the sill button (what is a "sill button"); '92-up have an extra hole for the mirror support (hidden by all RPO mirrors); '94-up have a larger hole for the wiring boot; '95-up have a side-impact beam (indicated by an extra subtle body line near the bottom); '96-up have a larger lock cylinder hole (requiring the later cylinder, or a plastic spacer).  But all of the doors will fit on a Bullnose.

Brake/Clutch Pedal Box Assembly: Automatic brake pedal assemblies interchange between 1980-86.  1983-86 hydraulic clutch linkage does not fit '80-83 without drilling the firewall, changing the cruise cancel switch connector, and plugging the pushrod hole.  1987 and up pedal assembly does not fit Bullnose trucks.

MAP Sensor: Interchangeable among all EFI truck engines 1985-95 F-series/Bronco w/o MAF ('94-96 RPO)

ACT Sensor: Interchangeable among all EFI truck engines 1985-95 F-series/Bronco w/o MAF ('94-95 RPO).

ECT Sensor: Interchangeable among all EFI truck engines 1985-96 (& '97 >8500GVWR gasoline) F-series/Bronco.

Temperature Sender (Gauge): Interchangeable from virtually all Ford/L/M products of the era, 1980-96 (& '97 >8500GVWR) F-series/Bronco .

Taillight Assembly: Taillight lenses interchange between all '80-96 (& '97 >8500GVWR) F-series/Broncos.  However, '80-86 is grooved w/small reverse lens; '87-91 is smooth with wraparound reverse lens; & '92-96 smooth w/small reverse lens.

E-Brake Pedal Assembly (w/front cable section): Fits all wheelbases for '80-91 F-series/Bronco.

E-Brake Tension Limiter/Equalizer: fits all wheelbases for '80-91 F-series/Bronco.

E-Brake Cables (axle sections): fits all axles/wheelbases '80-96 F150/Bronco.

Wheels, Hub Caps, Center Caps, & Lug Nuts: all RPO 1/2-ton wheels are 15" with 5-on-5.5" lug circle and cone-seat 1/2-20 lug nuts 13/16" drive from '80 through '96 F150/Bronco.

Does that capture what you were saying?

Also, you said:

I'm not 100% sure on the ACT & ECT connector shapes, though the sensors themselves screw in.  And I could be wrong about the F250-350 tension limiter being interchangeable.  But I think the others are correct.

So should we hold off on adding those items to the page while going forward with the others?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
And a couple of more that I thought of, but need help with:

Sun Visors: Interchange from 1980 through 1996 9& '97 >8500GVWR) F-series/Bronco.  However, 19XX and on have a holder on the inside end that capture the end of the rod to prevent the visor from drooping, and the holder requires drilling a hole for a pin and another for the screw.

So, the fact that a screw hole has to be drilled means this isn't an "interchange"?  Probably so.  And I made the rules.  But, perhaps the rules should be changed?  

And, another:

Coolant Recovery Reservoir: The 1980-84 reservoirs can be replaced by the '85-86 reservoir if you get the reservoir, the hose, and the bracket that bolts to the fender, as explained here. But the 1987 on reservoirs do not bolt in.

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Not to resurrect that topic, but...
85lebaront2 wrote
On the EFI, six cylinder and Windsor V8s it would be fairly easy...
I was able to solve all the issues you mentioned when I put the '95 4.9L into my '83 Bronco without much time, cost, or effort.
Gary Lewis wrote
So should we hold off on adding those items to the page while going forward with the others?
That's your decision  - I'm just throwing out some ideas for you to put into that collection; but what actually goes in is up to you.
Gary Lewis wrote
Sun Visors:
'87 was the first year for the support hook.  Visors up to '96/7 can be made to fit older trucks, but on SOME bullnoses (IDK exactly which, but certainly the '82 Bronco tub I used for a few decades), there's a protruding piece of sheet metal inside the visor mount (pivot) hole that interferes with the spring & wiring for the '94-up RPO dual visors.  To fit them, that metal must be cut or bent out of the way.  I didn't want to distort the roof, so I cut it with a hole saw.  It was nasty because it's a lip, so the saw kept grabbing & ripping the metal.

Inside Windshield Trim: ...the '92-up UPPER TRIM PIECE is notched for RV mirror wiring...
Gary Lewis wrote
Surely the later A-pillar trim doesn't work on a Bullnose given the differences in dashes?
It's been several years (OK, a couple of decades) since I did that swap, but IIRC, I just stuck some '87-91 A-pillar covers in when I got tired of fighting those clips.  I used an '87-91 upper W/S trim for a while (3 screws, no RV mirror notch), but later I switched to '92-96 (4 screws, notched).  I don't think '92-96/7 A-pillar covers fit older trucks/dashes, but I'll try to remember to check next time I'm rummaging thru the junkpile.

As I was looking at that pic to check the caption for notes about the A-pillar, I noticed another interchange (and then thought of some more, and got carried away, but I'll let you figure out the formatting):

'87-91 passenger dash registers fit all positions of '80-86 dashes.  They're cosmetically different (2 spots of white paint, some knurling, and more slats) and molded slightly stronger so they don't flop around as easily - they tend to stay put where you aim them.

'87-91 lower A-pillar trim (with matching hood pull & cable) fits '80-86 trucks.

Most '80-96/7 seat belts interchange if they mount in the same places and have the same covers; except '87-91 front shoulder belts with door jamb button do not fit trucks without that button.  Colors vary slightly by year range.

The '86 molded plastic glove box (with A/C) is a nice replacement for the '80-85 cardboard version.  I'm not sure about the non-A/C glove boxes.

Bullnose-style glove box latches can be found in many older Ford/L/M vehicles in various colors (instead of just black) with & w/o chrome & lock cylinders.

Most F/L/M pre-'92 steering wheels interchange, as do their horn pads regardless of trim (black, chrome, woodgrain...).  Of course cruise buttons limit interchangeability.  But a pre-'92 tilt/cruise steering column WITH all the cruise wiring, control module, vacuum lines, servo w/throttle cable, & VSS w/speedo cable will interchange with a pre-'92 non-tilt/cruise column.  No wire cutting.

'80-86 tachometer interchanges with '80-86 tach blanking plate.  Most non-tach clusters have a tach-ready film circuit on the back, and most dash harnesses are tach-ready.  But it's easy to swap the whole cluster &/or add 1 wire for the tach feed.

'80-96/7 window motors are interchangeable, despite minor design changes (resulting in MUCH more reliability & speed from the later/smaller motors).  Motors from several other Ford/L/M products of the era also fit (some requiring connector change), but I don't have those specifics.  I just grab them when I notice them in JYs.

'80-96/7 (& other F/L/M vehicles/years/models) window motor gear "bushings" can be replaced with common 1/4" nuts.

Later (?-'96/7) hi-lo mount breakaway "bubble-back" door mirrors are direct replacements for early square-body breakaways.  Avoid aftermarket knockoffs which wobble at speed (identified by the hex bolt holding the mirror head to the arm, instead of the factory countersunk Torx bolt; and the lack of a black plastic lip around the mirror head).

'80-96/7 door strike bolts interchange, but the later (possibly '89-96/7) bolt's shield reduces the door's tendency to jam in a collision.

'80-96/7 courtesy light switches interchange (EXCEPT some '92-3).  The later design uses enclosed contacts, but the 3-pin connector & mount are the same.

'80-96/7 speakers interchange, as well as from other F/L/M vehicles (which often have upgraded name-brand speakers).

'80-96/7 F-series/Bronco C2 PS pump & steering box w/pitman arm are interchangeable; pulleys, brackets, & hoses may NOT be, depending on belt type, engine size, year, 2/4WD...

'80-96 F150/Bronco spring towers are interchangeable regardless of shock configuration; to add quad front shocks (4WD only), brackets must also be added to the axle beams.  (Replacement of factory rivets with bolts is the normal service procedure for damaged spring towers & other frame components, so not a "mod".)

'80-96 D44IFS assemblies (w/brakes) will fit bullnoses, though their parts are NOT necessarily interchangeable across years/models/options.  '93-96 Broncos have front ABS sensors which can be abandoned in-place to put that axle under any other truck in this range.

'83-96 Ford 8.8" rear axles will fit bullnoses, but later (maybe '90-up) have a companion-flange instead of a yoke.  The mating flange is easy to add to the last U-joint on an older driveshaft without mods.

I'm not sure of the oldest ?-'86 Ford 9" rear axle that will fit without mods, but it's a weaker design and can be replaced by the 8.8" (which is why Ford did that).  The '93-95 Lightning F150 8.8" center casting has cooling fins.

'83-86 8.8" axleshafts have a small pilot (lugcentric wheels); '87-up are direct replacements with a larger pilot (same size as the 4WD front hub snouts), and make the rear wheels hubcentric.

All 8.8" covers are interchangeable (including IRS cast Aluminum with or without those mounting bosses).

Most '80-96/7 F-series under-frame spare tire carrier parts are interchangeable, though the assemblies may have minor differences.

Most '80-96/7 rear bumpers are interchangeable, though Bronco mounting brackets are different from Fs'.

'80-96/7 wiper arms are interchangeable; '94-up are the improved J-hook style.

'80-96/7 (& many other F/L/M) brushed stainless antenna mast is identical.  Some other vehicles have factory black &/or sleeved mast which is a direct replacement.

'80-96/7 w/s mouldings (outside) are identical; '94-up are usually factory black.

The '82-86 bucking Bronco chrome (only) fender badge is identical to the Bronco II's, which was also available in factory black.

'80-96 Bronco swingaway spare tire carriers (w/body mounts) fit bullnose Broncos (but bullnose mounts don't fit later Broncos).  Both later designs are stronger & quieter, but eliminate the padlock in favor of a keyed lug nut.  The last has a superior latch (requiring the mating strike).

'80-96 Bronco inside spare tire carriers are identical.

'78-96 Bronco rear seat mounting hardware is identical. '78-91 seats are identical (except upholstery); '92-96 only differ in seat belt mounting locations (& upholstery colors).

'78-82 Bronco tailgate shells (w/latches) are interchangeable; '83-96 Bronco t/g shells/latches; '80-96 Bronco t/g glass; '78-96 Bronco t/g guts (most of the other parts, except wiring which has minor differences).

These may not make the cut...
The BW1356 manual-shift transfer case (w/shifter, boot, & bezel) will replace the NP208F if a new hole is cut in the floor for the shifter, and the old shifter hole is closed off.  The 1356 is MUCH stronger, but suffers from a weakness affecting its fluid pump, which is easy & free to upgrade while the t-case is out.

The '92-96/7 door lock motor (w/mounting bracket) interchanges only if the later connector is spliced onto the old wiring (no more difficult than changing a speaker or light bulb connector).

Some later plastic dome/map lamps (ONLY the shape shown in this pic) from many Ford/L/M vehicles are direct replacements for the bullnose RPO chrome dome/map lamps.

The '80-96/7 RPO dome/map harness (with or w/o cargo) is a direct replacement for the dome-only harness, and allows either a dome-only or a dome-map lamp.  Many other domes (of all years/makes) will fit if their connectors are spliced on (2 or 3 wires).

By adding 3 wires, a later electronic chime (large black 7-pin) or buzzer (smaller black 7-pin) can replace an older buzzer (green 4-pin).  By adding 2, the later white buzzer (smaller white 6-pin) will work.  Each additional wire adds functionality.

'87-early '88 A/C control panel (w/inside box) fits '80-86 A/C trucks, allowing independent control of functions.  I don't specifically remember any wiring or dash mods (from ~20 years ago), but some might be necessary.

Virtually any RV mirror (w/mounting button & associated wiring) will replace a bullnose RV mirror.  Those with compass, auto-dimming, & thermometer (w/external sensor) are significant & worthwhile upgrades.

Gary Lewis wrote
what is a "sill button"
The pin that sticks up through the door panel under the window (the window "sill") for the door lock.  Early trucks have a sliding lock on the door panel near the inside latch handle.
Gary Lewis wrote
But, perhaps the rules should be changed?
I said it before, but:
Steve83 wrote
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve - I'm going to assume by the lack of comment that you agree with my re-writing of your earlier interchange ideas.

As for the others, WOW!  I understand your can-of-worms analogy, but I think it is more like drinking from a fire hose.  With that and the TSB's I have more things to do than I can get done this year.  But, they are good things, so thanks.

I'll have to work on these things as and when I get the time.  I'm going to put getting things done in the shop as the priority now and computer work second.  But, since the grandtwins officially leave for Nicaragua mid-day today I'll need to be busy to take my mind off of it.  

So, thanks for all of the suggestions.  I'll work through those slowly and keep coming back here to update y'all.  But, don't stop suggesting upgrades in this thread.  That way we will know where they are.

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Gary Lewis wrote
I'm going to assume...
Correct.
Gary Lewis wrote
I understand your can-of-worms analogy, but I think it is more like drinking from a fire hose.
Actually, I was referring to the inevitable "scope-creep" of starting with such a broad topic, trying to define limits for it, and then changing your own limits to include more (like worms crawling out of the can).  I'm not saying anything needs to be done differently - just noticing that it's happening.

...and:
'80-91 (I think, but possibly '80-86) Body Mount Bolt Covers are stamped steel held down by 2 screws each.  '92-96/7 covers are rubber-encased nylon or all-rubber plugs that pop into place, but fit the older bodies, so they're interchangeable.

'87-91 HVAC Control Knobs (black w/white pointer) fit '80-91 control levers, so are replacements for the '80-86 all-black or chromed knobs.

'80-96/7 Headlight Switch (w/o knob or mounting bracket)

'80-91 Ignition Switch (and most other steering column parts; could be included in the previous steering column note)

'80-96/7 Hood Hinge & Support

'87-'91 Wiper Valance (pinholed) is an upgrade for the '80-86 (slotted)

'80-? Sill Button (trumpet-shaped) Cap can be replaced by the later anti-theft (pencil-shaped) cap.

Rare '80-?86 Bronco 3rd-Row Jump Seats are identical to '7?-8? Datsun/Nissan King Cab jump seats (even though not a Ford source, it's the same part).

BTW
I noticed I made a mistake.  '87-93 inside top w/s trim has 3 screws & no notch.  Only '94-96/7 has 4 screws & the notch.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Any one have access to Hollander parts interchange books?
They were life savers back in the day. When I had them think they only went up to about 1981 and I left about 1983.

I did a quick Google search of
"auto interchange parts lookup"
and came up with links but did not check them.

Then did an Ebay search for Hollander books and came up with this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/56th-Edition-Hollander-Foreign-Domestic-Auto-Truck-Interchange-Manual-Set/361901526296?hash=item5443030d18:g:3CUAAOSwdGFYnQ3l:rk:19:pf:0
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dave - I may have better than that, the Ford interchange books.  And, truthfully, I hadn't thought about using them for this.  But, from what I've seen of them they are "direct interchange", meaning that the part superseded an earlier part.  However, I think what we are doing with this page is to show what can be used in place of another.

For instance, I doubt the interchange book would say that later wing windows will work on a Bullnose.  But we know that if you also change out the main window they will work.

But, perhaps I need to peruse Ford's interchange manual a bit more.

Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
Gary Lewis wrote
All - Keep those ideas coming in!  To some extent I need to see how far-ranging the interchange list is going to be in order to know how to organize this page.
I see a spreadsheet in the near future.
1234 ... 6