New Page: Interchange

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
108 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Page: Interchange

Frank Wyatt
I'll need to pick one of those up when I go to the JY. My truck is a factory non-ac truck, but when summer comes, it will help keep excess heat down as the humidity really gets me down any more.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
If you need dry air, run MAX A/C with the temperature on the warm side.
Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
My truck doesn't have A/C. It came that way from the factory and I don't have any plans on installing it. I just see this as a way of eliminating excess heat during the hotter months here in west TN with out disconnecting the heater core.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
The air that comes through the footwell vents comes across the hood, so it's going to be pretty warm - especially in summer.  A better way to get rid of cab heat would be the vent shades we discussed earlier.

They're easier to install, and they release the hottest (highest) air in the cab.
Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
Not a problem as I will have my windows rolled down all the way come summer. Along with the vent wings, floor vents, and my sliding rear window. I just want to prevent inadvertently introducing unneeded heated air into the cab come summer from my heater core. It has not been a problem so far, but my heater core has been by-passed for the past 9 or 10 years because it is busted, but I am planning to replace it come the first of the month.
dual gas tanks
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I added two documents to the Interchange/Brakes page today:

A 4-page document on front rotors only.  Yes, there is a part number for a "rotor and hub" and a part number for just a "hub".  So I set up tabs for Rotor & Hub and Hub Only.

An 8-page document on rear drums only.  Yep, there is a part number for drum & hub, and another part number for the hub only.  So I added tabs for them as well.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I added another document to the Interchange/Brakes page today.  It is on tabs Front Brakes and then Pads/Shoes.

This area is a bit confusing as it shows both "front" and "rear" on there, but the part number of 2001 appears to be front brakes.  And there's another set of pages that are for part number 2018, which appears to be the rear brakes, although I don't yet have it scanned.  

Is perhaps the reference to front and rear the front shoe and the rear shoe on the front brakes?  Do any of you know?

Also, I've included the whole set of pages from that catalog even though it starts in 1951.  But the first reference to Bullnose trucks is on Page 5 and the 1975 trucks.  So, I could delete the first 4 pages but they really don't hurt anything and might help someone.

Similarly the last Bullnose reference is on Page 14 so I could cut off the last 18 pages.  But, they don't hurt anything and you don't have to scroll past Page 14 if you aren't interested.

Thoughts?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Rear shoes are 2200.

I wouldn't remove any information, after you've gone to the trouble of uploading it.  Someone may need it eventually, so it could potentially attract more users.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
So the "front" and "rear" in the info I posted would apply to the front and rear shoes of the front brakes.  That's kinda what I thought, but even the illustrations don't really help on that.  Thanks.

As for the info, we are on the same page - leave it in.

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Gary Lewis wrote
So the "front" and "rear" in the info I posted would apply to the front and rear shoes of the front brakes.
IDK - what vehicles are you talking about?  AFAIK, F-series & Broncos haven't had front drums since before '78.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator

Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
I believe it refers to the front and rear shoe individually and not as a set for the front vs the rear. That's the only way it makes sense because from 1973 on they all had disc brakes on the front.
dual gas tanks
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I think you are correct.  I just found a table in the 1948-56 truck MPC that shows brake drum sizes.  As you can see, the front drum sizes seem to fit nicely with the measurements shown on the document I have on the Front Brakes/Pads & Shoes tab:

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I recently took a test to determine how I think (or if I do?), and I learned that I like to learn.  And, I've been learning lots lately.  For instance, I found that my PDF program (Foxit PhantomPDF) can run my scanner.  In fact, it can even run the document feeder!  On top of that, it can deskew and OCR as it reads pages in.  

So, as I type this it is finishing up scanning in the last of the "starter" pages, and in the last two days I've scanned in more than 300 pages - while doing other things.  And, with that I've gotten quite a start on all those "interchange" pages in the catalog.  Here's where we will be at the end of the day:

Brakes: Done!  There are 11 documents containing 259 pages covering front & rear brakes (rotors, drums, shoes, calipers), master cylinders, and boosters.  And they span the years from 1951 to 1998.

Steering: Done!  This has a document on power steering pumps and one on steering gear boxes, with a total of 70 pages.

Starters: Done! This is a 27 page doc.

Air Conditioning: This one isn't done, but it has the info on the compressor clutch in a 12-page document.  Still to come is a document on compressors and one on compressors with the clutch.

But, I've not scanned several sections as I don't think they'll be of much help.  However, I'd like your input on that regarding these sections: Engines, cylinder heads, rocker arms, crankshafts, water pumps, oil pumps, transmissions, turbochargers, carburetors, alternators, diesel injection pumps, and distributors.  I really don't see that they will be helpful as they really don't tell much.  For instance, the dizzy doc for 1980 says that an F100 w/a 302 must get its dizzy from another 1980 F100 w/a 302.  Similarly the carb section shows really small ranges for a source for the carb - because they have to meet emissions.

So I think we can give those a miss and move on to the A/C compressors and window lift motors and call this good.  But, I do want your thoughts.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Gary Lewis wrote
I recently took a test to determine how I think (or if I do?), and I learned that I like to learn.  And, I've been learning lots lately.  For instance, I found that my PDF program (Foxit PhantomPDF) can run my scanner.  In fact, it can even run the document feeder!  On top of that, it can deskew and OCR as it reads pages in.  
Uuuuhhhh...what?!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
What does it say about the diesel injection pumps? I'm just curious.

Regardless, you've got a lot of information up here, don 't feel too obligated to go publishing all of Bill's library.

I guess it's kinda amazing how computers and associated software can automate mundane tasks, huh?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by grumpin
grumpin wrote
Uuuuhhhh...what?!
Well, I could read lots into that.  Like, maybe I don't think.  Or, what is a Foxit?  More likely, what is "deskew" and "OCR"?

So, I'll assume the latter and 'splain.  I have a piece of software, Foxit, that I use to manage all of the documents we enjoy.  A couple of days ago I discovered that it will operate my scanner, which has a document feeder.  So I can load a document of up to probably 50 sheets of paper, hit GO, and go away while it works.

When it scans the pages in they are actually pictures of words, not words.  So I told it to "optically character recognize" (OCR) the pages, which creates words from the pictures of words.  That means you can actually search the document.

Also, "deskew" means it will straighten the page after it is scanned in.  And that's been a huge problem for me for years as the results I've gotten by hand-loading pages on the scanner's glass haven't been good.  Does it work?  ABSOLUTELY!  I've even loaded the pages backwards and it rotates them and straightens them.  

ctubutis wrote
What does it say about the diesel injection pumps? I'm just curious.

Regardless, you've got a lot of information up here, don 't feel too obligated to go publishing all of Bill's library.

I guess it's kinda amazing how computers and associated software can automate mundane tasks, huh?
I'll see what the injection pump info says.  Shucks, as easy as it is I may just scan it in.  But, I won't scan all of what Bill left me.  No way, Jose!  There are 3 cross-reference books that let me cross an ID/engineering number to a part number, or vice versa.  And they have thousands of pages.

Yes, things are getting easier.  

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Gary Lewis wrote
grumpin wrote
Uuuuhhhh...what?!
Well, I could read lots into that.  Like, maybe I don't think.  Or, what is a Foxit?  More likely, what is "deskew" and "OCR"?

So, I'll assume the latter and 'splain.  I have a piece of software, Foxit, that I use to manage all of the documents we enjoy.  A couple of days ago I discovered that it will operate my scanner, which has a document feeder.  So I can load a document of up to probably 50 sheets of paper, hit GO, and go away while it works.

When it scans the pages in they are actually pictures of words, not words.  So I told it to "optically character recognize" (OCR) the pages, which creates words from the pictures of words.  That means you can actually search the document.

Also, "deskew" means it will straighten the page after it is scanned in.  And that's been a huge problem for me for years as the results I've gotten by hand-loading pages on the scanner's glass haven't been good.  Does it work?  ABSOLUTELY!  I've even loaded the pages backwards and it rotates them and straightens them.  
Nope, you definitely think. You're talking a language I don't understand is all.

Very cool stuff you're doing. I appreciate and applaud your efforts!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
But, I do want your thoughts.
You're the only one there looking at it - if YOU don't think it's worth the effort, go with that.   If (after you've knocked out all the things HIGHER on your list of priorities) you feel some need to add them, that's fine, too.  But don't put a bunch of time/effort into sections that aren't beneficial.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, in the light of day I've discovered a few glitches.  Somehow Weebly gave the new pages for starters and brakes the same URL/address as previous pages.  And, I'd mis-typed the link to starters and it was point to air conditioning.  So I've renamed the pages and fixed the links - I hope.

Grumpin - Thanks.

Steve - Good advice.  We shall see what gets scanned today.