classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
108 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Page: Interchange

Steve83
Banned User
Those are aftermarket - dealer options, or DIY.  Not factory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Angelo Voltura
Must be a lot of dealers had them. I cant tell you how many hundreds of trucks I've seen with them.

I could have sworn I say them in a pamphlet at one time or another.
1978 F150 351W
1979 F150 "410M"
1979 F100 302
1979 F250 400
1987 F150 300
1990 F150 302
1991 F150 300
1995 F150 (1985 clip swapped) 300
1997 F250 351W
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, the crew cabs in 1986 could have power windows and locks on the front doors only. 1992 up the crew cabs could have 4 door power locks, starting in 1994 remote keyless entry was introduced, but without the external key pad. The trucks used the same RKE module as a Taurus and they have the provision for a key pad and had a code number sticker on the module.

Power windows, my AllData does not show 4 door power windows prior to 1995, but, like the PowerStroke, it could have been a mid year option. Since it requires a master switch in the driver's door it would not be an easy swap.

Doors, I have seen in a FB thread, that the later (1987 up) doors will fit the bullnose body, but bullnose doors will not fit the 1987 up body except the crew cabs and that is a maybe. The reason is the seat belt retractors, 1980-86 they are up at head level, 1987 up they are in the bottom of the cab right behind the doors.

Another point, on the bullnose crew cabs, all the seat belt mounting points for complete 6 passenger use are there, the rear outboard are plain lap belts only, but, the mounting points for rear outboard shoulder belts are there, because the rear cab wall of a crew cab is the same as the single cab. They are not threaded and the lower outboard holes have rubber plugs in them under the door sill plates. All it takes is a set of belts and the interior C pillar trim from a single cab, and you now have rear shoulder belts for a child seat or just for improved safety.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Angelo - Check out Page 14 of our new, as of last night, 1982 Accessories Catalog.  And not the "base part number" of 18246.  Sure enough, they are in the catalog.

So, a refinement of the rules: If it is in the catalog it can be listed.  Does that work for y'all?

Bill - I'm gonna have to think about how to incorporate the seatbelt info for the rear of a crew cab.  But, it does fit in the definition.  Thanks.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Angelo Voltura
Angelo Voltura wrote
Must be a lot of dealers had them. I cant tell you how many hundreds of trucks I've seen with them.
Not really - you're seeing the DIY ones.  How many of those trucks' vent shades show a licensed "FORD" logo, or a Ford PN?
Angelo Voltura wrote
I could have sworn I say them in a pamphlet at one time or another.
You might have.  But that doesn't mean the ones you see on the road were bought from a pamphlet like that.  Most of them come from parts stores, Amazon, eBay, etc.  That's where I get them when I can't find them in the JYs.

85lebaront2 wrote
Since it requires a master switch in the driver's door it would not be an easy swap.
It's harder than that - the driver's door panel is molded differently to accomodate the MUCH-larger 5-switch panel.  So the door panel & wiring have to be changed, and those parts are NOT available new anywhere.
85lebaront2 wrote
They are not threaded and the lower outboard holes have rubber plugs in them under the door sill plates.
That's how all body fasteners are done from the factory.  The unused ones are plugged, but none of them are pre-threaded.  The fastener threads the body nut the first time it's installed.
85lebaront2 wrote
...the interior C pillar trim from a single cab...
A single cab doesn't have a C-pillar; only A & B pillars.
Reply | Threaded
|

Angelo Voltura
Steve, the junkyards here in NY almost every truck has them installed. The last time I was at my local yard, of the 9 trucks
 counted there, 7 of them had them installed.
1978 F150 351W
1979 F150 "410M"
1979 F100 302
1979 F250 400
1987 F150 300
1990 F150 302
1991 F150 300
1997 F250 351W
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
I don't doubt you in the slightest.  They're very common here, too.  But when these trucks were new, and I browsed the occasional dealer's lot, or looked around on the roads, there were NONE to be seen.

BTW
If they're that common up there - especially on '80-96 Fs/Broncos - you should collect them.  That model of VentShade is out-of-production, so their value is going up...
Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
I could use a set of vent shades.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Angelo Voltura
In reply to this post by Steve83
@Steve

That's good to know. I was unaware they were out of production. I'll start snagging as many pairs as I can get ahold of.
1978 F150 351W
1979 F150 "410M"
1979 F100 302
1979 F250 400
1987 F150 300
1990 F150 302
1991 F150 300
1997 F250 351W
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
They're selling for ~$44/pr on eBay now, so keep that in mind before you invest your money in used ones.

...and they're available on Amazon again, so AVS might have made another production run of them.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well sports fans, I've just made a discovery that may have taken the Interchange page in a slightly different direction.  I found that a book that Bill/Numberdummy gave me at the 2017 show has "interchange" info in it.  It is a Genuine Parts Distributor catalog, which is a third-party company, and the pics thereof are below.

But, suffice to say that it is MASSIVE!  However, it isn't the size but the contents that made me think about the "interchange" page.  The catalog shows the years that things like brake rotors, brake boosters, steering gear, fuel pumps, starters, etc interchange.

So, for grins I scanned in the first pages of two sections, the front and rear brakes.  So, go see what you think: Interchange/Brakes.  And, let me know what you think, please.

Cover:

Side view:

Closeup of the tabs:

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
That is terrific, I did note, in a quick look that the front rotors for the DRW are the same from 1979 up, and the service number is an F4TZ (1994) PN.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I think it is terrific, and one of the reasons is that it tells us in one place the answer to "what fits".  In your example of the front rotors for Darth, you can get part of the answer from the Driveline/Front Hubs & Rotors page.  And while you can tell that the hubs/rotors fit back to '76 because of the D6 code, you don't know how far forward it goes because my MPC only goes to '99.

But this book takes all of the mystery out.  It says "76-94", and gives you the latest part number to boot.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Angelo Voltura
Holy grail of information!
1978 F150 351W
1979 F150 "410M"
1979 F100 302
1979 F250 400
1987 F150 300
1990 F150 302
1991 F150 300
1997 F250 351W
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
So, for grins I scanned in the first pages...
How long will it take you to get the rest scanned?   I appreciate that it's a lot of work (I'm doing some, too), but I think you said you had someone else scan the Body Builders' Layout Book, and some of those scans are pretty rough.  So I hope you handle this yourself, even though I'm sure it'll take months.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Actually, I think this takes priority over the TSB's since these pages can be of benefit to a lot of people and the TSB's are probably of more limited use.  And, there are far, FAR fewer of these pages than TSB's.  So, I'll put the TSB's aside and get these done first.

The two tabs I did today probably took maybe at most an hour.  Each page scans in separately and I have to put them together in one doc and then OCR it.  But, that book also has car info as well as trucks up to around 2000, and I don't need to scan all of that.

It looks to me like there are ~35 tabs, so I'm gonna say it'll take 16ish hours to get all of the info we want scanned and on the website.  But I'm gonna be working on Dad's truck along the way, so instead of 2 days of 8 hours we are probably talking about it taking a week or two.

However, I'm taking the next week off to play with my granddaughter.  We will be with them from tomorrow until next Wednesday, so I'll not be working in the shop.  However, I'll check on y'all from time to time.  

Oh, I did have someone else scan the body builders book as it is a large format that I can't scan.  But these are 8 1/2 x 11 and I'll be able to handle them easily.

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Steve83
This thread is a great idea!  I would like to add a few things to the list.  Everything listed below is used on Lucille:

1980 - 1986 Ford VentShades:
The OEM Ford VentShades are slightly different and better than the aftermarket versions. The aftermarket versions fit under the main window only. The Ford versions fit under the main window and have an extra attachment on the end that secures it to the vent window frame.  This makes for a better, tighter fit.

1980 - 1986 Floor vents:
The floor vents used on Bullnoses without air conditioning can easily be swapped into trucks that came with air conditioning.  The air conditioned trucks used a block-off plate where the floor vents would otherwise be installed.  Simply remove the plastic kick panel and the metal block-off plates that are behind them.  Then install the floor vents and matching plastic kick panel.  It is a perfect fit without any modifications.  (This is the *last* generation of trucks to use floor vents.)

1989 - 1991 Bronco wheels:  
Some 4x4 Broncos with the 31" tire option had the familiar wagon wheels that were first introduced on the 1982 Bullnoses but in a wider 15x8 version.  (These were the *only* wheels offered by Ford from 1980 - 1996 that were 8" wide.) These fit perfectly on Bullnoses without any modifications.

1989 - 1996 Spare Tire Retainer:
The spare tire retainer used on Bullnoses had a metal handle and a plate to secure the spare tire to the spare tire holder.  That can be replaced with a one-piece plastic retainer found on the later trucks.  It is a direct fit without any modifications and it won't rust in place like the earlier version.

1994 - 1996 Rear Slider:
The 1994 - 1997 rear slider has an improved latch over the earlier versions.  This one has a metal latch that can also be used as a handle without breaking.  It will fit Bullnoses perfectly without any modifications.  The only difference is the weatherstrip is all black and one piece.  I retrofitted the earlier 2- piece weatherstrip with chrome locking strip (for cosmetic purposes) and it fit perfectly without any modifications.

1994 - 1997 Ford Ranger Heater Control Valve:
These were used to stop the flow of hot coolant into the heater core whenever "MAX A/C" was selected.  These are unique in that they have a vacuum-operated valve with 4 connections so that coolant flow will continue to loop back to the radiator.  These will fit into the heater hoses of Bullnose trucks perfectly.  

Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Rick - Good additions. Thanks. It’ll be a while, like a week, before I can spend any time updating the page, but I plan to add them.

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by LARIAT 85
LARIAT 85 wrote
1994 - 1997 Ford Ranger Heater Control Valve...
That application range is incomplete - it was also used on Explorer/Mountaineers in more years.

It's superior to 2-nipple valves because it does NOT block flow through the heater nipples on the engine (which may include important sensors); it only blocks off the heater core.
LARIAT 85 wrote
This is the *last* generation of trucks to use floor vents.
But the actual vent duct & blockoff plate in the cowl remained ONLY on the passenger side through '96/7.  The '87-96/7 EEC location caused the driver's vent to be deleted.  Among other things, the ESOF module (on trucks so equipped) covers the passenger blockoff plate, making retrofitting the right vent to these later trucks difficult.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Further source for heater control valves, Chrysler used a similar valve (possibly from the same source) on their FWD cars with A/C.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile