classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Page - Calculators Input Requested

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I was reading the discussion regarding the 3.08 gear set for the Sterling diff, and got to thinking about how cool it would be to have a calculator to see what would happen if you changed the gear ratio.  And, as things always do with me, creep happened.  

So now we have a calculator (Driveline/Calculators) that lets you see what your engine RPM would be at a given MPH, and what your RPM would be at a given MPH - in any gear with any transmission with any axle ratio with any tire size.  

But, I do need your input as to how it works and looks for/to you.  I can easily change the layout, at least now while I'm thinking about it.  And, if I have the wrong transmissions or gear ratios listed I can add or change that now as well.

Thanks in advance....    
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Page - Calculators Input Requested

grumpin
Seems OK to me. Easy enough to use. It's handy!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Looks good to me, I know what my gear ratios are and RPM @ 55 is just about dead on 1500. Using the 31" tyre rolling diameter I got 1503 rpm in 4th with the E4OD, 70 gives me 1912 rpm which also checks. Slippage for the C6 converter may be a tad high, Darth used to run around 2200 rpm at 55 mph without the 5th wheel.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, guys.  But don't stop the cards and letter now.  Please let me know what you think and if there are errors or upgrades.

Bill - The slippage variable is able to be changed by the user.  As for the E4OD, I don't have that one in.  Should I add it?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
Looks good to me. Matches my set-up almost right on.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
no slippage in L/U, lots in unlock, converter is designed for multiplication, clutch provides the efficiency for fuel economy. Might not hurt to add the ratios as it is an upgrade for the C6.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Whisler - Thanks.

Bill - I'll add the E4OD in the morn.  And, it won't have slippage in the calculation, just like the AOD doesn't.  Just the C pair.

I've assumed that the E4OD's converters have more slippage than those in previous transmissions since they do have the lock-up so they didn't need to keep the slippage down.  And, they could be designed to give more torque multiplication than previous converters because of that.

Kinda reminds me of the Super Turbine 300.  My folks bought a 1964 Buick Sword. (Remember Kookie? In one episode of The Strip he was asked what kind of car suchandso drove.  He said "A Sword".  Dad and I burst out laughing!!!!)  It had the 300 cube iron-block V8 with aluminum heads and the ST-300, which had the Switch-Pitch stator in the torque converter.

That rascal would fly, but you couldn't get fully "on" it until you were moving or it would switch the pitch into the high-torque position and it was slow off the line.  But at about half-way through the intersection you could nail it and you were GONE.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, not surprisingly I can’t use this on my phone... so I will have to comment once I can bring it up on a real computer...

This tool does lead to the next logical need... how to identify one’s transmission and what are the gear ratios for each model. This is a huge can of worms as we found out with the T19. And the T18, NP435, Tremec, and ZF’s also have multiple gear sets available...

What do you think is a reasonable solution to this need? Links to other sites that have already outlined the topic such as Novac and F150hub? Make a quick ‘n dirty table of generally accepted ratios and ID features? Dig into it further in the Ford literature? How much is in the facts books/shop manuals since these are sourced components?
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - I can use it on my iPhone, but I cannot scroll to the right to see the transmission ratios - which you may not have been able to see either.  Right?

And, speaking of them and your questions:

I have both the wide and close-ratio ZF's in already.  Is there another one?

T19: Kane Ellis has just asked about the 6:32 ratio on FB, so I need to dig back into this.  Perhaps all of my literature will clarify things.

Transmission ID: There are pages for that, so we may need to refer people there.  Or, create our own?

Hmmmm, lots more to do.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Boy that worked for me at Preston and later owned it had an Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser with the 330 V8 and ST 300. We spent about 45 mins one afternoon going through the switch adjustments. After it was done he drove it and came back and told me when he reached the pitch change it was like opening a 4 barrel.

I built some ST 400s for Corvette owners who autocrossed them. On those, we just used a toggle switch along with a modified valve body (changed 2nd from a start in first to start and stay in 2nd like a Ford), the latter after the owner of the first one lost it in a corner on a high speed event when it decided to downshift to 1st on him.

Trivia for you, one of the reasons those mid 60s GM products (Buick. Oldsmobile and Cadillac) launched so nicely in normal driving, at idle (closed throttle) the stator was in high stall, as soon as the linkage moved, it went back to low stall making the car move quickly away, at roughly 3/4 throttle they went back to high stall which acted almost like and extra low 1st gear.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
First, that's not trivia for me.  I read all that in the hot rod mag's back in the day, and learned how to come off the line w/o going into high stall from them.  Turn on the radio (AM back then) and tune to an unused frequency.  Come off the line w/ever-increasing throttle and listen for the "pop" when the solenoid takes it into high-stall.  Keep doing that until you get it into high-stall at about 20' of movement.  That's the fastest launch.  

In my opinion the ST's with the Switch Pitch feature were good transmissions.  Yes, only 2 speeds, but the torque converter made a big difference.  So much so that they are now sought after.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Gary, I’m still having issues with the tool but it may be from lousy cellular data connection. Let me try again from a better spot before I cry foul.

The ZF ratios you have are correct for the S42, but the diesel S47 model has different ratios. I don’t know how if all versions apply to Fords, but there are 3 different T18 ratios, 3 different NP435 ratios, 3 different T19 ratios, and 2 different Tremec 4speed OD ratios. I am also not finding much on the 3 on the tree gear ratios.

I fully agree that there are other sites that do transmission ID nicely, and there is no need to replicate that. Same for general information and specifications. I don’t think it would be a bad thing to post up a quick chart with the ratios so folks don’t have to go on a goose chase to get that answer, but spending a bunch of time copying other websites is just that. Unless you have some better info straight from the literature.

Edit: links to said good sites would be beneficial, however.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
T19: Kane Ellis has just asked about the 6:32 ratio on FB, so I need to dig back into this.  Perhaps all of my literature will clarify things.
Gary, I don’t know where F150Hub got their info., but it says that the 5.11 ratio T19 was only in 1983/1984 model years. It was mentioned a couple of times in the 1983 TV advertisements that we looked at a while back. I don’t know if that helps unravel the mystery of what years/applications got the 6.32 version, but I thought I’d point it out just in case...

http://www.f150hub.com/trans/t-19.html

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
All - I've revised the spreadsheet/calculator to put the tranny/t-case ratios below rather than to the right, and added the E4OD.  But I still have some formatting to clean up.  See what you think.  And comments are appreciated.

Jonathan - I'll try to research the T19 ratio question, but not right now.  I found a latch at 4WD Parts that I want to consider for the bumper........

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Saw one small glitch, you might have seen it also, lower chart MPH @ target RPM, AOD is listed twice in the headers, but mph seems to match E4OD ratios.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, I finally did get the calculator to work with better internet. It is still extremely touchy... one touch wants to highlight a cell, and any additional touch jumps me to the bottom of the page. With some persistence I am able to get the cursor inside the cell. But for being on a phone I can’t complain.

I have a couple of other suggestions.... one would be to add the NP205 transfer case since that is a popular swap/upgrade. The other might be to divide the automatic and manual transmissions into separate blocks. I know that will result in double the output sheets as well, but I think more columns are needed. In my experience the T18 and 4 speed OD are the most common manual units and both are missing, along with the T19. The last is a question more than a suggestion... but was there more than one gear ratio set for the C6? I thought I remembered a discussion on deeper C6 gear options on the diesel board but I might have misunderstood.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
The C6 can be equipped with the E4OD main gearset (behind the OD unit) for a wide ratio build. This might require some throttle valve and governor tweaks to get the upshift points proper for a Diesel. I do know the Diesel torque converter is different, both in stall speed and number of attaching bolts and I suspect the friction elements (band and clutches) may be increased in size and number.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Bill - Thanks, the glitch is fixed.

Jonathan - Here's a table from the 1983 Dealer Facts Book, which I'm using as my source.  But tomorrow I'll see what else I can find with regard to another gear set for the T-19.

Anyway, see what you think.  I have the 3-speed, the T-18, T-19, and 4-speed OD added.  It all seems to fit on one screen - on my computer.  And I'd rather not go to two pages, tabs, etc as I think it is good to be able to compare a manual tranny to an auto.

Oh, and the NP205 is on.

I still have a lot of cleanup to do.  But keep those ideas flowing in, y'all.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
That looks great Gary! And thanks for that table from the ‘83 facts book. It shows 3 different possible overdrive ratios for the 4 speed overdrive. The tables on F150Hub show .78 for everything. That’s why one should ~not copy and propagate every mistake out there on the internet 😬