classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Page: Bullnose Upgrades

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We have a new page: Documentation/Bullnose Upgrades.  This page will provide a thumbnail sketch of each upgrade as well as a link to the page on this site that contains info on the upgrade.

But, you might be wondering what an upgrade is.  Our definition is "An upgrade is a replacement for something that is already on the truck, or a different way of doing something that was already done on the truck."  In other words, an add-on like fog lights isn't an upgrade, but replacing the wiring that drives the headlights with a relay harness is.

And, as said the links will be to web pages on this site.  In other words, not to threads on the forum or to other sites.  But over time we plan to convert information from threads into web pages to which we'll have links on the Upgrades page.

At this point we've gleaned this list of potential upgrade pages from Angelo's recent thread on Necessities, and would hope that we can get some traction on creating pages for these.  But if you have suggestions to add to the list please let us know.

Door Handle Reinforcement Plate
Firewall Reinforcement Plate for Manual Transmissions
Sealed Beam to H4 Bulb Conversion
Borg Warner 1356 oil pump anchor
Slide lock to pin lock is common for 80/81 owners
DSII Ignition
For 6.9 owners water separator bypass (or aftermarket substitute)
Glow plug controller manual control bypass (or 87+ glow plug system swap)
Fuel filter head return line delete are all usually necessary to keep them starting reliably
Cowl seal maintenance is also extremely important to prevent hydrolock.
87-96 visors with center support
85/86 plastic glove box liners
Bricknose polka-dot cowl piece (or screen)
Late style ā€œJā€ wiper arms instead of post mounted blades.
Hydroboost brake booster
Redhead or BlueTop steering box
IDI fuel sending unit plastic suction foot replacement
Later plastic/aluminum master cylinder
ZF5 transmission swap
4,000 or 4,500 medium duty gas tach for the 300 six engine
Dana 60 straight axle swap
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Page: Bullnose Upgrades

Frank Wyatt
In my opinion this will be very relative information that will be easy to access as each of us and new members are able to implement them on our/their trucks as time and money allows. Good job Gary.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Door Handle Reinforcement Plate
Firewall Reinforcement Plate for Manual Transmissions
Sealed Beam to H4 Bulb Conversion
Borg Warner 1356 oil pump anchor
Slide lock to pin lock is common for 80/81 owners
DSII Ignition
For 6.9 owners water separator bypass (or aftermarket substitute)
Glow plug controller manual control bypass (or 87+ glow plug system swap)
Fuel filter head return line delete are all usually necessary to keep them starting reliably
Cowl seal maintenance is also extremely important to prevent hydrolock.
87-96 visors with center support
85/86 plastic glove box liners
Bricknose polka-dot cowl piece (or screen)
Late style ā€œJā€ wiper arms instead of post mounted blades.
Hydroboost brake booster
Redhead or BlueTop steering box
IDI fuel sending unit plastic suction foot replacement
Later plastic/aluminum master cylinder
ZF5 transmission swap
4,000 or 4,500 medium duty gas tach for the 300 six engine
Dana 60 straight axle swap
Swap stock amp gauge to voltage gauge
Swap in new steering shaft (Borgeson aftermarket or later 87-91 Brick shaft)
Delay wiper module
Slding rear window latch upgrade (or upgrade to later style 1995-1996 sliding rear window)
ZF5 transmission swap? (HEY! What about us lowly MTOD-R2 guys?...lol. Just kiddin' Gary)

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
By the way, another neat upgrade or mod is to swap in an Explorer aluminum diff cover. Now this only applies to those of us with 8.8 rear ends, but these covers can be found in junkyards for under $10 (I paid $7.95 for mine). It looks kinda neat...as in it is a knock-off of the much nicer covers available aftermarket, but it IS functional in that it has a much easier to access fill plug, and a drain plug. Factory Ford part too.

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/modifying-an-explorer-aluminum-cover-to-fit-any-8-8.653880/

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Frank - Thanks.  It wasn't my idea.  In fact, looking back on it I'm not exactly sure who had the idea, but several were involved.

Cory - You have a good point about the MTOD-R2.  Perhaps what we need is a page that discusses the advantages and disadvantages of the different transmissions and then pages for how to swap in the options?  IOW, a page that explains that the Bullnose era was during the realization by Ford that overdrives were needed for fuel economy.  At the start of the era there were only these transmissions that had OD, but by the early 90's these transmissions were added.  Thoughts?

Stock amp gauge to voltmeter is covered in the 3G upgrade, but are you thinking it needs to stand alone?

Steering shaft - good one!

Delay wiper - we have that writeup already on the Wipers page, so I added that to the page.  

Sliding rear window latch - good one

8.8" Explorer diff cover - got it.

All of this "work" is really, REALLY making me think about enlisting folks to get it done.  If it is all single-threaded through me it'll never get done.

As I think about it, maybe there are two levels of contributors.  One would be an "author" that creates a Word document with all the verbiage and pictures.  And another would be an "editor" that creates the web page and puts the words and pictures on it.

Volunteers?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
So anyone "adding" something the truck model never came with but did on another model is out .... duel tank flare side using all factory style side Ford parts?

Then again it was not really a "bolt in" just like the rest of "my" upgrades LOL

How about the 38 gallon rear tank in place of the 19 gallon tank?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Cory - You have a good point about the MTOD-R2.  Perhaps what we need is a page that discusses the advantages and disadvantages of the different transmissions and then pages for how to swap in the options?  IOW, a page that explains that the Bullnose era was during the realization by Ford that overdrives were needed for fuel economy.  At the start of the era there were only these transmissions that had OD, but by the early 90's these transmissions were added.  Thoughts?
Gary,
I think for all intents and purposes, the ZF-5 and the M5R2 5spd swaps are pretty much the same, just two different transmissions. I guess you could have a page dedicated to 5spd swaps, and then list the potential candidates for transmissions. I have noticed in the FB groups that there are quite a few guys running the M5OD-R2 transmissions in 1/2 ton pickups, and we have at least one member on the forum here with one of the Tremec 5spds (Mustang trans). I know the ZF-5 is the defacto premier/HD 5spd and is probably the most desirable, but it's not something you see swapped into 2wd 1/2 ton. I suppose it could get fairly convoluted with the various ZF-5 options...small block, big block, diesel, etc. For us 2wd guys, transmission selection is important because of the speedo cable. You are limited to using a truck 5spd from 1988-1991. Obviously, this isn't an issue for the 4X4 guys. There are little quirks and whatnot with these swaps as you recently found out with the rear trans mount, and Reamer had some issues with his slave cylinder and lines. If you're going from an auto to manual, at least with the small blocks, then you also need to do a starter swap.

Gary Lewis wrote
Stock amp gauge to voltmeter is covered in the 3G upgrade, but are you thinking it needs to stand alone?
That is what I was thinking, but only because I'm probably in an extreme minority of people. I'm still running my original 1G alternator and fender mounted voltage regulator, and I don't really have any intention of doing a 3G swap...at least not in the near future. It's in the back of my head, but very low priority compared to other things I need and want more. However, I do want to do that voltage gauge mod. So that is where my head was at...you don't need to change anything. Now that I know where the info is, I can go there to read up on it.

Gary Lewis wrote
All of this "work" is really, REALLY making me think about enlisting folks to get it done.  If it is all single-threaded through me it'll never get done.

As I think about it, maybe there are two levels of contributors.  One would be an "author" that creates a Word document with all the verbiage and pictures.  And another would be an "editor" that creates the web page and puts the words and pictures on it.

Volunteers?
I don't mind helping with some info on the M5OD-R2 swap in a 2wd. I can throw some stuff on a Word doc and email it to you. That way you could copy and paste it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cory - I misspoke.  We actually do have an ammeter page: Documentation/Electrical/Ammeter.  But that one and the one in the 3G page don't really say the same thing, so some rationalization needs to be done.  

On the transmission upgrade, in reality maybe the topic needs to be Overdrive Transmission Upgrades?  And in the thumbnail sketch we could have links to multiple pages as we get them, like E4OD, M5OD, ZF5, etc.

And you can be the first!  Please write up your upgrade and send me the file.  It'll probably take some Q&A'ing for me to get it the way you envisioned it on the page, but we'll get there.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
This post was updated on .
Gary Lewis wrote
....  On the transmission upgrade, in reality maybe the topic needs to be Overdrive Transmission Upgrades?  And in the thumbnail sketch we could have links to multiple pages as we get them, like E4OD, M5OD, ZF5, etc....
Would they have to be "Ford" transmissions?  I know some people won't put anything but a Ford part in a Ford, but given that the M5OD-R2 is made by Mazda, the M5OD-HD is made by ZF and the Mustang trans is made by Tremec none of the "Ford" 5 speeds are made by Ford anyway.

On my Bronco I went with an NV3550.  I'd put that pretty close to the M5OD-R2 but without having the bellhousing be a part of the trans case.  So I used the stock Ford bellhousing with an adapter plate from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard.  That let me stay with the stock mechanical clutch linkage instead of having to convert to hydraulic.  I got the clutch disk from Jeff's as well and use it with the stock Bronco pressure plate.

I don't think the NV3550 attaches to Ford transfer cases without an adapter, but I was putting an Atlas transfer case in, and I'd have needed an adapter if I used a "Ford" trans while the NV3550 bolted right up.

Probably the main advantage is allowing you to use your stock clutch linkage (whatever it is) by just reusing your stock bellhousing.  But the transfer case adapter is a disadvantage.  So it's not for everyone, but it is another option.

edit to add:
As I posted in the "What have you done..." thread, another slight advantage to the NV3550 is the curved shift lever looking a little more period correct (although the shifter knob doesn't)

Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
LOL!  Such a simple daffynition can never cover all possibilities.  Starting on the easy end, the 33/38 gallon Bronco rear tank is certainly an upgrade.  (The 38 is an upgrade to a Bronco, and a Bronco tank is an upgrade to a pickup.)

And adding another tank to a Flareside is surely an upgrade.

As for other transmission installations, Bob, sure!  Write yours up?  If adapters are available then why not?

So, I have a question for y'all.  Is installing a Bullnose front clip on a Bricknose an upgrade?  

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
Gary Lewis wrote
....  As for other transmission installations, Bob, sure!  Write yours up?  If adapters are available then why not?....
I wrote it up in real-time when I installed it back in 2014 here (starting with post #40).  I might get around to writing it up more cleanly, but no promises.

Gary Lewis wrote
....  So, I have a question for y'all.  Is installing a Bullnose front clip on a Bricknose an upgrade?  
Just about anything would be an upgrade there, maybe even rear-ending a dump truck!
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Angelo Voltura
Awesome work Gary, sorry I havent had much time to update all my posts lately my friend. Been working too much!
1978 F150 351W
1979 F150 "410M"
1979 F100 302
1979 F250 400
1987 F150 300
1990 F150 302
1991 F150 300
1995 F150 (1985 clip swapped) 300
1997 F250 351W
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Angelo.

Bob - We'll have a page available for you if you want to write it up.  

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
This is a great reference, I will be looking at this often!
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks