classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Member from Virginia

rock711
Hi all!

Picked up a 1986 F-150 XLT Lariat 4x4 shortbed down in Florida. It was manufactured in Norfolk so it's a lot closer to home now in Richmond, VA. Seems like its had a tough road; the former owners swapped out the original np435 4-on-the-floor for a (leaky) C6 auto at some point, and have spent more money on the stereo and lift than the body and mechanicals.

I'm gonna try and fix that.

So far I've done some minor work (wiper arms, leaky fuel hose, lamps and bulbs, pulled an aftermarket alarm with stuck relays) and swapped the bad hubs for new Warns. The next big job is going to be restoring the trans back to a good old np435 (wish me luck!) The steering column has to be replaced as well, as the lower bearing is shot and I no longer need the column shifter. After I get her back to road worthiness, I'll work on cosmetics (reupholster the bench, new carpet, new tailgate. Here's an exterior shot from when I started:

Anyway, great to be here! I'm sure I'll be hitting you all up for help/info/moral support soon!
– Jeff

1986 F-150 XLT Lariat shortbed 4x4
5.0L 302 CID EFI V-8
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Member from Virginia

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jeff - Welcome!!  Glad to meet you!  

Nice looking truck.  Going to be great when you get things squared away the way you want them.  

Are you "restoring" the truck?  I ask because while the NP435 is tough, if you are going to drive the truck very much one of the transmissions with overdrive might be a welcome choice.

We have a member's map (Bullnose Forum/Member's map in the menu) and I'd be happy to add you if you'd like.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

rock711
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hey Gary. Definitely not a restoration. What OD floor shifting trans would you recommend? I haven’t pulled the trigger in one yet but I’m starting to look. I’d like to keep my transfer case since it’s in good shape (np208f).

And yes, please add me to the map!
– Jeff

5.0L 302 CID EFI V-8
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jeff - You are on the map.

As for the transmission, the recommendation would depend on what you are going to do with the truck.  You have a 302 with what appears to be 35" tires.  What axle ratio do you have?

I ask because the 302 has the least amount of torque of the mainstream engines and yet you have tall tires.  So if you also have tall gearing, like 3.08:1, then you are going to need low gearing in the transmission if you are going to do any towing.

I just did a bit of playing with the calculator (Documentation/Driveline/Calculators) and I dialed in 35" tires and 3.08 gears and find that you'd be turning 1922 RPM at 65 MPH with a 1:1 top gear.  That's not bad RPM for cruising, and you probably wouldn't want any taller gearing, assuming you have those tires and 3.08 gears, with a 302.

Anyway, please tell us what you have and what you want to do with it and then we can discuss the options.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

rock711
Close on the tires! They’re 33”, and according to the VIN it’s a 3.50 conventional rear axle. Not looking to do much (if any) towing, just an around-towner without too many hills.
– Jeff

5.0L 302 CID EFI V-8
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, with 33's and 3.50 gears you'll be turning 2300 at 65 MPH with a 1:1 top gear like the NP435 has.  That is faster than I'd want to turn.  But, I have to remind myself that you have a 302 and I'm used to at least a 351 if not a 460.

The HD tranny with an overdrive is the ZF5, and with it you'd be turning 1760 at 65 MPH.  If your 302 is pretty strong it'll probably pull that fine.  And that would give you a much more relaxed cruise as well as better MPG.

But, the ZF5 is a HD truck transmission and cannot be shifted rapidly w/o hurting the syncros.  So if you are looking for something sportier then maybe the SROD or M5OD.  They can be shifted more quickly and are very capable for most applications.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Speaking of SROD. I've been thinking about removing mine and going to the C6....

I haven't looked, but I have a parts Bronco that I will not be needing the transfer case. Gary, would it be a 208, or the 435 that he is looking for?

In any case, the SROD shifts faster than the ZF5 if I remember correctly. Gary, that was the one I tried to shift like a car waaay back when I drove your dad's truck that one time right? I shift this SROD fairly quickly sometimes. You can feel the synchros trying to catch up with my quick shifts, so I am pushing it to its limits. Once in a blue moon I may hit a gear and it not synch but I am quick on the clutch to release any pressure.

I may swap the Auto locking front axle into my truck from the bronco, and use the C6 in the bronco. I can pair a C6 with the 4.8 LS motor I have sitting here really easily. I don't think I will need this extra t-case, so it may be for sale...
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed