New Member from Millington (Memphis), TN

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Member from Millington (Memphis), TN

Bo Frodo
I just finished drying-in my shop (24 x 30) metal building on slab. Temporarily running extension cords to bldg. Electric contractor to run underground in Feb. I couldn't wait, I pushed my '86 F150 short bed into the shop to begin the "project". Truck has been sitting up for 10 years. A new battery and ground cables and the 302 was turning over. A squirt of starter fluid and it fired, but would not run. Tomorrow I start checking and tracing down the possible problem(s). I must say I am a little intimidated with the EFI engine. I do look forward to hearing from others that have taken this path. I will post pictures later.
I am retired and do not know much at all about fixing a truck, but thank goodness I discovered You Tube and now this forum.
Patient: '86 reg.cab, short bed, 302 V8, EFI, auto trans, sitting out for 10 yrs., not abused just neglected, fires with strtr fld but won't run (yet)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Member from Millington (Memphis), TN

grumpin
Welcome!

Went to tech. school at NAS Millington as a young Marine learning how to work on helicopters.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Bo Frodo
Welcome aboard Bo. Sounds like you've got yourself a nice project there.

There are a couple members on here that have experience with the early EFI trucks, so if you have any questions I'm sure they will be able to help.

Good luck!

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Welcome to the forum!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Bo Frodo
Welcome, again.    This post says you are in Millington, TN.  Want me to put you on the map?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

RE: New Member from Millington (Memphis), TN

Bo Frodo
In reply to this post by grumpin

I’ve been on base several times. I have  many friends that work on base and/or still serve in the Navy.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: grumpin [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <ml+[hidden email]>
Sent: Friday, February 1, 2019 12:12:09 AM
To: Bo Frodo
Subject: Re: New Member from Millington (Memphis), TN

Welcome!

Went to tech. school at NAS Millington as a young Marine learning how to work on helicopters.
1986 F250 XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1997 Mazda 626 LX 2.0L G25M-R
1998 Suburban LT K2500 454 4L80E
Oregon

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/New-Member-from-Millington-Memphis-TN-tp21556p21557.html
To unsubscribe from New Member from Millington (Memphis), TN, click here.
NAML
Patient: '86 reg.cab, short bed, 302 V8, EFI, auto trans, sitting out for 10 yrs., not abused just neglected, fires with strtr fld but won't run (yet)
Reply | Threaded
|

Bo Frodo
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis

Sure , see original reply to your welcome post for location.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <ml+[hidden email]>
Sent: Friday, February 1, 2019 6:50:04 AM
To: Bo Frodo
Subject: Re: New Member from Millington (Memphis), TN

Welcome, again.    This post says you are in Millington, TN.  Want me to put you on the map?
Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/soon-to-be ZF5/3.55's & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/New-Member-from-Millington-Memphis-TN-tp21556p21569.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
I don't get up that far as often as I used to.  One of the managers of Meeman (he might have quit by now) used to own a Bronco, and he took me on some of the trails there years ago.  Another friend who used to run the BroncoData.com site lives halfway to Millington, and runs the Navy's personnel database.  If you need some help, I might be able to run out there some time & take a look at it with you.  EFI is much easier than carbs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bo Frodo
Thanks for the offer of help, I'm in the process now trying to figure out why I'm not getting any fuel. It will crank but not start it hits a few times then dies. If you have any ideas please let me know.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: "Steve83 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts]" <ml+[hidden email]>
Date: 2/3/19 11:33 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: Bo Frodo <[hidden email]>
Subject: RE: New Member from Millington (Memphis), TN

I don't get up that far as often as I used to.  One of the managers of Meeman (he might have quit by now) used to own a Bronco, and he took me on some of the trails there years ago.  Another friend who used to run the BroncoData.com site lives halfway to Millington, and runs the Navy's personnel database.  If you need some help, I might be able to run out there some time & take a look at it with you.  EFI is much easier than carbs.
Walk softly and carry a BIG SIX!!!
https://www.supermotors.net/registry/2742#album
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/New-Member-from-Millington-Memphis-TN-tp21556p21734.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
My first guess would be the injectors are stuck shut.  Same thing happened to the engine I've been driving for the past 30 years when I got it from a JY, and to another I fixed & sold to a friend 8 years ago.  Click each of these & read the captions:

If you have no fuel pressure, the tanks & fuel pumps probably need to be replaced, as the links in that first caption show.

If you have fuel pressure, but no fuel during cranking...
Look closely at the injectors whose connectors are easy-to-see.  Each will have 2 wires: a Red, and another wire.  4 will have the same "other" color, and 4 will a second - these are the injector "banks".  Stab a stickpin through the "other" wire for one bank, turn the key to RUN, and ground the stickpin (against the intake manifold, for example).  If it's really quiet, you should hear each of the 4 injectors "click" open within a minute.  If they're really gummy, it can take longer for them to get warm enough to melt the goo, and 10 years is a LONG time.  Once you hear them open, unground the pin, and jumper the FP relay to keep the pump running (making pressure) while you BRIEFLY ground the pin again.  This washes most of the goo out of the injectors, but it DUMPS gas into the cylinders, so don't ground the pin for more than a second with the pump running.  Repeat for the other bank of injectors, and remove the pin.  Then the engine should start & run "normally".  I'd put SEVERAL cans of Berryman's B-12 pour-in into the tank.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a slick trick!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
This post was updated on .
It also worked on another friend's '88 C1500 5.7L TBI a few weeks ago.