classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New LED Tail Lights

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Saw this on Facebook.  This guy, Jose Garcia, has a FB page called JG Custom LED Lights, and he's been making them for the Bumps and Dents for some time.  Now he's getting into the Bullnose lights.  The others have a directional feature much like the Cougars had.  Don't know if these will, but I'm going to ask him.

The 80/86 Ford F-SERIES/Bronco led taillights are starting to take form, this is my first working prototype so the end product may change a little but not by much, I still need to figured out a few more things before I have a full working unit, but for now I wanted you guys to see how they will look. I don't have a set price for them but base on the amount of work and leds that it takes to make this specific set up, they will most likely cost somewhere around 300$ for the pair, of course I can make a different variation to keep the cost down so we will see what happens.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2484185211645675/

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New LED Tail Lights

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jose said "Yes I will make a different variation with the sequential style."

And I responded with "I like the cottage industries that are starting up around these trucks and want to make sure that everyone knows about them and supports them. So if you want to join the forum and keep us up to date with your offerings that would be good."

We shall see.....

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
And, by the way, I should also say that in my experience just swapping out the incandescent bulbs in our tail lights with LED doesn't really work.  At present I have a new incandescent in one side of Big Blue and an LED in the other.  And at night the incandescent is brighter.

I think the reflector was designed for a point source rather than the LED's that are scattered all over.  Basically what we discussed re headlights.  But Jose's approach should resolve that problem by placing LED's firing directly back, although I wonder how easily they are seen from an angle.

Also, don't miss that he says "I also add a very powerful white led as a back up light to shine up the night."

Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
Thats great!
Brighter backup lights is on my long mods wishlist. Maybe by the time these are for sale Ill be ready for the project.
Im assuming theyll need relays of some sort.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Actually they should pull less current than the existing incandescent bulbs.  So shouldn't need relays.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I have LED 1156 and 1157 in my tail lights.
Both seem way bright enough for me.

Retrofit LED's for automotive applications have come a long way in the past few years.

And while I like Jose's taking the initiative,
A) I'm not really interested in lights that look like an 8bit Nintendo game.
B) Cost 12x what I buy TYC tail lamps for on eBay.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator

Gary Lewis wrote
Actually they should pull less current than the existing incandescent bulbs.  So shouldn't need relays.
In some cases, LED bulbs [used for turn signals] pull so little current that an electronic flasher is needed to control the flash rate. I installed an electronic relay, purchased @ NAPA for ~$13, and it works great for my incandescent bulbs. It flashes at the same rate regardless of idle speed, electrical load or temperature.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
They won't sink enough current to heat up the element in an old mechanical flasher.

I've been using a heavy duty electronic flasher for years.
I can set the flash speed using the trim pot inside the unit.

Now, does anyone else just want to rear end some ricer with those damn flashing brake lights?  

"I had a seizure officer!"
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
I may try them on Darth, but I have relays for my trailer lights, so they should pull enough current to make the flasher work. I just finished building a setup for my Chrysler konvertible as I am trying to use a later steering column that is wired for separate stop and turn lights like European or Asian vehicles. It uses 4 relays to spoof the turn signal system into thinking it has separate bulbs.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
Keep an eye on this and keep us updated. 300.00 is a little rich for my blood, but that might change too.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Will do.  If these are knock-your-socks-off bright I may be in the market.

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
I had some problems finding an LED bulb that would last more then a few months.  I posted my review of Grote's current OEM listings a while back here .  Not quite as dear as the ballpark on those, as much as I like the look of the prototype and idea of a pattern flash.

Downside is the Grotes all offer the integrated side marker that some don't care for.  Some also don't care for the untextured clear "window" at the bottom for license plate illumination if it's hung under the taillight.  Also, I had trouble finding stock with for the Ford connector, but I prefer Weatherpack for new work anyway.

None of those considerations bother me, and I've put more than a year and 5k miles on some pretty rough roads without complaint.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Angelo Voltura
I have factory lenses with Cree 50w red projector leds in my lenses, and my lord they will light up the broad side of a barn a quarter mile down the road.

Curious to see how the sequential will work, and how they worked on the older trucks as well.
1978 F150 351W
1979 F150 "410M"
1979 F100 302
1979 F250 400
1987 F150 300
1990 F150 302
1991 F150 300
1995 F150 (1985 clip swapped) 300
1997 F250 351W
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You can see how they work for the earlier trucks here.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
You can also check with https://easyperformance.com/
As they make custom LED tail lights.
Over on the AMC forum I am on they are trying to get 10+ people to do a group buy as that knocks the price down.
For the AMC LED tail light kit they are also $250 to $300.

Might be able to find something here that will work.
https://www.mustangproject.com/
I have 1 of their early kits for my Javelin tail lights sitting in a box on the shelf along with head lights from some where else that has LED's for park / turn as I an going to install driving lights in the bumper where the factory lights were.

Now for us Flare Side guys we can get Grote LED light assy. but may have a cheaper way for LED tail lights.
IIRC there is a RV trailer light that is about the same shape & size that you might be able to pull apart to remove the LED board and parts. If you cant save the part that fits into the light socket and can get an old bulb and attach the wires to and put it into the light housing socket. Use hot glue to hold the LED board to the housing and you now have LED tail lights. They will not do the fancy blinking but should be brighter.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Gary Lewis wrote
And, by the way, I should also say that in my experience just swapping out the incandescent bulbs in our tail lights with LED doesn't really work.  At present I have a new incandescent in one side of Big Blue and an LED in the other.  And at night the incandescent is brighter.

I think the reflector was designed for a point source rather than the LED's that are scattered all over.  Basically what we discussed re headlights.  But Jose's approach should resolve that problem by placing LED's firing directly back, although I wonder how easily they are seen from an angle.

Also, don't miss that he says "I also add a very powerful white led as a back up light to shine up the night."
Did you use red or white LED's?
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
You want to match the color of your LED to the lens because LED's simulate white light using yellow and blue wave lengths which causes issues when you filter it a second time. You can see the yellow phospor coating on the LEDs. White LED's through red lenses appear dim.

If you get a red LED then your not loosing light. Same with yellow/amber lenses but not as much.

I have these they work great.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I used white LED's.  But I suspect that it is the orientation of the LED's that's the problem in my case.  And I also suspect that since there are dozens, if not hundreds, of LED layouts we could find quite varying results by using different LED's.

So, I'm thrilled that you found some that work.  That takes the hunting, and failure, out of it.  

And I can see that the lens on the brake light portion would cause it to be really bright.  But how bright are the taillights themselves?  And how well did they fit?

Anyway, here's a link to what I think are the ones you found.  Right?

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
I'll see if I can get some pictures at some point. Install was as easy as any normal light
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Do these have an integral ballast, so you don't have to change your load sensing flasher (defeating the ideal of lessening the load)?
 Jim,