New Guy keeping his Grandpa's '84 F150 alive and kicking

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Guy keeping his Grandpa's '84 F150 alive and kicking

JMUBullnose
Hi all!  I'm located in VA and am the happy honor of my grandfather's 1984 F-150. He was the first owner and gave it to me a couple years ago, shortly before his death (RIP Granddaddy).

Luckily he had all the shop manuals for the truck and gave me those plus some spare parts. Since then I've just kept it running with minimal 'repairs' or refurbishments. I've run into the blend door issue, shop at the time pushed the door to the defrost setting so it would pass state safety inspection. I've had the choke element replaced as well (and oil changes).

Other than that, the truck is largely how my grandfather left it when he gave it to me.

Glad to be here!
1984 F-150, 302 CID (5.0 L) Windsor V8, 2 BBL carb, power windows added, remote entry added. AC. Automatic Transmission.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Guy keeping his Grandpa's '84 F150 alive and kicking

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome to the Bullnose Forum!  

And, I'm glad that you are keeping your grandfather's trucks going.  I am especially sensitive to that because I am a grandfather and have two trucks on which I have invested a large amount of time, so want to make sure they are well-treated by my offspring.

On the blend door issue, have you gotten it sorted?  Several of us have run into that problem and have solved it in differing ways.

Again, welcome!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Hey Gary -

Thanks for the welcome! I love this truck - just don't get to drive it as often as I'd like. I'm sure when I go to start it up again, it'll show some "character"! ;)  

I haven't had the blend door issue solved yet - shop wanted $500-750 in mostly labor to disassemble the dash to fix. I've flipped through the shop manuals a bit but haven't had the time to really get under there and poke around yet.

Most pressing is getting the battery recharged and hope I didn't varnish the carb! Last time I drove it, I ran into an odd lurching from engine but it may have been a loose spark plug wire that I reattached but it may have fallen back off (seriously). I've got new wires and plugs though just waiting for warm weather to wrench on it!
1984 F-150, 302 CID (5.0 L) Windsor V8, 2 BBL carb, power windows added, remote entry added. AC. Automatic Transmission.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
JMUBullnose, welcome!

You might want to start a separate thread detailing the items you want to repair and members will try to assist.

Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Will do!