classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Guy here

26ftcobraBBF
Hello all,
I feel so greatful to have found this forum. I come to you from the odd state of Oregon. I've owned my 1985 Ford 7.5L for about 2 years now. Just recently ive been working hard at getting her running how she deserves to. I stumbled upon your forum trying to sort out a fuel problem that this one guy tryed to fix. You may know him, first  
name Jerry last name Rigged. Well to make a long story short Mr Rigged failed at his attempt of a repair. So what I have is this...
-1985 Ford Cobra E350 Econoline class C 26' motorhome with a carbureted 460.
- Hot Fuel handling package, inertia switch, fuel/ vapor seperator, duel tanks with electric fuel pump in each.
The observations/issues/ my assumptions
The issue is I'm having a hard time keeping the float bowls on the carb full on medium to heavy acceleration. If I get into the throttle any more than halfway she falls on her face.
I've observed a cheap looking no name inline 12V fuel pump on the frame rail just upstream from the 6 port tank transfer switch. Also the rear tank fuel tank guage don't work.
I'm assume at some point the pump, or pumps quit working and instead of trouble shooting a wiring issue , or dropping the tank to replace the pumps, Mr Rigged just did what he knows best.
So I'm here today because I'm a carpenter, not a mechanic. I'm hoping to be pointed in a direction that would help me to trouble shoot my issue from start to finish.
Thank you for reading, I'm looking forward to being apart of this forum and will help where I can.

Mike
'85 Ford Cobra Econoline E350 7.5L carbureted thing of beauty
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Guy here

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Welcome! I'm a carpenter with a 460 too.  

The description you mention sounds much more like a stuck check ball or inoperable power valve.
The float bowls should hold enough for at least 30 seconds.

Does the pump look brand new?
Like someone tried.... and gave up?

First, check your aftermarket pump for volume.
Disconnect after the fuel/vapor separator, because the screen inside these is known to clog up.
If you don't get a cup every 15 seconds you should look into that.
Disconnect before the separator and see about volume coming from the pump, direct.

If you want to get into the Hot Fuel Handling system we need to confirm the basics first.
#1) fuse
#2) inertia switch
#3 oil pressure safety switch
#4) fuel pump relay
#5) selector relay (if applicable)

Our member Cory 'Rembrandt' recently bought an E-Series class C as a project.
We have others with both C & A coaches.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 26ftcobraBBF
Yes, welcome!  Glad you joined!  

Jim has given you some good advice on troubleshooting so I'll wait to see what you find.  But you probably ought to start a thread in the main section on the troubleshooting as you'll get more help there than here in the New Members section.

An '85 motorhome is cool!  I want to see pics!

As for the "odd state of Oregon", what's odd about it?  We've noted that there are some of the best preserved trucks out there due to the lack of salt on the roads and lower UV levels.  But where are you?  I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we could add you if we had a city or zip.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona