classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Guy here

john
I’m John from Odessa, Tx.

Recently lost my 2008 Lariat to a red light running driver in an intersection   😿. No one hurt but had planned on keeping it forever.

I’m retired and don’t want to spend $50K on a new ride. So I bought a non running 1981 f150 single cab 4spd SROD w300 six.
PS, PB, factory AC.

No cancer but the Texas sun has totally cooked all the dash, door panels and seat.
John in Odessa, Tx
1981 F150, Custom base model
Holley 390 w/Offenhauser intake
EFI exhaust
T170 SROD transmission
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Guy here

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Welcome into the fold John!  

Sorry to hear about your 'forever' truck, but I'm glad you've found us.

Your engine seems a lot like what one of the CT chapter members, Josiah, put together

Is it running now?
Can you post a picture or two?
We always love to see what others are driving and working on.

What are your plans?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

john
I bought it as non running. Nothing was broken but starter ring gear was shot.

I pulled it and sent it to the machine shop. I’m supposed to get it back on 8-10-20.

Head was cracked and block was already bored .040 over sized.
They had to go to.060 to get it straight. I’ve found a 240 head that will increase the compression ratio.

I’m not too concerned about MPG   I’m looking for Smiles Per Gallon.

John in Odessa, Tx
EFI exhaust
T170 SROD transmission
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Wow, so you're pretty deep into it.

I'm really surprised your machine shop needs days to torch on a ring gear and Blanchard grind a flywheel.
But I'm glad to know they're busy!
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by john
Yes, welcome!  

And sorry about the accident.  That's a shame.

Odessa?  Want to be on our map?  Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu.

I worked for Conoco, and back when the bottom fell out many decades ago the running joke was "What do you call a petroleum engineer in Midland/Odessa?"  The answer was "Hey, waiter!"  Unfortunately I knew many out there that lost their jobs.

Those bearings look well worn.  But with the .060" over-bore and the 240 head you should get a bit of spunk out of the 300.  

Does your '81 have slide locks?  How 'bout clear turn signal lenses.  And, when and where was it made?  I've done some research on that and it appears the change back to pin locks and to amber lenses were done on a by-plant basis.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Welcome!
Reply | Threaded
|

john
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Yes the machine shop is busy but I could have worded the info better.

I dropped off the block, head and crank to be checked and repaired as needed. The shop found the cracked head and worn cylinders. The crank was fine so it was polished and returned to me.

I priced a new ring gear plus labor then elected to buy a new flywheel for the same money.
John in Odessa, Tx
EFI exhaust
T170 SROD transmission
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
john wrote
I priced a new ring gear plus labor then elected to buy a new flywheel for the same money.
I went the same way when I swapped in my Zf-5.
That came back to bite me.  
I've had ongoing starter issues.

But hopefully when I get back 'home' and pull my engine to swap oil pumps, replace the oil pan gasket and more, I'll be able to torch on the new ring gear without any trouble.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

john
Yes, please add my info to the members map.

Mine is a Custom base model build date of 6-81 without slide locks on door panels just the normal pin style pointing up. All the turn indicator lenses are amber.

I’m not sure where to find where it was made.

Conoco eh?  I got 35 years with Amoco -> Altura -> Oxy before being retired.

I don’t mind sharing pics and info. Should I start a new thread in the project area?
John in Odessa, Tx
EFI exhaust
T170 SROD transmission
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
John - You are now on the map.

On the pics, where you do them is your call.  I do most of my threads in the main section, but some prefer the Projects section.  So it is up to you.

Yes, Conoco.  Did the circuit of Ponca City, London, Houston.  Had 20+ years with them then DuPont bought us and I got transferred to Wilmington, DE.  I was in IT and they outsourced theirs and I went with the outsourcer.  Moved to Chicago for a major account, which we lost and I decided to retire and moved back to OK.  Now I play with trucks. Lots more fun.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by john
I forgot the "where it was made".  Go to Documentation/Specifications/Certification Label.  That will let you decode that label, which is on the driver's door post, and in it is the info on where it was made.

Reply | Threaded
|

john
Thanks for the tip.

The 11th character of my vin number is “u”  .
So my pea kup was made in Louisville, Ky???
John in Odessa, Tx
EFI exhaust
T170 SROD transmission