classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Automotive Technology

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Today we took Janey's 2014 GLK 250 (diesel) into the dealership for routine maintenance, new tires, and an estimate on collision repair.  (We were rear-ended while stopped 10 days ago.)  They gave us a loaner 2018 GLC 300, and it sparked a conversation with the guy at the dealership, wherein I learned that:

Mercedes is leaving the automotive diesel market in the US.  In toto.  Nor more diesels.

This thing has a way of saving energy while you drive.  It has a 2nd battery that is said to store lots of energy but only for short periods, more like a capacitor than a battery.  And it gets charged by regenerative braking.  So when you touch the brake you see a "Charge" meter on the dash go up.  Normal starts in the morning use the main battery, but when the engine shuts off at a light it starts when you hit the throttle using the auxiliary battery.

Mercedes is changing to 48v electrical systems in the near future.

In the next 5 years automotive technology will change more than it has in the history of the automobile.

Interesting conversation.  Oh yes, he said he had an 80's pickup many years ago.  It was his father's and one day it just quit.  His parents told him he could have it if he got it running.  He said he tracked it down the thing thing on the distributor, sticking out at the bottom.  I said "Oh, you had an '85 or '86 with the TFI ignition."  He seemed surprised.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Automotive Technology

1986F150Six
Administrator
Sorry to hear about the accident. I hope you and Janey are okay.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks.  Janey was a bit sore the next morning but I'm fine.  However, we had an older couple (yes, there is older than we) with us and she immediately complained of her back hurting.  She's been to the chiropractor and had an x-ray, which showed a couple of discs out of place.  He put them back and after a follow-up treatment she's doing well.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Wow. That is terrible Gary. So sorry to hear about the wreck and I hope everyone makes a full recovery 😰

About the auto future, I will say that Jan tells me that diesel cars are now shunned in Europe and are flat out being banned and outlawed in some areas. Amazing. Europe has always championed the diesel power plant and now the attitude is completely reversed. They are viewed as Eco unfriendly in spite of their efficiency and the bio fuel potential. So it’s not surprising to hear that Mercedes is getting out of that market.

Harnessing braking inertia is a great idea... but I do wonder what all of this high tech is going to cost and whether common people will be able to afford vehicles in the coming years. Don’t get me wrong, we are not on a sustainable trajectory which will have to end regardless... but it does make me pause to think....

On a similar line of thought, has anyone heard of the CO2 fuel factories? I saw this video on FB and it sounds way too good to be true, yet interesting:

https://www.facebook.com/vicecanada/videos/2155210727842481/
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
This post was updated on .
Too good to be true? Absolutely.

You stumbled upon one of our Canuck struggles there. We are on the verge of what our federal government calls a carbon tax and some of us don't like it at all. That project is located in British Columbia and they support programs like this while opposing pipelines and domestic oil production. This does not play well at all in oil producing provinces like Alberta and Saskatchewan. It is a dreamers approach and CO2 is quite different from hydrocarbons, although the former is a product of combustion. I won't even start on whatever else our federal leaders are pushing our way, although legalized pot may make this easier to understand.

I'll offer a counterpoint. https://www.wired.com/story/the-potential-pitfalls-of-sucking-carbon-from-the-atmosphere/
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Ford F834 wrote
About the auto future, I will say that Jan tells me that diesel cars are now shunned in Europe and are flat out being banned and outlawed in some areas. Amazing. Europe has always championed the diesel power plant and now the attitude is completely reversed. They are viewed as Eco unfriendly in spite of their efficiency and the bio fuel potential. So it’s not surprising to hear that Mercedes is getting out of that market.
I took a picture of the "dirty" TDI VW's at the junkyard last week. They were bringing them in by the truck load and they were all getting lined up for the crusher. Mostly 2009-2012 models, and some of them looked perfectly fine too. Apparently they had a rep from VW there to witness them being crushed to make sure nobody removed any parts from them beforehand.

I'm still driving an 06 BRM Jetta, so I don't have to worry about the emissions scandal, but still...I hate seeing all those cars go for scrap.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
So much information!  

Ok, to start off, the GLK handled the rear impact admirably, and the more-believable of the two estimates is $2600, but that's before they get it apart and we all know it'll go up when they do.  However, two days after the rear-ending a kid opened a car door into the driver's fender - and the estimate on that is $1400.  

We love the car so much that there's no thought of trading it.  Nor is there an issue of emissions since it actually produces fewer of them than today's gasoline engines.  So it is a keeper and we are keeping it well maintained.

As for the carbon removal technology, that was an interesting video.  I wasn't aware that they are doing that.  And, while the article suggested that relying on that technology would be foolhardy, I can see that developing it would be a good approach - while still mandating the change necessary to reduce CO2 emissions.