classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Need Help Reaching FTE'ers About The Show & Swap Meet

Gary Lewis
Administrator
FTE has determined that my posts there about the show & swap meet are in violation of their rules and they are in the process of deleting the posts.  I wasn't aware of that rule and know others that weren't, but apparently that's their ruling.  So, I apologized.

They did officially suggest that I call it an FTE Oklahoma chapter get-together and then the posts could stay.  But, since it is not associated with FTE and is an international event, not an Oklahoma one, calling it a chapter get-together would be dishonest - so I declined.

Fortunately the other forums, like FSB, Fordification, Broncozone and others where I've posted apparently don't have the same rule so their members will know about the show.  But, it appears that our friends at FTE are going to be in the dark.

Given that, if you know of other ways to get the word out to them please let me know.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Need Help Reaching FTE'ers About The Show & Swap Meet

85lebaront2
Administrator
Well, in my opinion FTE went to be run by some gal named Helen, Helen A. Handbasket after Internet Brands bought them. I tried editing my signature and it kept telling me I had too many lines, so I just left it alone. I hardly ever go on there now, all the important people are on here.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - My intent isn't to publicly bash IB/FTE staff.  But, I can agree that the people on here are the best.    However, there are still lots of good people on FTE, and I'd like to let them know about the show because I think they'd enjoy it.

When I checked this morning before they started removing them, my posts had been viewed right at 1000 times in the two days or so they've been up.  In other words, many FTE'ers are interested.  However, unless their memories are far better than mine is, the date will be forgotten in the intervening 6 months between now and the show.  It would be nice to figure out a way to remind them periodically.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
This is a tough one Gary... since the way to reach FTE’ers is through FTE and they are rejecting your posts. I can’t help but think this is personal, since they have also taken steps to remove links to your website and this forum. I am thinking if someone other than you posted about it, the result would probably be the same. I don’t think the rules could prevent myself or others from discussing it, say, in our build threads but it would not get nearly the exposure as it would as it’s own topic. Dad’s truck build thread probably has the largest subscription base, and maybe the occasional update on progress you are making to get it ready for the show would be one way to at least make people aware that it is happening and mention the date... but it does not do much to reach the non 80-86 sections.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Could you put the info. in your signature on FTE?

Or would you rather not risk them seeing it?

That is tough. You're trying to do the right thing though by being honest with FTE, good job!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - I hadn't thought about posting in one of the many Dad's threads.  That would get some coverage, but as you say that would only be a subset of the whole Ford truck community on FTE.  In fact, it would be a subset of that subset.

I do believe that the person deleting my posts wants to ban me from FTE, so I suspect that even if I do a Peter/Paul/Mary and "lay it between the lines" I'll get banned.  He's already told me I can't promote my personal interests.  And, I'd bet he's watching for anyone else to mention the show, which would get their posts edited or them banned.  While banning me is no biggee as I'm planning to not go back, I don't want that to happen to anyone else.  And, if it is against their rules then it would be wrong to do.

Grumpin - I'm pretty sure they'd take any reference to the show out of my signature.  They've already edited my signature and posts to take out links to this site, so that would be consistent with their mode of operation.  And, since they've done that they'd probably ban me if I put something in there about the show.

Oh well, I guess the FTE'ers out there will be unaware of the show.  That's a shame as there are a lot of good people on there, and I'm pretty sure they'd enjoy the show.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
This is what happens to a good site when it becomes a commercial product and advertising revenue becomes the most important concern. They bought a number of automotive sites and have turned them all into revenue sources. This is why we are seeing more and more rival sites trying to get started. I am admin for two Ford groups on FB, one is Ford Dually Trucks and the other you know about. There is also a Bullnose group, if you are not a member, I can ask one of the admins if it would be acceptable to advertise your meet.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's one of the reasons that I have vowed not to allow advertising on this forum/website.  I do get hit up by various parties periodically to put advertising on, and it would probably make me some money.  But I'm not going to do that.  

Do you think that's what worries those at FTE about this site?  People come here and enjoy the clean, simple layout and then go to FTE and are barraged with advertising unless they buy a membership?  I could see that if your livelihood is threatened you might do things you wouldn't otherwise.

Anyway, I would be interested in advertising on the Bullnose facebook page, and see that you've sent me an invitation.  Thanks.

What about the 460 site?  If I get last year's flier revised could we post it there?

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Probably since I am an admin on that site, I will ask the fellow who started it, but I do not think it will be an issue. We had a long back and forth the other night on FB regarding some of the issues and method of approving applicants. I have sent friend requests to the 3 admins on the Bullnose group and when one or more responds I will ask and relay it to you. Maybe even get a link to your site in the group.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
It is a sad state, but very true. I saw a lot of dirt bag behavior on the diesel board that went unnoticed, but the split second that a whif of business mis-use was mentioned it was like chumming shark infested waters. It still pains me because a lot of good people were members and some still are.

Gary, I did not realize that the sentiment was that bad. It’s actually hard for me to believe that you could be violating the rules since this not a business or a for-profit event, but clearly they don’t see it that way. It would be nice if they would participate in the event instead of banning it, but that is the very thing that made it all go sideways last year (refusing to supply even simple swag or the least bit of FTE support). The fact that they are turning around and asking you to call this a chapter event is insulting.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I appreciate the support, guys, but my intent with this thread wasn't to bash IB/FTE.  In reality, I have a lot to thank them for:

If IB hadn't broken the photo albums where I'd spent considerable time creating how-to's I never would have started my website.  Now there are over 400 pages of documentation that can be found nowhere else, and that is growing weekly.

If they'd have come through with the promised trinkets for last year's meet I'd not have realized I was funding something that was bringing in potential members, and therefore advertising money, for them.
  So we wouldn't have the Garagemahal show that is now attracting international interest.

Had IB Tim not called me and promised to try to fix things and pledged to call back but hasn't in a year and a half I might have not figured out how to create this forum.

So, I'm grateful to IB and FTE.  And I have a lot of friends at FTE.  So, how do we reach them about the show?  Perhaps each of you know some that you can email, IM, text, PM, etc?  I'll be doing the same with those I know, but as I'm sure FTE wouldn't approve I won't be using IB/FTE PM's to do that.

I'll get you the new flier as soon as I can so you can pass it on.  And maybe our friends can pass it on to their friends and we can have a geometric progression.  (I'm reminded of the film we saw in grade school about atomic energy where they had a room full of mouse traps with ping pong balls on them.  They tossed one ball in and the room "exploded".)

Thanks in advance.

Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
85lebaront2 wrote
This is what happens to a good site when it becomes a commercial product and advertising revenue becomes the most important concern.
In a nutshell, that's the gist of it - when money is involved, all the rules change.

Somebody is sure to make an analogy...

Say, there's a street intersection in some small, podunk town that has a few fast-food restaurants condensed together on the corners. Competition for people's money.

An aging grandma who loves to cook decides she makes better deserts than the commercial establishments sell, and she sets up a small stand nearby where she gives away her tasty creations for free. Fine.

But she cannot go to the nearby commercial establishments and hand out fliers advertising her freebie deserts, that won't fly. Even though she's not charging money for her chocolate-covered sopapillas, the other restaurants will see her as taking money from them.

It's a shame everything worked out the way it did and IB couldn't adequately (even minimally) support you as a CL, my original thoughts were that the two sites would operate in harmony. But everything happens for a reason, and this is not to be. C'est la vie.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
It is sad, a bunch of people trying to keep their old Ford's running and share information.

And I'm not bashing IB/FTE, just that money talks.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
Sure is too bad IB feels threatened? I still post on FTE, but if they have made this page a target, well, I'm happy to be forewarned.

As to spreading the word, I know Morris Korol, (FoMoKo1) is running a FB page these days called Saskatchewan F-100s. I'm friends with him on FB, think Chris may be too.

Sure would be nice to have a convoy of Saskatchewieners heading down to Oklahoma. Are you ready for that?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Vinny from Newfoundland is coming, so why not more Canucks?  Would love to have you!  Please seriously think about coming.  And bring your wife.  As you can see on the Outing For Wives thread, there will be things for them to do.  And on Friday nite my wife, Janey, and I are hosting a meet and greet at our house for all that have come from out of town, as well as some of the "locals".

This looks to be a banner year, so don't miss it!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ctubutis
Chris - That's an interesting analogy, but it doesn't completely fit in this example.  With restaurants there's just so much people eat or spend per day.  But with forums people tend to join several that match their interests.  Besides this forum I had been a contributor on FTE as well as several others.

Having said that, the giving-things-away bit of the analogy does fit.  I fund the whole of the website, forum, show, and get-together, and there is no advertising of any kind.  (Well, that's not quite true because Ron/reamer advertises his wares, but I don't get any of those funds.)  So I do see why FTE is upset.  Why would people want to go there and see all of those adverts when they can come here and not have them?  Further, where is the documentation they need?  FTE or here?  Why not come here, for free, in the first place instead of going there and being directed back here?

(Side story: Scott Ringler, who is a member on here and is the "welder man" from last year's show, was over today - see the soon-to-be writeup in WHYDTYTT.  He said he's been going to FTE 'cause he has a '78 and this site is about Bullnose trucks.  But he thinks he's going to quit FTE 'cause he keeps getting trapped by Amazon adverts and has to close the browser window to get out.)

So, now that I think about it I understand why IB/FTE is concerned.  Makes perfect sense.  Or, makes no cents at all.