classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Need Help Creating Footer

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I need your input on what instructions would be helpful to put into a footer that would appear at the bottom of an embedded PDF.  But let me 'splain:

The way I'm currently placing PDF documents on the website is by embedding a set of code that OneDrive gives me, and that displays the document on the page.  But it isn't intuitively obvious to the casual observer how to manipulate or peruse that document.  And there are no instructions included.

For example, you can use the scroll bar in the doc to move up/down.  Or, you can left-click in the doc and use your mouse or the arrow keys or the page-up/down buttons.  In addition, at the bottom of the document's frame there is a zoom control, download/print/feedback button, and a "full screen" button.  And that "full screen" button is important as it gets you the ability to search the document for any term you'd like.

I've been trying to find a way to explain some or all of that to the user, and I think I found it last night.  It is a set of code that displays whatever text we want permanently at the bottom of the document's frame.  And, I have an example thereof on my Test Page.

Please have a look and let me know what things you think should be explained in that footer.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Need Help Creating Footer

grumpin
I think it's good for the things I would do.

i.e. make it bigger (full screen), copy it, save it to my computer, scrolling.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks.  But it occurred to me that we might make changes to the footer as we go, and if I embed code on each page I'll have to revisit each page to tweak it.  But, if I create a Word doc and embed it then I can tweak it in the background and it'll show up automagically on each page.

I have, so see what you think.  It would be one or the other.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Seems the same. Good to me, especially if it makes things easier for you.

Edit: Real easy to print from the Word Online Doc.!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it is easy to print what you want from Word Online.  

And, using a Word doc instead of the HTML code is FAR easier for me.  We may have currently have ~100 pages with embedded pdf's, but if I do the full set of TSB's there will be over 1000 TSB pages alone.  And each of those pages, plus all the other pages of embedded pdf's, ought to have that explanation.  So, if later we decide that there's an error in the explanation and we've used HTML I'd have to visit each and every page with the code and paste in new code.  But, if I use an embedded doc then I just edit the doc and voilĂ , each and every page will change.

So, it'll be the Word doc approach.  Now we just have to get the words right.  And I'll take all the input I can get on that.  So if there's something that you question on how to use it please ask.

Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Have you tried embedding a PHP footer in your HTML? PHP allows you to create a file eg footer.php that includes whatever information you want (in this case, document reading instructions), and inject the footer on every HTML page that ask for the footer. There are plenty of online examples that explain the concept.
1984 Bronco 351 Holley Sniper EFI, 3 Speed Ford Auto.
1986 Bronco 302 EFI, AOD, Eddie Bauer, with 3G alternator.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Vic - PHP is new to me.  I will read up on it.  But I don't really have HTML.  From what I understand OneDrive does create HTML to display the document, but it isn't HTML that I can edit.

Anyway, I'll read up on it.  Thanks.