NP435 clutch job

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

NP435 clutch job

Dawson81
Well It was bound to happen my clutch has given up the ghost this morning and due to my recent job change I don’t have a bay with a rack and my tools available anymore, I know it’s heavy as hell, but is there anyone that has done in it in their driveway before that can give me a few pointers? It would be greatly appreciated, also I’m not sure if it has the 10 or 11 inch clutch
84 f150 4x4 Swb granny low 331 roller
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: NP435 clutch job

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I've done plenty of clutches in my driveway.

With 4x4 I remove both sticks, the plate on the tunnel and the transmission mount.
Then after dropping the driveshafts I use my floor jack and a ratchet strap to pull the gearbox+transfer case back onto the crossmember, until it's wedged under the cab.

Depending on your exhaust you may have to remove one (or both) headpipes.
If the flywheel isn't all scored up or covered in blisters you can get away with breaking the glaze with carbide paper or emery on a block.
You usually have enough room to get the pilot bearing puller in there.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dawson81
You probably won't know what clutch is in it until you see it.
Most people just go with the bigger clutch if the flywheel is drilled for both.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dawson81
It was neither one or had a king cobra 10 1/2
84 f150 4x4 Swb granny low 331 roller