Mystery Lugs

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mystery Lugs

baddog8it
While under the rear end trying to identity my rear axle, I saw these lugs.  Curious as to what they're for.  One on each side, mid height on the frame, inside the wheel well.  The one on the right side is very near the exhaust hanger.  Any ideas?

On a side note, the above picture (at least in the preview) is rotated 90 degrees.  Any way to force orientation within the forum?  I didn't see any settings when attaching the pic.  When I open the pic in an external view, it is correctly oriented.
THE BEAST - '85 F350 2WD (non dually) Crew Cab, 460 carbureted, C6 tranny
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mystery Lugs

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've seen those lugs on the bottom of the frame, but not on the side.  And when on the bottom they are to hold the frame, and then the vehicle as it is built, on the assembly line.  I'd bet they are for the same thing.

As for the pic, there's no way to rotate it in the forum.  It has to be done externally.  Most editing software will do that just by opening and then saving the file.  It reads the metadata, recognizes the rotation, and adjusts
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

baddog8it
The program that I use to view pics (Irfanview) orients it correctly - I assume by reading some metadata.  Nabble is either misreading the same metadata, or is reading some other metadata.
THE BEAST - '85 F350 2WD (non dually) Crew Cab, 460 carbureted, C6 tranny
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by baddog8it
baddog8it wrote
...these lugs.  Curious as to what they're for.
They're threaded, so look INSIDE the frame to see what they're holding in there.  If nothing, I'd guess they were for some aftermarket accessory that has been removed, like traction bars, air springs, a gooseneck hitch plate...
baddog8it wrote
Any way to force orientation within the forum?
Rotate the pic on your computer, save it, and re-upload.  Windows Photo Viewer (part of Win7) will do it, but I generally use MS Paint for photo editing.  If you don't like/have either of those, I also like XN View because it allows editing metadata, among many other features.
https://www.xnview.com/

...and it's free.
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
No, items like that are there for assembly. They are on lots of vehicles.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Nabble, and many others forums, doesn’t read metadata. So if your program does, let it orient the pic and then save it. Then if you post it it’ll be right.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

844rd
Cool, I too have wondered what those were. Makes sense now.
Kevin 84 F-150 300 i6 Manual 3 speed overdrive 2.47 rear end
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
PetesPonies wrote
No, items like that are there for assembly. They are on lots of vehicles.
The shipping/assembly-line pegs on these trucks point down; not sideways.  And they're not threaded.  Those are aftermarket bolts.